Problem with Maxxis Ignitor tread delamination when using Stan's NoTubes Tire Sealant

jackx

I have partial tread delamination with Maxxis Ignitor EXO tires when using Stan's NoTubes Tire Sealant. I realize this may be from not riding often enough to circulate the sealant (or even rotating the wheels to move the sealant around inside the tire).

Yesterday I picked up a product called Aquaseal and I was thinking about using it to seal the inside of the tires to create a protective layer so that the Stan's sealant does not eat thru my new Maxxis Ignitor EXO tires. Aquaseal is an elastic urethane repair adhesive and sealant.

I have a pair of new Ignitors to mount that I bought 2 years ago otherwise I would have probably bought different tires that are compatable with tubeless sealants.

When going with a tubeless tire setup, does anyone treat the inside of their tires to protect the rubber plys from chemically-induced ply delamination or otherwise degrading?

Thanks!

Nope, I use ignitors all the time with stans...I just let them degrade. Bubbles will eventually form on the outside of the tire...pop them and keep riding. I have ones that are so old, I think the casing is made entirely of stans now :)

20130926_222154.jpg

You can see the little holes where the stans worked through over time and caused a bubble. Doesnt cause the tire to leak, not excessively anyway
20130926_222131.jpg

If this is an issue that you dont like, they do make the TR version of the ignitor. They are super tough, but heavier, more expensive.

don't use the ignitor EXO tires, they are bad. use the regular version, they work much better.

i used to love the ignitors. great all round traction tire but in the last two season i've gone through 5 of them. They snake bite way too easy. They do not hold up to pinch flatting just like in the picture posted above.....I had to move on after flatting every race this year on them and with well above the psi range i should be riding them at..

don't use the ignitor EXO tires, they are bad. use the regular version, they work much better.
This.

The base model, 60 tpi, Kevlar bead Maxxis work wonderfully with Stan's rims. You just need to build up a nice coating of sealant on the inside, since the casings are pretty porous when they're new.

My Ignitors kept seeping Stan's, I liked the tires but switched over to Mtn Kings.

They do not hold up to pinch flatting just like in the picture posted above

This tire works perfectly fine. So long as it has some stans in it, it seals with no issues. I actually like they get this built up with stans, they get even harder to kill in my experience.

they make 4 different versions of 29er ignitors now

*Regular 60 tpi versions
*TR (tubeless ready) also 60tpi
*EXO TR...60tpi tubeless ready and exo sidewall protection. I have one of these currently on the rear of my scalpel, its ~730grams, but it is totally indestructible.
*EXO 120 tpi, with sidewall protection. This is the one I would stay away from. The tread is too delicate and I have put holes in several of them...especially when they are new and the rubber is still grippy. Then you can kill them easily.

The regular ones I have had great luck with, and the TR exo has been stellar, although not the lightest tire. I find the ignitors are probably the best all around XC tire I have used, especially considering that you can buy them for less than $35. I have a set of racing ralphs too...great tires, but not cheap.

I didn't know about the 60tpi EXO version, I don't see a problem with those other than weight if you care. The 120TPI version was awful for me. Lasted 2 rides and a split it right open in the middle of the tread. Similar fate for my 2nd one. Doesn't take rock hits very well at all. The 60tpi versions were indestructible for me.

dont know why but my exo tr never held up for me.......and im only 150??what psi do you run on them??

I have had mine on since after the lewis morris race this year, used it for the nationals and I use it at split rock all the time. I normally run mine at ~23...I usually just go with between 20-25 on the floor pump. But so far no issues. I forget what it cost, but it wasnt ~$30 like the regular ignitors.

No more $30 Ignitors

SUWANEE, Ga. (BRAIN) — Maxxis has implemented a minimum advertised price policy for all of its bicycle products.

The policy will go into effect Nov. 1 and applies to all forms of media advertising, including TV, radio, magazine, catalog, direct mail and online sales.

The policy also forbids the sale of Maxxis products through online auction sites and third-party listing sites. Violators will be subject to a series of escalating penalties, ending in a 12-month suspension of an account for a third offense.

"We think that this policy is fair to everyone involved, and will help to protect the value of our products for our customers and the Maxxis brand," said Hulen King, the director of Maxxis' specialty tire division.

For a copy of the policy contact bicycle@maxxis.com. It's also available on Maxxis distributors' websites.

I didn't know about the 60tpi EXO version, I don't see a problem with those other than weight if you care. The 120TPI version was awful for me. Lasted 2 rides and a split it right open in the middle of the tread. Similar fate for my 2nd one. Doesn't take rock hits very well at all. The 60tpi versions were indestructible for me.

Either you're riding on razor blades or I don't ride anything rough enough, but my experience has been the complete opposite. In fact I just now put on the 1st of the 2 that you sold me a few years ago, because the original Ignitors I bought have held up so well. I do most of my MTB riding at Chimney Rock, SSP, and Mahlon.

Not sure how I feel about the minimum price thing. I'm sure it's to help protect LBS but I think that's a little strong-armed. I wonder what the whole circumstance is that led to this?

Thanks for all the insight! I recall ordering the 590 gram Ignitors; I believe that the 2 new Ignitors I have are the 120 TPI EXO version, although the attached label says 60 TPI on the orange Maxxis card and 120 TPI below the barcode on the left. I have had 2 new tires unused for about 2 years, so I can't return them now.

I have DT Swiss rims (non TR, I believe) and I use the Gorilla tape ghetto method.

I am now wondering if the problem might have been crappy tire quality because 2 chunks of tread were ripped away from the outside of a previous tire, and maybe not caused by the Stan's sealant.

Attachments

• Ignitor label.jpg
    Ignitor label.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 129
Either you're riding on razor blades or I don't ride anything rough enough, but my experience has been the complete opposite. In fact I just now put on the 1st of the 2 that you sold me a few years ago, because the original Ignitors I bought have held up so well. I do most of my MTB riding at Chimney Rock, SSP, and Mahlon.

I busted one at chimney rock and one in ringwood. But I run really low pressure.

I've been in the low 20's since day 1 of tubeless goodness (which started w/ the Ignitors). Pretty interesting! I'll verify which version I have on my bikes when I get home.

awesome. i'd like to go back and shave some weight. I am currently riding wtb trailbosses tcs tough they are tough! 920 grams and runnin 14-16 and they are a bitch to put on or pull off....

awesome. i'd like to go back and shave some weight. I am currently riding wtb trailbosses tcs tough they are tough! 920 grams and runnin 14-16 and they are a bitch to put on or pull off....

Yeah and when the chunks of tread fall off the 120 TPI Ignitors, they are even lighter!

Back
Top Bottom