Race Starts - "What just happened?? I think I ran over my buddy!"

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
There has been a small discussion around the start of CX races going on and I'd like to slam some words into the machine and file it in it's own place. Please slam any words you have right on in with mine!
Perhaps this will be the first index-able edition of @Delish 's free watt thread.

From our first caller @hotsauce
Long time listener, first time caller. Love the show...

HELP HELP HELP!!
As my first season racing cross coming from the road, I'm getting comfortable with the technical skills and feel like I have a big enough engine for now. My biggest struggle is doing well at the start. Every race I get swamped and then spend the last 90% of the race trying to make up the ground I lost which is getting frustrating! As I'm getting ready to upgrade to Cat 4, staying towards the front is going to matter more and very well could have been the difference between me and points the last few races. Outside of peddling like hell, what should I do to do better at the start?

Town Hall video*

Nittany video for reference*

*watch at 2x speed, its a 4/5 race after all

Anyone will tell you the start is the most important part of a CX race. The further up you are the sooner the better off you will be. Some beginner races will stage by order of reg but more often then not you will be staged by series points or cross result points. Either way it is basically certain at some point you will be at the back of a giant field staging in the 10th or even 17th row. Weather you're a first time cat 5, a recently upgraded cat 3 or a lottery drawing UCI elite racer you're going to have to deal with the suck.

What do you need to know and how do you make the best of a start?

1. Slot Selection - Upon call up you roll into the grid and may choose any of the open spaces for a given row. How to pick??
-Does being on one side or the other give you an advantage?
A sharp corner with a hard brake in the hole shot is guaranteed to be a shit show. You can either A. Dive bomb the inside with approximately 50% of the field and probably end up in a crash. B. Middle line which is really just the suburbs of the shit show inside, you may get some fall out. Or C. The outside. Don't write off the outside line on an opening corner. The person density is typically much lower. While it may not be faster more often then not it may be smoother, and if you avoid a pile up on the inside it will definitely be smoother.

-Do you see a fast guy you know and have raced with before? A fast wheel is a good place to be.

2. Stay calm - Starts are stressful, keep cool, talk with the people around you, make some new friends, make fart noises. DON'T BE A SERIOUS GOOBER. If you're reading this you're probably not a pro, keep the start grid chill, brah.

3. GO -

3a. Clip in as quick as you can. You will make more power clipped in then not. Towards the back of staging you will see the front of the race moving away before you even move. Watch the rows ahead of you an time yourself to move forward with the row ahead of you. If the guy ahead of you is moving and your foot is still on the ground you're doing it wrong.

3b. Pedal your face off. Don't let the guy ahead of you pull away.

3c. IF YOU SEE AN OPEN SLOT AHEAD GET YOURSELF INTO IT. If it's open you should go for it. You belong there and you need to make up spots now. Some rubbing is normal. It will be uncomfortable if you're not used to it but above all stay cool and go with the flow. If you loose your cool and do something like panic and counter steer you're going to crash or cause a crash. Just hold your line and above all..
3d. COMMUNICATE with the people around you. No one really wants to end their race with a crash in the hole shot.

The field is now fanned out. Hopefully you stayed upright and moved up as much as you could. Your heart is redlined but every corner you're telling yourself smooth is fast.

BUT HOW DO I GET FASTER AT STARTS?
Really watts are only half the equation. You need to be confident and assertive with every move you make that first minute. I personally need to have a conversation in my head to get a little aggro. I'm not a very aggressive person so without a little pump up I bleed spots. Tell yourself it's time for battle and get into a mental state where you are ready to deal with the suck. AGAIN - don't be a boner, just get yourself prepared to deal with some crazy shit.

Q&A
Q:
ZOH MY GOD. I RAN SOMEONE OVER, WHAT DO I DO?!
A: Yes, welcome to CX. It's going to happen someday. Try not to hurt anyone we have work Monday, please apologize but if you don't end up on the ground you should probably keep going - there is half a field ready to run you over.

Q: ZOH MY GOD, SOMEONE JUST TOUCHED MY BUTT, WTF!?
A: I think that's more of a statement but yes, some people touch butts (or backs) to let you know they are behind you. Wordless communication.

Calling all CX gurus @Delish @pearl @Robin @jShort @Norm

Please add your thoughts!

Ask any questions you want about starts here!

Revision A - 9/27/16

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Really watts are only half the equation.

Ha, this is funny. Watts are, without question, at least 90% of the equation.

There are clearly 2 different kinds of people out there. This is sort of that, "there are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't".

10 - Excuse Me Stewardess, I speak Binary

You are a seasoned cross vet. You are likely not reading this with the exception of @The Heckler and maybe @Delish. But you are not reading this to learn. You are reading this to pass the time from 9-5 and to see what others have said or are asking.

