Need tire recommendation

drabina

I need a new set of tires for my full suspension bike. Currently still running stock 27.5x2.8 tires with tubes (yes, I know) but the rear is getting to the point where it is losing grip. I am riding 95% NNJ (Ringwood, Sterling, Jungle) with occasional trips to LewMo and maybe once or twice a year to Allaire or 6-mile. I am not an aggressive or a fast rider, more like a sweeper for the slowest group of a local MTB team.

Technically, I only need a rear tire but I am looking for recommendations for a whole set (front and rear). Still planning on running tubes unless my kids are going to persuade me otherwise (though they are trying unsuccessfully for the last couple of years). Budget-wise I would like to stay under $150 per set.

I need a new set of tires for my full suspension bike. Currently still running stock 27.5x2.8 tires with tubes (yes, I know) but the rear is getting to the point where it is losing grip. I am riding 95% NNJ (Ringwood, Sterling, Jungle) with occasional trips to LewMo and maybe once or twice a year to Allaire or 6-mile. I am not an aggressive or a fast rider, more like a sweeper for the slowest group of a local MTB team.

Technically, I only need a rear tire but I am looking for recommendations for a whole set (front and rear). Still planning on running tubes unless my kids are going to persuade me otherwise (though they are trying unsuccessfully for the last couple of years). Budget-wise I would like to stay under $150 per set.
What are you currently running and on which bike? Also what do you like or dislike with current tires?

Currently, I am running a Vee tires that came with my bike (full suspension Marin B-17). Unfortunately, I just ride recreationally so can't really tell what I like or dislike. So far, I was able to run all trails on the current tires so they worked fine. I am just assuming that a tire like Schwalbe, Continental, etc would be a bit better since the manufacturer probably put one of the least expensive tires as stock on my bike when I bought it. The stock tires did last a long time but again, I am a recreational rider not a racer or an aggressive rider.

I run Michelin wild enduros, they make them in 27.5x2.8….. they are heavy and slow rolling but they are super grippy and the side walls are dam near bulletproof. I hate flats but love running low pressure in the rocks. Got tired of cut side walls and torn off knobs so I no longer ride Maxxis . I have had good experiences with vittoria tires as well.

Would I feel lots of difference between the 2.8 and 2.6? Looks like I have more options in 2.6 size vs 2.8 that I currently have.

Depends on the inside rim width. Real plus bikes use over 35mm wide rims, 40-50mm is better. If you have sub 35mm rims, 2.6 tires would be better imo

Unfortunately, I just ride recreationally so can't really tell what I like or dislike. So far, I was able to run all trails on the current tires so they worked fine.
Unfortunately, that makes all recommendations fairly useless. How about this: speed, grip, heavy strong vs light supple casings. What's more important to you? I know you say you're slow and don't ride aggressive, but that doesn't mean you don't want a fast & light tire. Or maybe it does. Need more info. If you just want something in between, Google some "down country" tires.

2.6 tires are ok for 38 mm rims, I would avoid 2.4’s, they will really square off the tread. Me personally, I would avoid thin light side wall tires for places north of rt 80 because of the rocks.

For places like ringwood I prefer some combination of maxxis dhf/dhr, assagei or aggressor. Those tires have a lot of grip and work well when the rocks are wet. You should convert to tubeless as well to be able to run lower pressures.

Magic Mary / Big Betty . They both come in 27.5 x 2.8".. Take note of the various casings and rubber compounds. It make a huge difference in durability and weight.

A couple of years ago, I got my son the Magic Mary's as he was killing tires every week. They are a very tough tires but also super heavy. Until he sold the bike, he had no punctures or issues. Definitely a good match for the NNJ terrain so this would be an option.

How about WTB Vigilante for the front and Trail Boss for the rear? Both 2.6. I can get them on Amazon for less than $100 for the set.

Currently, I am running a Vee tires that came with my bike (full suspension Marin B-17). Unfortunately, I just ride recreationally so can't really tell what I like or dislike. So far, I was able to run all trails on the current tires so they worked fine. I am just assuming that a tire like Schwalbe, Continental, etc would be a bit better since the manufacturer probably put one of the least expensive tires as stock on my bike when I bought it. The stock tires did last a long time but again, I am a recreational rider not a racer or an aggressive rider.
Everyone will give you a different answer, if you like the profile of the Crown Gems you have now, then you might like Schwalbe Nobby Nics. They are on sale now at Jenson's for $45 each for the 2.8 size and are usually true to size. Most of my tires are Maxxis but they are smaller than listed size. I'm also slow and unaggressive and also like DHF/R and Assegai

Thanks guys. I had the Nobby Nics once and I liked them. Unfortunately, the 2.8 is $61 not $45. For $45 I would get them without hesitation. Still, $61 is within my budget and not a bad price.

Back
Top Bottom