New Jersey Trail Lover's Coalition

MuckSavage

New Jersey Trail Lovers Coalition

Officials at Wharton State Forest have been taking a serious look at a lot of the damage being done to some sensitive areas of the woods. This has prompted them to consider closing some of the trails/roads and to limit access to our favorite areas.

Members of various user groups such as 4wheel drive, kayakers, hunters, mountain bikers, equestrians, hikers, campers, geocachers, etc. have, for the first time, joined together and formed a coalition to try to come up with some alternate solutions so that we do not lose the access we have all come to love. I am among the founding member of the organization.

Meetings are usually held on the third Wednesday of the month at the Red Lion Inn at 7pm. (January's will be the second Wednesday though) All are welcome to attend.

It was our original intended purpose to have a representative from each 'user group' with us.

There is a forum to discuss any issues and concerns (http://njtlc.proboards.com) and a website in the beginning stages (http://njtlc.org).

Please stop by and see us!!!! If you do, be sure to hit the Member's intro thread & express your interest!

Also, if you belong to any other MTB forums, please forward.

Thanks,
Muck

I think any group that joins forces with the 4 wheeler community is just asking for it.Next they will want dirt bikes and quads on our MB trails. They are the ones that have caused all the destruction and impact the forest negatively.People that get off flying down dirt roads and rutting out trails are not that environmentally friendly.

If you can get them banned like they should be that would help everyone else out.

As soon as they ban dirt bikes we are going to start working on banning mountain bikes.
Reckless jerks bombing down singletrack running down old lady hikers.

So you think people in jacked up jeeps slamming down dirt roads in state parks is OK??????

So you think that dirt bikes should be allowed to share the trail with mt bikes,hikers,and horses?????

They need to ban(AND ENFORCE) all motorized vehicles in state parks and environmental areas otherwise once they get in there and do trail damage the trails will be closed to everyone.

Last edited:
So you think it people in jacked up jeeps breaking speed limts and slamming down dirt roads in state parks is ok??????

So you think that dirt bikes should be allowed to share the trail with mt bikes,hikers,and horses?????

Dirt bikes should be allowed... Four wheelers no

Jacked up Jeeps with snorkels and such should not... They have great potential to contaminate the local ponds and bogs... They also leave some massive ruts...

Motos cut many of the trails that we now ride on MTBS all over the state.

Motorcycles should stay no matter what. That is my .02.

This is a tough road to hoe as every user group surely thinks that they belong.

Hallelujah Brother!

All of these activities have the potential to do damage to environmentally sensitive areas if done irresponsibly...
OR they can be done in an environmentally friendly way if the trails are designed to accommodate them. That's not to say that that ALL trails should be open to ALL uses, but NONE of these uses should be forbidden altogether.

Not all mountain bikers should be judged by the actions of rude, irresponsible dimwit bikers. Likewise with all other activities: the activity as a whole should not be judged by the actions of the reckless few. If individuals are breaking the laws, punish those individuals, not the entire user group.

Some day, I hope to live in a place where I can legally enjoy the surrounding woods using any vehicle I choose: feet, mtn bike, motorcycle, quad, truck, horseback, snowmobile, snowboard, x/c skis, pogo stick...

And if you ever have the opportunity to try any of these activities, I highly recommend it...they can all be a BLAST! :D

There certainly isn't enough space in this state anymore for all these activities to co-exist harmoniously... So being bias I say the four wheel activity can take a hike

I wish the state would have built the special use area they promised they would. I even think they collected a butt load of cash, from special taxes, just for that purpose. I don't know if the cash just fell into a black hole, or perhaps it was just too much NIMBY pressure. I think every one is entitled to do what they love, just not with farm animals,... of course.

Motos cut many of the trails that we now ride on MTBS all over the state.

Motorcycles should stay no matter what. That is my .02.

This is a tough road to hoe as every user group surely thinks that they belong.

+1
Many people that ride mtn bikes also own motorcycles as well. The real OHV people have a great deal of respect for public land and outdoors.
There are aholes is every group no matter where you look. Down in the Pines people went as far as wire across trails and putting saw tooth shape I beams in mud puddles. Most OHV people willfully work with park rangers about these things.
Here is the web page for OHV:
http://www.njohva.org/
Yes, I also own a motorcycle as do many of the people I ride with.

I thank you for all for your concerns! I hope that we can all ban together & protect what's ours. Feel free to come out to a meeting.

I thank you for all for your concerns! I hope that we can all ban together & protect what's ours. Feel free to come out to a meeting.
The designated mountain bike trails are currently maintained and represented by JORBA members. So far we've heard no compelling reasons (from either side of the fence) to attend any more meetings then the ones we currently attend (at WSF and other locations). Unless of course there is an open bar. :rolleyes:

The designated mountain bike trails are currently maintained and represented by JORBA members. So far we've heard no compelling reasons (from either side of the fence) to attend any more meetings then the ones we currently attend (at WSF and other locations). Unless of course there is an open bar. :rolleyes:

How about the folks that would have the trails closed to everyone but birdwatchers? They are a good reason.

How about the folks that would have the trails closed to everyone but birdwatchers? They are a good reason.
The only trails being closed are the illegal ones in sensitive areas. All concerned organizations are aware of the current problems. Will PM you with info.

Uhmmm.. Partially open can of worms?....

not at all Mikey. Just thought I'd save everyone from reading six paragraphs and following five different links.

You coming down for the WSF ride on Sunday? Flurries and fun are forecasted.

Last edited:
not at all Mikey. Just thought I'd save everyone from reading six paragraphs and following five different links.

You coming down for the WSF ride on Sunday? Flurries and fun are forecasted.

hey Kurt,
No sorry i havent been on my bike in a year just been too busy, and my son just got out of the hospital.. Hard to find time for a ride these days.. ( i know.. I know..always time for a ride)..

If you ridden the trails in Allegheny or Wharton for example you can thank enduro riders for that (dirt bike riders), enduro riders legally created those trails years ago and in some cases are still maintaining those trails so you can enjoy them as well.

The Sandy Lane Enduro just celebrated its 74th running. Yep, 74 years of ridding dirt bikes in the woods.

My dirt bike club fills up three 30 foot dumpsters of trash we take out of the forest each year on our clean-up day. How much trash do hikers take out of the woods or any other group for that matter? Not as nearly as much, not even close and I know that for a fact.

Mountain bikes are already banned from Watchung and South Mountain reservations in Union county. Still think your sport is safe?

Are you sure you’re choosing the right side by going against dirt bikes? Dirt bikes were first on the hit list, mountain bikes are next. They already figured this out on the West Coast. We need to unite to save access to our trails.

I ride dirt bikes and I ride mountain bikes and I pay taxes. These are state forests that are there for everyone's recreation. A shared trail system is needed as well as three ORV parks promised to us by the state already. The state has been collecting federal ORV funds for years and raids those funds year after year but no one wants to talk about fraud, it's the guy on the quad everyone's angry at, bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom