Play in Trek Fuel suspension?

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Need some input from Trek Fuel owners. For the past two years my 2020 Fuel EX has exhibited a tiny amount of play in the rear suspension. When the bike is stationary on the ground and I gently lift the saddle upwards I feel some tiny vertical play in the linkage. It’s not the wheel, nor the saddle itself. It is similar to the play I used to feel on my 2001 Intense Tracer, which was due to the DU bushings wearing out and requiring replacement from time to time. However in the case of my Trek I had the shock’s bushings replaced last year when I had it serviced and the symptoms remained. All the pivot points are properly torqued and there is also no lateral play in the entire linkage, only this slight vertical play. As tiny as the play is, I do notice it on rocky descents, it manifests itself with a slight knock or rattle when hitting rocks. I don’t, however, notice it on seated climbs.

So did a bit of googling and found this thread (unnecessarily harsh though it may be) that suggests it may be due to the bolt (that secures the shock to the linkage) not having a sufficient shoulder to take up the play. However this play was not evident when the bike was new.

I will take it to the LBS where I bought it but before I do wanted to see if anyone with a Fuel (or Slash similar Trek) has experienced the same issue and what it was due to.

Thanks
IMG_9872.png

i have a previous generation fuel ex (2018) with over 6k miles on it and no play as you describe in the suspension so this guy is out of his mind, while its possible that the bolts have worn and generated some play it seems unlikely when i got over 6k miles without managing it in year round wet and dry riding conditions.

When the bike is stationary on the ground and I gently lift the saddle upwards I feel some tiny vertical play in the linkage.
I'll bet if you can get someone to feel each pivot one at a time and both shock bolts while you're lifting the bike up and down you'll be able to pinpoint the location pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom