Need input...Carbon or steel??

gingertooth

Im sure its been spoke of in many different ways but i am here to get some opinions on what to get. This bike is going to be SS specific. Either Giant xtc composite SS converted or 2014 Salsa el mariachi steel ss....What do i chose? Using it for endurance races so i do want to be in the 22lbs range and i think el mar med is def possible...So u guys got to help a brother out here so i can make my mind up...

Im sure its been spoke of in many different ways but i am here to get some opinions on what to get. This bike is going to be SS specific. Either Giant xtc composite SS converted or 2014 Salsa el mariachi steel ss....What do i chose? Using it for endurance races so i do want to be in the 22lbs range and i think el mar med is def possible...So u guys got to help a brother out here so i can make my mind up...

If nothing else, dealing with a non SS specific frame as a SS is always a pain in the ass. The Salsa will allow you to run two cogs on the back and make changes based on the course. Converted bike as only good to test and see if you like SS. If you do, than make it a dedicated SS frame .. or at least one that had that use in mind. (The salsa can be either geared or SS)

We have a ton of people on the Salsa and the new one is even better.

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_el_mariachi_singlespeed

The XTC will be lighter, but I actually think that Giant makes their carbon bikes stiffer than they need to be.

there .02

j

For endurance racing/riding, I'd say get the steel bike as it'll be more forgiving. That carbon frame , while light, May be rather punishing after a few hours in the saddle.

Also, I second the comments about a ss capable frame. It's a pain in the ass to mess with conversions. There's no great way to do it.

A SS specific frame is ideal, but if you'd like to leave yourself an out to be able to convert it back to gears one day, consider a Niner Sir9. The EBB on it is super easy to adjust, which from horror stories I've heard, isn't the case with some other EBBs, and Niner's last iteration with two bolts solved the squeaking issue of the original one bolt design. Just be sure to follow the torque recommendations and you'll be fine. The Sir9 is steel and it's only slightly heavier than the Air 9 carbon frame. Not sure what your total budget is, but you can get a Sir9 frame for right around $1000.

A SS specific frame is ideal, but if you'd like to leave yourself an out to be able to convert it back to gears one day, consider a Niner Sir9. The EBB on it is super easy to adjust, which from horror stories I've heard, isn't the case with some other EBBs, and Niner's last iteration with two bolts solved the squeaking issue of the original one bolt design. Just be sure to follow the torque recommendations and you'll be fine. The Sir9 is steel and it's only slightly heavier than the Air 9 carbon frame. Not sure what your total budget is, but you can get a Sir9 frame for right around $1000.

+1. I've been checking this out for when I want to replace my current rigid, steel SS, GT Peace 9R.

I rode a converted Cdale 26r SS, w/ ENO Eric hub, for 7 yrs and loved it.
Just bought a '14 Mariachi SS and love it.

If you are converting, I think the ENO is the way to go. If you are paying $, right now, buy the Mariachi.

Either/or its fun. Fiber or steel, 26 or 29, 5' shortboard or 8' longboard, depends on conditions and current attitude... Unless the temps are below freezing. With temps that cold, I've heard that carbon fiber becomes brittle.

Last edited:
thx for ur input guys. I currently ride a 12' trek rig and it has been a great effin bike. i have gotten tired of the tensioning issues with it and now need to move on. At 22lbs i am comfortable with it although it would be nice to go a little lighter on my next. That is why i'm considering a giant xtc composite although the salsa is super nice and is SS specific. I am not concerned with converting back to gears cause i never will. I did try a niner sir9 2014 and hated it. Way too sluggish feeling. I dont want to spend any more than $2000 too.

Niner

1 Speed is so right on the S.I.R. 9 . The ebb put a big smile on my face and people are picking up my bike saying for what I have on the bike that I built how light it is. The plus side is the ride. Find one and ride it and you will see. Spot and Soulcraft are two others also.

I haven't tried the new style internal expanding EBB but I never had a problem with the the original that used grub screws (talking NINER bike)... Either way I would take Blackcat drop outs over ebb any day

Back
Top Bottom