It is my opinion that the people in this field more or less end up in some range of finishing spots no matter how you start. I have shot out and started races in 2nd before, and I have started last. When I am in my best shape none of this matters. I generally finish where I finish. Having said that, this line of thought is an advanced concept and honestly is beyond the scope of this conversation. More than likely you need to move to the next section.

01 - WTF is this Binary Sh!t

Ok so you are new at this. In the post above, Matt says a lot of things. Some of them are pertinent to you, some are not. You are reading this because you are a beginner.

So there are 2 ways to start a race:

1. Let it happen, and let the race come to you. Climb the ladder as the race progresses.
2. Be aggressive and take as much as you can and hold on for dear life.

Let me rephrase this. You are a vulture, and there is a dead deer on the road:

1. I'm gonna sit here across the road and wait for my friends to eat, then maybe I'll grab some leftovers
2. F this noise, give me the raw, maggot-infested carrion!

Ok ok...

One major jump you will make in both mountain biking and cross is when you start firing out of the gate like your balls (or equivalent preferred female genitalia) are on fire. Then you hang on for dear life. You're the cat that jumped up to the top of the chalk board, and you are sliding down with your nails screeching, making everyone cringe. In order to make the leap from "oh hey look, a bike race" to "I must kill the bike race" you need to do this.

This will go the following way:

1. Start really fast
2. Oh shit, this is better than I thought
3. I can see the leaders ass!
4. Oh I get it, "it says ASSets on his ASS". That's kinda...well lame but hey I can see his ass
5. Oh, um, what's this pain forming in my legs?
6. OMG who are these people passing me so fast?
7. Wait is my bike braking on it's own?
8. Wait! Wait! Ok fine the ASSets thing is kinda ok now!
9. Man, omg, man, omg
10. WTF 5 LAPS TO GO?!?!?!

Just do this, repeatedly, until line 10 progresses like this over the course of the season:

10. WTF 5 LAPS TO GO?!?!?!
10. WTF 4 LAPS TO GO?!?!?!
10. WTF 3 LAPS TO GO?!?!?!
10. WTF 2 LA...oh shit it's only 2.
10. WTF I'M ON THE BELL LAP AND THEY HAVEN'T PASSED ME YET

And so on.

seanrunnette

Brain Damaged Ray Romano
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Subscribed, and checking the mental prep I do prior to race-starts. After over 100 of 'em, I should have some idea, but it's a blur. And this year is even weirder. Something about turning 50 makes diving for the open holes less enticing. I don't want the CX version of an STD. (I've already got the CX version of alcoholism, which is just like being a real alcoholic, only you drink in a field and pass out on the grass.)
Am going to KMC-used-to-be-Providence on Sunday. Will report back on what old people do in groups.
Thanks for starting this starting-this thread.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
There has been a small discussion around the start of CX races going on and I'd like to slam some words into the machine and file it in it's own place. Please slam any words you have right on in with mine!
Perhaps this will be the first index-able edition of @Delish 's free watt thread.

From our first caller @hotsauce

Anyone will tell you the start is the most important part of a CX race. The further up you are the sooner the better off you will be. Some beginner races will stage by order of reg but more often then not you will be staged by series points or cross result points. Either way it is basically certain at some point you will be at the back of a giant field staging in the 10th or even 17th row. Weather you're a first time cat 5, a recently upgraded cat 3 or a lottery drawing UCI elite racer you're going to have to deal with the suck.

What do you need to know and how do you make the best of a start?

1. Slot Selection - Upon call up you roll into the grid and may choose any of the open spaces for a given row. How to pick??
-Does being on one side or the other give you an advantage?
A sharp corner with a hard brake in the hole shot is guaranteed to be a shit show. You can either A. Dive bomb the inside with approximately 50% of the field and probably end up in a crash. B. Middle line which is really just the suburbs of the shit show inside, you may get some fall out. Or C. The outside. Don't write off the outside line on an opening corner. The person density is typically much lower. While it may not be faster more often then not it may be smoother, and if you avoid a pile up on the inside it will definitely be smoother.

-Do you see a fast guy you know and have raced with before? A fast wheel is a good place to be.

2. Stay calm - Starts are stressful, keep cool, talk with the people around you, make some new friends, make fart noises. DON'T BE A SERIOUS GOOBER. If you're reading this you're probably not a pro, keep the start grid chill, brah.

3. GO -

3a. Clip in as quick as you can. You will make more power clipped in then not. Towards the back of staging you will see the front of the race moving away before you even move. Watch the rows ahead of you an time yourself to move forward with the row ahead of you. If the guy ahead of you is moving and your foot is still on the ground you're doing it wrong.

3b. Pedal your face off. Don't let the guy ahead of you pull away.

