Post your BooBoo's

thanks, Pat. I always find the short game of positivity easier than the long game

a bit of trivia on tib/ fib recovery time 6 to 8 weeks with no weight on the leg.

Hey man, it could be way worse! Keep your chin up and you’ll be back out there soon. I had non-weight bearing for 6 weeks and am post acl reconstruction at almost 7 months and getting back at it. It’s just a pause.

Knee injury updates:

TL;DR Version:
  • MRI yesterday; confirmed today with Doc no surgery needed.
  • 2 more weeks in immobilizer brace; But I am now allowed to put full weight and don't need the crutches anymore
  • not cleared for any other sports activity beyond easy bending of my knee a few times a day until I see him again Nov. 14th - which will likely be cycling anyway (indoors!) depending on healing progress.
The slightly longer summary :

I can walk around 100% pain free since probably Tuesday, and today I did some moving around the house without the brace on (sssh) and I was 100% fine. MRI shows what he suspected, the Minor fracture top of Tibia, back of Patella and impact to ligament plus there is still some fluid from swelling which he said should continue to just get absorbed and he doesn't think he needs to drain it. All the ligaments intact, meniscus etc.... nothing out of line or torn. The swelling is way down and he told me based on MRI and the minor damage he sees, he's 100% sure I would have shattered my knee way beyond just the knee cap and we would be scheduling surgery if I wasn't wearing the knee pads.

Once he explained it then the images make sense what I am looking at (the whitish parts are the fractures and where fluid is hanging out - should be dark)

So as you can imagine totally bummed out to miss my favorite time of the year riding and seeing the leaves change and getting to ride my new to me Gravel bike for the first time (details on that coming soon) now that the MTB event is over. But considering other life stuff I have going on at home with the Holidays coming and 2 weddings to attend in December, the last thing I need to is to be recovering from surgery.

See you on the road trails maybe December If the weather cooperates then.

View attachment 226367View attachment 226368
TL;DR Update: Cleared to ride!

After waiting over an hour to be seen from my appointment time (frown) Doc was even surprised on my progress of healing and that nothing hurt or felt unstable during the exam.

No more immobilizer brace (was kinda already doing that around the house anyway the last 3 days) and as with any time off training he suggested to start off indoors and see how the knee feels, and work my way back up to whatever level I am comfortable with intensity wise. Also cleared to alternate with the rower when I asked which he said was a good idea to change the way the knee is moving and which muscles getting used.

I will hold off on some more MTB rides for a few more weeks just to reduce the chances something happens but so relieved I can get back to being active. I know 2 weeks is nothing compared to some other folks here who have had or do have much worse.

As someone else noted on here : Knee pads FTW whenever I am on the MTB. I may even wear them once I get back on the gravel bike for now just to be safer.

Zwift test ride later or tomorrow for sure.

No booboo yet, wait for a few days. My sad story.

Called Dr for consultation for sciatica pain. 9/18, got appointment 9/22.
9/22, they took xray and now need an mri. I;m in a lot of pain,
Called for mri 9/22, got appointment 9/28, mri failed due to so much pain
I couldn’t keep my body from twitching. Back next day to try again, got it with barrowed pain killers.
Back to Dr 10/02 with mri results, confirms pinched nerve below L5,
Schedule for an spinal epidural to confirm diag. 10/02
10/25 go for spinal epidural (very painful)
11/1 back to Dr. for consultation, Need surgery.
Call for 11/1 appointment for ekg and bloodwork as needed for pre op.
11/6 got ekg and bloodwork with PCP
11/7 chest xray at another place
11/8 hospital called need more bloodwork by them.
11/14 Hospital called come in for another test, urinalysis.
Scheduled surgery 11/16
Almost two months work to get a surgery. Dr gave 3 days of pain pills, whoopie shit.

I couldn’t keep my body from twitching. Back next day to try again, got it with barrowed pain killers.
Scheduled surgery 11/16
Almost two months work to get a surgery. Dr gave 3 days of pain pills, whoopie shit.
that sounds awful back pain/sciatica is unrelenting!

Hope the surgery fixes whats wrong - good luck.

