Need rear Shimano SLX brake lever

Definitely just want to replace the blade. Seems cheap enough to buy a new one. Next question is am I skilled enough to install it. To youtube i go.

I replaced an XT with these.

And yes, you can do it yo self

Definitely just want to replace the blade. Seems cheap enough to buy a new one. Next question is am I skilled enough to install it. To youtube i go.
I did it, you can do it. Just pay attention to the small spring and how it goes in. The shimano part should come with a spring…

The ones Madison Dan posted are a great option, I found an OEM when I did mine. I did my front brake in on my 7120s. They seem to be made of a really thin metal. I couldn’t source a R lever so I bought a L lever and kept the same internals. Lever blade itself is the same for both sides. Was a bit of a pain to get everything lined up correct, but doable at home for sure.

Last edited:
Looks easy enough. Bought an SLX for 22 bucks. $99 for a lever blade? No thanks.

Looks easy enough. Bought an SLX for 22 bucks. $99 for a lever blade? No thanks.
Indeed. I’m also no sure of what problem those fancy blades are supposed to fix, levers usually break due to vertical impact, you’re not going to pull the blade forward unless you’re moving backward…

Holy shit, that was the biggest pain in the ass! 2 hours and it's finally done. Shimano certainly doesn't design those for easy serviceability!

Holy shit, that was the biggest pain in the ass! 2 hours and it's finally done. Shimano certainly doesn't design those for easy serviceability!
So if an SLX brake lever is ~$40, was it worth it?

So if an SLX brake lever is ~$40, was it worth it?
Hell no. Unless that would require a bleed, then yes. I don't do bleeds. If this, or a similar problem happens again, i'm giving my bike and money to the LBS.

Hell no. Unless that would require a bleed, then yes. I don't do bleeds. If this, or a similar problem happens again, i'm giving my bike and money to the LBS.
It would require a bleed so you made the right call.

Back
Top Bottom