3c. IF YOU SEE AN OPEN SLOT AHEAD GET YOURSELF INTO IT. If it's open you should go for it. You belong there and you need to make up spots now. Some rubbing is normal. It will be uncomfortable if you're not used to it but above all stay cool and go with the flow. If you loose your cool and do something like panic and counter steer you're going to crash or cause a crash. Just hold your line and above all..
3d. COMMUNICATE with the people around you. No one really wants to end their race with a crash in the hole shot.

The field is now fanned out. Hopefully you stayed upright and moved up as much as you could. Your heart is redlined but every corner you're telling yourself smooth is fast.

BUT HOW DO I GET FASTER AT STARTS?
Really watts are only half the equation. You need to be confident and assertive with every move you make that first minute. I personally need to have a conversation in my head to get a little aggro. I'm not a very aggressive person so without a little pump up I bleed spots. Tell yourself it's time for battle and get into a mental state where you are ready to deal with the suck. AGAIN - don't be a boner, just get yourself prepared to deal with some crazy shit.

Q&A
Q:
ZOH MY GOD. I RAN SOMEONE OVER, WHAT DO I DO?!
A: Yes, welcome to CX. It's going to happen someday. Try not to hurt anyone we have work Monday, please apologize but if you don't end up on the ground you should probably keep going - there is half a field ready to run you over.

Q: ZOH MY GOD, SOMEONE JUST TOUCHED MY BUTT, WTF!?
A: I think that's more of a statement but yes, some people touch butts (or backs) to let you know they are behind you. Wordless communication.

Calling all CX gurus @Delish @pearl @Robin @jShort @Norm

Please add your thoughts!

Ask any questions you want about starts here!

Revision A - 9/27/16

First, I enjoyed this read.

I am of the opinion that no amount of reading will help. The only thing that really makes a difference is experience. Keep racing and experiencing these starts. Then come back and read....that's when things really click.

For the relatively new racer:
1 Don't fuck up the clipping in part. Somebody always does. Don't be that guy.
2 Once moving, follow someone going faster than everyone else.
3 Be prepared to improvise
4 Sprint balls to the wall, max effort for 30 seconds. Don't worry about blowing up, that's inevitable.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
After reading all of this, I think I'm way to passive and kind in races. Shit. Do it for Harambe.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
First of all, I'm not sure I'm a CX Guru, but I appreciate the kind words. Since you axed for my opinion, I will give you it. Along with what you said, this is what works for me. I will reference your numbers for additions or things I feel about them.

1. If you know your competition, I pick the wheel I feel will have the best start and go out. I'd rather be third row behind a "stud" of a starter than in a better position behind a scrub in the second row. Someone who is a fast starter doesn't make them a fast rider though. Last year I had a couple people marked that were awesome starters and 1 lappers, than would fade. Knowledge is power (or free watts)

Front row? I always bet on myself. Start has a long straight with right turn? I'm taking the pole on the far right. I'm banking on me having a great start and being the closest to the turn. If you don't believe in yourself, who will?

2. 10000% Fart noise central. Nittany Day 1/2 was a blast. @mbruno is known to be pretty focused but @The Heckler and myself even got him to joke around. Nelson used to tell a joke before every Cat 3 race. it was always a terrible joke but really lightened the mood. Remember, amateur bike racing.

3. If someones blowing a whistle (Nittany has the traffic light), watch them blow the whistle. Watch their cheeks fill up with air. May take a couple of tries. Sometimes the official will stand behind the front row or out of sight. I always would look at them. For smaller races I found this helpful.

3a. If you miss your pedal, do not panic. do not stop your other clipped in foot from pedaling to figure it out. Always try and keep pedaling. All motion in the next 2 seconds should be propelling you forward, not you looking down at your pedal while the world goes around you.

How do I get faster at starts?
Experiment with what gear to start in. I like to start in a slightly softer gear and shift up to terminal velocity. Some courses will be slightly up hill, on grass, gravel, road, will all change your gear selection. Find a baseline and work from that one.

jnos

@The Heckler and @Norm just laid down some serious knowledge. I'll add my bit of advice. In the C race (they call that Cat 4 now), anyone can get the holeshot. Yes, even you. I know, I've been there. HPCX circa 2004 (back when it was in HP) I had 100 meters on the field, but was completely cooked and didn't lift my bike that last 2 inches over the barriers. 1st to 50th real fast! The thing that makes you a good racer is getting the hole shot and not immediately blowing up. That's how it usually goes except for those rare times where you realize that all the people that should be passing you aren't passing you. Holy Shit, did I just get a top 10 finish?! Perhaps I can do this bike race thing.

One more note. If you aren't strong enough to win or get a top 10 finish, grab a nice spot in the middle of the field at the start and slowly work your way up. Going from 60th to 30th is a lot more fun than 3rd to 30th.

Mountain Bike Mike

I hate when I put my balls through the wall on a start.. NOT - balls to the wall, ACTUALLY - through the wall and then 1:00 minute in, I pop and hemorage MANY positions until I get my shit sorted out.

