My first attempt at carbon repair

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Long story short, my entire family rides, races, and crashes a lot. Last season my oldest daughter cracked her seat stay, but she was due for a new race bike anyway so I built her a procaliber SL and set aside the other procaliber to fix and then build for my other daughter who will be moving up a frame size by this spring.

Rather than pay to have it fixed, I figured this would be a good skill to learn as I may have to do this periodically as everyone is only getting better and riding ever more challenging terrain.

For well south of $80 I purchased enough carbon, epoxy, and shrink release tape to do quite a few repairs.

image.jpg

There are definitely a few lessons learned.... So I'll get to them first:

- Don't rush after mixing the epoxy. If I waited a few minutes for it to start getting tacky it would have been easier from the start.
- PRE-CUT the shrink tape and stage it ready to wrap. That stuff is slippery and I had 5 yards of it trying to unravel.
- Already knew this, but wrap the shrink tape in the direction you wrapped the carbon.
- Add and extra layer or three of carbon to the damaged area, it does shrink down quite a bit and can always be sanded smooth.
- Next time I'll probably have the last layer wrap almost a full two revolutions
- I took some advice and over shrink-wrapped the bike, but didn't know why. Now I do, when you hit the repair with the heat gun the epoxy gets squeezed out and blown all over the place. Lower fan speed will help.
- Read epoxy instructions carefully. Mine recommended 75 deg F, hence I'm inside near the fireplace.

Ok now that no one read that and scrolled to the pics....

Damaged area sanded:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wrapped!
PXL_20231207_235144122.jpg

Did the typical template method with paper first. From the research I did, the less you handle the carbon the better since it likes to fall apart.

PXL_20231207_235215165.jpg

I thought I'd be smart and use painters tape (kind of like the wax for stickers) to keep the carbon weave together until putting them on the repair. Don't do this, it doesn't work.

PXL_20231208_185042386.jpg

image.jpg

Set your OCD aside. The patches are going to fray... Just needed to cut them a little larger than required and move on with life.

image.jpg

Limited to 10 pics so I'll end with this one, my epoxy was 1:1 ratio... Had an idea to use a little medicine cup and it worked like a charm. This little bit also ended up being way more than I needed.

image.jpg

First

Heading to dinner with the wife, will post the rest when we get back

Edit: Sorry for the cliffhanger folks 😂😂😂

So like I said, I totally messed up by trying to handle 5 yards of this special tape instead of pre-cutting the needed length...

Screenshot_20231208-150423~2.png

image.jpg

All fumbling aside, it looked pretty good...

PXL_20231208_192257310.jpg

Next up was to hit it with heat. My OCD was kicking in here because the "working temp" of the shrink tape was well below the heat of the heat gun..... So I wanted to prevent overheating it. But I forgot to get my IR temp gun and just went with it, stopped heating when I saw it shrink. It was VERY noticeable and pushed a lot of epoxy out!

PXL_20231208_192306314.jpg

image.jpg

Current state with the heat shrink tape doing it's thing
PXL_20231208_192714206.jpg

Sorry crew, but another cliffhanger since it has to cure for about 24 hrs 😜

There is definitely still a little depression where the main damage was. I'm not sure if some of my patches drifted or if I needed a few more layers. When I unwrap it tomorrow I'll decide if I want to do a second round.... I think I will since id like to get some more practice and see if some of my ideas make the process a bit easier

Last edited:
Robert's first carbon frame should probably come with this kit....Thanks Matt, im sure ill be needing to do this someday.

A good friend repaired a hole in the downtube of his daughters Trek Session DH Bike. The repair made it through racing World Champs at Fort William and the World Cup Round at Snowshoe. It was retired at Mont-Sainte-Anne World Cup as she ended up getting a new GT from Wyn Masters winning the privateer award.

IMG_0905.JPG
IMG_0070.JPG
IMG_0072.JPG

Cool stuff . Reminds me of the time I found a 24" Crack In the hull of my jetski

Pretty cool! So does the shrink tape take place of the vacuum process I have seen?
Correct. People have used electric tape with the non sticky side down wrapped really tight, but this stuff seems to work a lot better.

Im too impatient to wait a full 24 hrs. Think I'll see how it looks after my stuffed french toast 😂

Back
Top Bottom