Nerd question: Display over USB C

rlb

Short story:
I want to use USB C to connect my desktop computer to a docking station where my monitors are plugged into. I currently have no USB-C ports. Is it as easy as getting a PCI card that supports video over USB C? Or do I need a new video card?

what are you trying to solve?
seems like remote desktop over usb?

what are you trying to solve?
seems like remote desktop over usb?
No I want to swap 3 monitors between a laptop and a desktop. I have the laptop out through the hub(using USB c) no problem, I just need to figure out how to get my desktop out through the Hub.

what hub (or is it a switch?) do you have?
I don't know anything about this stuff! Different paradigm than i'm accustom to.
pictures please!

No pictures because I don't actually have the stuff yet.

Getting a new work laptop which runs everything (keyboard, mouse, monitors, ethernet) through a dell D3100 dock via a single usb c cable. I have several co-workers using this setup successfully so I know it works.

At home I have the same 3 monitor setup and I want to easily swap them between my personal desktop and my work laptop. If I can figure out how to run my desktop through the dock, I can swap either computer by plugging a single usb-c cable from the computer to the dock.

think i see it - things have gotten fast enough to create a video bus.

so looking for usb-c/dp on your desktop system to plug into a usb-c hub(the dell dock) which has multiple hdmi/DP outputs, and keyboard/mouse (assume wireless usb?) ....
They will "share" but not at the same time. unless you put in a switch. Am i close?

My 1024 monitor is queued up for e-recycling. if i can lift it

Yeah you got it. Basically someone said "I think a KVM switch is too simple, we can totally resell this".

FYI the monitors are not powered by the USB-C bus. The monitor still needs AC power but then using that power it will back feed the laptop while simultaneously providing the video to the monitor. At least that's how the monitor I am about to buy claims to work. I'm getting a 5k monitor for my 4k camera footage. Maybe I'll have the courage to show up and record some races this year.

Back
Top Bottom