Pump track basics

qclabrat

Going to give the pump track a try next week. First timer, so have some questions. What are some basics I should be aware of? Planning to use an old 26" DJ bike. What type of tires should I use and should I go to single speed?

I built one in my backyard years ago.. Still there but grown in.. It worked great, just had to get the right type of soil and maintain it. Also, the geometry of the rollers is essential I used this guy as source of info back in the day:
https://www.leelikesbikes.com/pump-...ready-to-build-pump-track-and-bike-park-plans He had a manual that you could download.

We have a giant STP and Specialized P2. The STP is single speed and the preferred bike. Both have tires similar to the Kenda Small block 8, or smoother.
Good luck.

Going to give the pump track a try next week. First timer, so have some questions. What are some basics I should be aware of? Planning to use an old 26" DJ bike. What type of tires should I use and should I go to single speed?

Single speed or geared doesn't really matter. I'd probably rather have gears just to make it slightly more versatile but single speed is less to worry about. As far as tires go, it would be better to have something with minimal tread because most pump tracks are going to be a firm, almost paved surface, if they're not actually paved. Maxxis DTH or Ikon are popular.

There are a ton of videos out there but here are a couple that I thought were good:

If it's paved, air up your tires to like 60psi and make sure your fork is pretty stiff. Less knobby tires are better. Push down on the bars with your arms and then your legs as you come down the backside of the rollers. It's a feeling that takes some getting used to but once you nail it, you know. You should be accelerating from every backside. Then translate that to your trail rides.

Would the paved Vernon track be better than Milford one since it is paved as a first time? Dumb question, on protection, other than a helmet, any other pieces to consider?

Single speed or geared doesn't really matter. I'd probably rather have gears just to make it slightly more versatile but single speed is less to worry about. As far as tires go, it would be better to have something with minimal tread because most pump tracks are going to be a firm, almost paved surface, if they're not actually paved. Maxxis DTH or Ikon are popular.

There are a ton of videos out there but here are a couple that I thought were good:

Glad you posted these, didn't expect that this would be a cardio workout. Note to self to bring some liquid nutrition...

You know the answer to this Walter ! Come up to Vernon and we can burn some laps ! Got out a few days just last week. SS is better for pumptrack'n, cause...not pedaling....so gears don't help. Far as riding ? Light on the ups, heavy on the downs, timing is everything! If ya got a 20"...bring that as well. Currently a fatty would be best, as we got about 7" of wet snow up here.

And yeah, it's a serious workout. I'm more gassed after a couple of miles of pumptrack time, than double the amount of trail time. Total body workout. Currently, two laps consecutive at Vernon and I need a rest.

The problem with dirt is that it gets worn down and then becomes more of a flat track than a pump track. The little pebbles can make cornering interesting. I'm not even close to an expert, but I've been to the High Bridge one a handful of times. When it was in good shape, I could really progress and it was a lot of fun. Last time I was there the thing was virtually flat and I needed to pedal.

I came to say the same as GMB3. Tires 50 PSI or higher and firm front fork. I like paved pump tracks better than dirt and think it would be easier starting out.

I always pad up with knee pads at a minimum and often wear elbow pads. Old DJ is a great choice, but if you have the skills to ride a BMX bike, that's even better IMO.

First time I rode a pump track I was astonished at how exhausting it is. Port Jervis, Emmaus, Vernon, and Jim Thorp all have paved pump tracks, but snow could be an issue at some of them. There's also some type of concrete pump section at the neptune skatepark

I came to say the same as GMB3. Tires 50 PSI or higher and firm front fork. I like paved pump tracks better than dirt and think it would be easier starting out.

I always pad up with knee pads at a minimum and often wear elbow pads. Old DJ is a great choice, but if you have the skills to ride a BMX bike, that's even better IMO.

First time I rode a pump track I was astonished at how exhausting it is. Port Jervis, Emmaus, Vernon, and Jim Thorp all have paved pump tracks, but snow could be an issue at some of them. There's also some type of concrete pump section at the neptune skatepark
Didn't realize the Neptune pump track reopened and is closer to me. With the snow up north this will be my first stop

I've been to the Port Jervis paved one a couple of times. Definitely a fun workout. One lap will typically have my heart rate maxed at the end.

When you get there, you should be able to find the "start box". Wait there for a few minutes and get a feel for the rotational flow. It seems to be clockwise, but who knows. Maybe the regulars change it up day to day. Basically, you want to make sure you don't start on a run and come face to face with another rider going the other way. Often there are a lot of kids, so be patient.

I recently learned there's a dirt one near Portsmouth. Hopefully I can check it out soon, although who knows when it won't be buried in snow (4-8" predicted within the next couple of days)

Otherwise, I don't disagree with other comments. I don't have a DJ bike anymore, so I usually take my 20" although I may take my hardtail just so I can get a feel for the track on a more familiar bike before hopping on the 20" that I don't ride very often.

When you get there, you should be able to find the "start box". Wait there for a few minutes and get a feel for the rotational flow. It seems to be clockwise, but who knows. Maybe the regulars change it up day to day. Basically, you want to make sure you don't start on a run and come face to face with another rider going the other way. Often there are a lot of kids, so be patient.

Really good point. Someone going the wrong direction can be dangerous.

Didn't realize the Neptune pump track reopened and is closer to me. With the snow up north this will be my first stop
A few things regarding Neptune:
-It's really more of a skateboard-friendly pump track/snake run. The surface is concrete and it's much narrower than the typical paved Velosolutions setups, such as Vernon and Port Jervis
-If at all possible, go when kids are in school, or very early on the days off. It gets crowded very quickly, and the the pump track is directly connected to the traditional skate park area, so you have skaters entering from all over the place.
-There's one line, that can be ridden in both directions. It's basically a lollipop.
-It's a ton of fun on the 20". I imagine a 26" DJ bike would be great as well. Anything bigger is likely to be clumsy.

Here are a few photos of me dorking around in the transition area, but you can see the pump line in the background:

DSCF1323.JPG
DSCF1406.JPG

Really good point. Someone going the wrong direction can be dangerous.

I've been to PJ a few times, and when I was there the outer loop was always running counter-clockwise. Same with Emmaus (Camp Olympic).

PJ is great, even on a bigger bike. A little intimidating how much speed you can pump up and it has some good size jumps for someone that is game. I have trouble decoding lines through the middle unless I have a local to tag along with.

What Chris G outlined is sort of why we haven't hit the Neptune one yet. Seems designed with skaters in mind and I wouldn't want to show up when it's packed with skaters because I'm certain my daughter and I would wreck their flow for sure. We will eventually hit it when it's quiet. The whole place looks like it would be fun on a bike though.

My daughter and I go to Emmaus quite a bit since it's the closest. It's tight and small so not ideal for a bigger bike compared to Port Jervis or Vernon Valley, but she loves it on her tiny BMX race bikes. I make it work on a DJ and always have a ton of fun regardless. Maybe it's less intimidating than a bigger track?

Watching this makes me want another bike, and a pump track in my backyard.

Back
Top Bottom