DON'T DO THIS!!

I'm far from anyone to take advice from but at least don't do this!!!

Enjoying this CX advice stuff...

DownhillR3

Just read the first post and laughed so hard, reminded me of XC race starts. I've never done CX but just wanted to say thanks for the laughs. CX sounds too hardcore.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If someone who is fast wants to clear up the clipping in to me...

At first practicing it seemed to be:
  • Power foot down and begin sprinting
  • Clip in
Which would often lead to inconsistency with the clipping in and overall slower.

I found it faster and when watching races to be a pretty common technique that not much power was put out until the other foot was clipped in. And this works better for me also. So new method:

• Down with power leg but not all out
  • Clip in second leg
  • Sprint
I'm not sure if that's what works best for the best of the best front row starters that may be great at the earlier method.

The Heckler

So new method:

• Clip in second leg
  • Sprint
This is exactly how I like to do it. As mentioned above if you miss the clip in don't just stop pedaling else you will be roadkill.

@MadisonDan maybe we should spend a few minutes of spit balling starts/clip ins this week.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is exactly how I like to do it. As mentioned above if you miss the clip in don't just stop pedaling else you will be roadkill.

@MadisonDan maybe we should spend a few minutes of spit balling starts/clip ins this week.
If someone who is fast wants to clear up the clipping in to me...

At first practicing it seemed to be:
  • Power foot down and begin sprinting
  • Clip in
Which would often lead to inconsistency with the clipping in and overall slower.

I found it faster and when watching races to be a pretty common technique that not much power was put out until the other foot was clipped in. And this works better for me also. So new method:

• Clip in second leg
  • Sprint
I'm not sure if that's what works best for the best of the best front row starters that may be great at the earlier method.

I'll review some moving pictures that I recorded of this guy who once gave a clinic that I was in attendance of. Something Powers. Justin? Jerome? Jamiroquai? Whatever it was, the guy seemed to think he was pretty good. I will report my observations, and make broad, sweeping generalizations relating to such.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good stuff so far. Only a couple of things to add about starts

1: The first 10 feet can be the most critical of the race. If you have a really effective start you could potentially pass an entire row (or two) in the blink of an eye.Think for a second about how hard it is to pass 8 people on course? In order to make this work, you need a couple of things.
1a: If you are staring near the front, have a really great first pedal stroke. I start Lars Van Der Haar style. Off the sadle, low, forward, ready to pounce. I push strong off my feet like a track sprinter. It's riskier than starting on the saddle because you are much more likely to miss your pedal. Practice, then practice some more. Most people start on the saddle and there's probably a reason. But LVdH isn't called VanderHoleshot for nothin'
2014-cyclocross-neerpelt-lars-van-der-haar-1729.jpg

2b: If you are starting in the middle/back, have a really great 2nd through 5th pedal stroke. After the whistle blows there will be some lag...a soft roll-out before you get on the gas. Be in the right gear and ready to mash when it's your turn to go. If I'm not near the front, I typically start with my butt on the saddle in a slightly higer gear than if I'm on the front.
Either way, you need to have your gear choice and shift sequence nailed down.

3. Find the hole. So you're starting way back? You can have the best first pedal stroke but it doesn't matter if you have no place to go. How do you find the hole? You become a mind reader. Psychics can't actually predict the future; they are just really good at picking up on cues and body language and quick to exploit that information. This is where you get to secretly judge people. Who's in front of you? Know who they are? Legs shaven? Big calves? Left or right foot down (people tend to swerve one direction if they start left foot on the pedal vs right foot on the pedal). Are they in the right gear?

Watch the first 4 seconds of this race.

"

Notice that the Bicycle Therapy guy #114 is starting in his biggest cassette? He is immediately under-geared and has a lackluster start.
Now watch it again and pay attention to the guy to his right #117. Watch how he makes the most out his first few pedals strokes--out of the saddle full body effort--and nearly gets the hole shot.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Adjusting gear at the line:

1 grab front brake and hold
2 click to correct gear ( may take a few to find it)
3 with left foot on the ground and right foot clipped in, push forward and take rear wheel off ground
4 with right foot, spin cranks a few times and make sure chain is done shifting

I thought this was common sense but every few races somebody looks at me doing it, sees it for the first time, and has a light bulb go off on top of their head.

The Heckler

Adjusting gear at the line:

1 grab front brake and hold
2 click to correct gear ( may take a few to find it)
3 with left foot on the ground and right foot clipped in, push forward and take rear wheel off ground
4 with right foot, spin cranks a few times and make sure chain is done shifting

I thought this was common sense but every few races somebody looks at me doing it, sees it for the first time, and has a light bulb go off on top of their head.
Man, talk about stuff you do 1000 times and take for granted.

Top Bottom