Well yesterday in the dark, I ended up hitting a small kicker and while in the air, came face to face with a 1” diameter birch tree that had been cut at the top and was bent over and hanging directly into me. Well it got me in my right eye and thankfully I was wearing a pair of safety glasses which certainly saved me going to the ER. The way the tree was bent made it so it wasn’t just a scraping blow and instead it just kept bending on my face. It actually pushed my safety glasses to the left side of my face.

So it still hurts. But it is a muscle i think so it should take a bit to heal. Or is it an organ. Or is that skin…idk.

But PSA: Wear eye protection at all times!

Scheduled surgery 11/16
Zero gravity chairs provide some significant relief in many cases. It helped me quite a bit after my discectomy. Hope you get it worked out!

Scheduled surgery 11/16
Good luck today Pete!

Well yesterday in the dark, I ended up hitting a small kicker and while in the air, came face to face with a 1” diameter birch tree that had been cut at the top and was bent over and hanging directly into me. Well it got me in my right eye and thankfully I was wearing a pair of safety glasses which certainly saved me going to the ER. The way the tree was bent made it so it wasn’t just a scraping blow and instead it just kept bending on my face. It actually pushed my safety glasses to the left side of my face.

So it still hurts. But it is a muscle i think so it should take a bit to heal. Or is it an organ. Or is that skin…idk.

jeez close call. and yes I NEVER ride road/gravel/MTB without wearing eye protection.!

since i have been riding gravel the last 2 years, a lot of stuff kicks up especially when riding in a group, and often have little rocks or grit ricochet off my glasses.

Glad things didn't turn out worse. I always have eye protection for this reason. Oakley Radar EV Path with clear to Black Iridium Photochromic lens. Works great for night rides and heavy tree cover.

Good luck today Pete!
Thanks, things went well, I feel pretty good, beat up after surgery, but feeling very hopeful.
Dressing stays on for 5 weeks and then I can shower carefully. Seems excessive. I see Dr. again in two weeks,
I'll ask about removing bandage then I guess. The hospital and staff were great, helpful and friendly.
My doctor too is the best, fussy, but good.
Dsc01018.jpg

what they did
Dissection on the inferomedial aspect of the nerve root allowed identification of the disc space. There was a large disc herniation with an annular rupture. This annular rupture was extended inferiorly. The nerve hook was then passed into the subannular space and a copious amount of loose disc material retrieved and passed off the field. Micropituitary's were used to complete this process. Woodson dissector's were passed medially and laterally to deliver additional disc material that was removed with pituitaries.
In this manner, the exiting L5 nerve root was completely decompressed. This was confirmed by running a nerve hook anterior to the structure and palpating from pedicle to pedicle. The incision was then copiously irrigated. Hemostasis was achieved with Floseal which was subsequently irrigated away. Depo-Medrol was instilled over the exposed nerve root. The tubular retractor was then removed and the incision closed in multiple watertight layers. Sterile dressings were applied.

Last edited:
Thanks, things went well, I feel pretty good, beat up after surgery, but feeling very hopeful.
Dressing stays on for 5 weeks and then I can shower carefully. Seems excessive. I see Dr. again in two weeks,
I'll ask about removing bandage then I guess. The hospital and staff were great, helpful and friendly.
View attachment 227382
Oh shit, I don't read everything here and missed this. Got time to show me around Waway tomorrow, lol... Heal up Pete and don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything. Will come by soon for a beer run and takeout to visit you and Skeeter.

Reactions: SAM
View attachment 227382
what they did
Dissection on the inferomedial aspect of the nerve root allowed identification of the disc space. There was a large disc herniation with an annular rupture. This annular rupture was extended inferiorly. The nerve hook was then passed into the subannular space and a copious amount of loose disc material retrieved and passed off the field. Micropituitary's were used to complete this process. Woodson dissector's were passed medially and laterally to deliver additional disc material that was removed with pituitaries.
In this manner, the exiting L5 nerve root was completely decompressed. This was confirmed by running a nerve hook anterior to the structure and palpating from pedicle to pedicle. The incision was then copiously irrigated. Hemostasis was achieved with Floseal which was subsequently irrigated away. Depo-Medrol was instilled over the exposed nerve root. The tubular retractor was then removed and the incision closed in multiple watertight layers. Sterile dressings were applied.
wow thats a lot of words and references I dont get but seems like "they got it"

speedy recovery!

Back
Top Bottom