Mummy bag advice.

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Gonna be camping in the north Maine woods AT the end of the month. Temps will drop into the thirties at night and I have no idea where to start. Is a dicks sleeping bag like a dicks mountain bike? Am I really gonna pay $800 for a good sleeping bag? Can I find one used? Please help

Last edited:
Down packs small and light but sucks balls if it gets wet. Synthetics are heavier but can sorta help you still if they get wet.

Check out the North Face Alluetian. I have a ten year old North Face Cats Meow and it's still like brand new. Nothing with cotton. Absolutely no cotton.

Get a ground pad. That's key to being warm too. Like a Thermarest.

I use and recommend Kelty Sleeping Bags.

Read reviews on Amazon and other forums. I would not go with the cheapest, but there is no need to spend a large amount of $$$.

Usually I would add 15-20 F to a bag for a normal person. A 28 F bag is more like 45 F and so on. We have a pair old Kelty Light Year 28 and my wife finds it to be comfortable down to about 38.

I like Down Sleeping Bags.

Used sleeping bags are a gamble because of smells that you might not be able to get rid of, I know.

Remember that it is not the air that will make you cold, but the ground. When frost is in the air a nice Air Sleeping Pad is a must. If you are hiking Air Pads are too big to carry and foam is the way to go. We no longer hike so I have a great Base Camp set up.

I wish my wife liked cold weather camping more, for I’m Oleg of the North People.:D

Good luck.

I will be camping in my truck tent on an air mattress, if that makes a difference.

Huge difference. Cars can push the temp up a lot. They also can hold a whole lot of humidity making sweating very easy. Keep the windows cracked if you can.

Rent a nice sleeping bag from rei. Unless you plan on doing this often. Another good option is the army surplus sleeping bag. It's multi piece. Rated for pretty cold and pretty cheap.

Rent a nice sleeping bag from rei. Unless you plan on doing this often. Another good option is the army surplus sleeping bag. It's multi piece. Rated for pretty cold and pretty cheap.

The NJ and Maine REI locations don't seem to do rentals.

REI currently has a sale ongoing, and some down mummy bags are 20-30% off.

Odd. I'm pretty sure the one by me does rent them. They sell the used ones at the garage sales. So some rei around here rents them

It seems that some customers use REI gear (like a free rental) and then return it for a refund. I did not know they actually offer equipment rentals.

The REI rentals page does not list NJ, although perhaps contacting the NJ stores will reveal otherwise.

Had a gift card to cabelas and got some pos from there. I'm gonna give it a go. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom