Oval chainring?

Have a bunch collecting dust. The change in torq riding rock gardens would totally screw me up. On steep climbs I couldn’t feel when the rear wheel was just about to break loose so I would spin out.

I don't notice either of those issues.

This !!!!

Have a bunch collecting dust. The change in torq riding rock gardens would totally screw me up. On steep climbs I couldn’t feel when the rear wheel was just about to break loose so I would spin out.

They will trade you for round versions typically.

This should clarify this.

Shimano was into something when they tried a cam shaped ring. Unfortunately their timing or clocking was off by 90 degrees.

The major difference that occurs with a 90° change in timing is that the current oval rings match your natural power stroke instead of fighting it.

To say this is marketing alone is a bit shortsighted when various companies have sold these with great success and data to show their gains.

To be clear, it doesn’t suit everyone and much of that is based on use of a fixed timing version. I’d always recommend an adjustable timing version from rotor over others for this very reason

One reason I wonder how much of it is just marketing is why the two big S’s do not sell any oval rings. I understand them not be OE, but why not have an aftermarket oval ring?

I really like rotors q-rings because there adjustable but hated osymetric with 1 setting. The 5 settings on rotors are good because you can pick where the power phase is but with fixed non-adjustable ones the power phase can be too early or too late which was my problem with oysmetric because the power phase would come too early for me.

I used one for all of 2017 and some of 18. I think it’s a good idea but may be better on gears. I feel on ss it was fast until it wasn’t. As long as you are spinning fast it was fast but once I was cooked in a race and you resort to instinct speed the pace slowed down way too much. Not sure why but results and end of race performance went up once I switched back to round. And no more cramping( could be coincidence. I was using Absolute Black for the record.
I’d like to add one positive. Traction is awesome with the AB oval. You can just crawl up the slipperiest climbs like the beginning of the guardrail climb.

I don't see many recent threads on this....
Since it's been a few years, what are everyone's thoughts? I was thinking about picking one up....

Reactions: rlb
I tried them for a while on a road bike - wound up concluding that they reduced leg blood circulation by not letting your calves relax periodically, the rings went to scrap.

I have one on my Bronson and one in my Fatbike. As a person who has only half the strength I used to, I can’t praise them enough. They take a lot of pressure off my legs at the toughest point in the pedal rotation. They allow me longer rides when I really need to rebuild every other week. @Davis119 if you would like to take the Bronson out for a test ride, we can arrange that. I think you are close to my height IIRC.

I have one on my Bronson and one in my Fatbike. As a person who has only half the strength I used to, I can’t praise them enough. They take a lot of pressure off my legs at the toughest point in the pedal rotation. They allow me longer rides when I really need to rebuild every other week. @Davis119 if you would like to take the Bronson out for a test ride, we can arrange that. I think you are close to my height IIRC.
I rode yours for 100' at Allaire during TM. I didn't notice anything weird so that's good. I'll give it a shot. Maybe I can find one used to try...
Thanks Frank

I am 100% convinced on this product and I use them on every bicycle i own. It’s important to note that the shape vary slightly from brand to brand.

I have tried rotor, wolf tooth, absolute black and sram. The sram ones seem to last the longest and they put their patents on tooth profile to good use here.

Rocking this SS ring on my Fat bike and I love it.

IMG_1727.jpeg

When @jdog built up my beloved Air9 Carbon; my first 29er, first single speed and the first MTB that truly spoke to me, among the many component recommendations I blindly (and thankfully) went along with; an oval chainring was spec’d. To this day, every MTB I build myself gets an oval ring.

Not quite in her original configuration, then again, neither is this trail 😁…both wonderful none the less.
IMG_0559.jpeg

PSA - when the folks at your LBS ride and make recommendations based on the types of trails you like….. listen.

Running Absolute Black oval on my Switchblade, I definitely feel it makes the bike climb better, seems to put the power down much smoother throughout the pedal stroke.

Back
Top Bottom