My arms are killing me

Zudnik

Ok so as I get into mtb I was expecting sore legs but man my arms are killing me after the technical rides. My newest route is through LewisMorris (green, orange, red and a little yellow) then up through Dismal Harmony to the power lines to behind Bill's luncheonette before heading home. All-in it's a little over 25 miles but my arms get a real workout on the tech sections. Is this normal and I'll just adapt?

Yes, it's normal and you will get used to it. Especially if you're running flat pedals.

I've spent most of the few seasons (other than the occasional bike park trip) riding clipless and two weekends ago decided to switch to flats for the winter. Not being able to "cheat" using my feet to move the bike around has definitely added arm soreness.

Ok so as I get into mtb I was expecting sore legs but man my arms are killing me after the technical rides. My newest route is through LewisMorris (green, orange, red and a little yellow) then up through Dismal Harmony to the power lines to behind Bill's luncheonette before heading home. All-in it's a little over 25 miles but my arms get a real workout on the tech sections. Is this normal and I'll just adapt?
Where specifically are your arms sore? Wrist, forearm, elbows, bi's, tri's? Did you have a bike fit when you purchased the bike?

Did you just fly in from California.
18897.jpg

If your arms are hurting at LewMo you need to tweak your positioning. You should be engaging your core to hold your upper body versus leaning into the bars all days. Also I dunno how long you’ve been riding but it does get better.... you’ll find parts of your body you didn’t know existed hurting if you are just starting to go hard. Keep grinding 👍

mas cariño ?

Lots of good advice here - grip pressure, not using core, just being new.
if you really like to go at it when pointing downhill, check out arm-pump on the google.
might find some answers.
keep riding!

I'm a pen pusher and got forearm tendonitis after 10 years riding mtb. Let's be honest cycling does not provide a good workout for upper body so you might need some cross training. That helped me, I healed tendonitis and back pain after 2 years hard paddling.

Thanks. No, I didn't get a bike fit since I bought online (only option during rona). Gripping too tight is definitely something I likely do. I feel like I'm loose but loose to a noob is tight to someone more experienced. Someone asked about tires, yes they are tubeless but I'm a big (fat) guy so I run with about 20psi. I'll just keep going at it.

What tire size? 20 psi is pretty much the sweet spot for a 29er. 12-15 psi is good for 27.5+ and 5-6 psi for Full Fat.

When I started, my arm and shoulder pain was all down to too tight a grip (from being apprehensive and scared) and not engaging my core. I've solved both problems now. It comes with experience.

Thanks. No, I didn't get a bike fit since I bought online (only option during rona). Gripping too tight is definitely something I likely do. I feel like I'm loose but loose to a noob is tight to someone more experienced. Someone asked about tires, yes they are tubeless but I'm a big (fat) guy so I run with about 20psi. I'll just keep going at it.
Bike fit for sure. Make sure your reach is enough. May need a longer stem and or spacers u der the stem. I am 6’3” with a 34” inseam and had to go the opposite of most on my Pivot Les size XL. I run a 110 stem with 20mm of spacers as well as my stem 6 degrees up with 30mm riser bars.

Something I do to help me remember to loosen up... On longer flowing downhills I loosen my grip until basically letting go of the bars. It will help you see how much the bike handles the terrain with minimal rider input.

What tire size? 20 psi is pretty much the sweet spot for a 29er. 12-15 psi is good for 27.5+ and 5-6 psi for Full Fat.
27.5. I'll try letting a little out at a time. I'm a heavy guy so always worry about trashing the rims. Low skills and heavy weight... Thanks

Back
Top Bottom