Mukluk Mechanical Question....

Davesnhere

Hello, Brand new Mukluk 2, 40 miles on the clock. Today I noticed the pedal started to get a wobbly feel to it. Upon further inspection found it to be the crank had come loose. Luckily I had my Topeak wonder tool with me and was able to tighten the 8mm allen that holds in on...it came loose 3 more times, and I was able to tighten it each time (I noticed if I tightened it too much the cranks seemed to bind, so I was afraid to tighten it too much). Pardon my mechanical ignorance (I am far from a mechanic here)...when I got home, I used a torque wrench (yes I was looking at the N.M. scale), but to torque it to the 40-48 N.M. causes too much binding for my liking...am I missing something here? It says Spindle, is the 8mm allen what I need to tighten here? Sorry for the crappy picture, but wanted to show what I'm talking about. Can anyone out there offer me some advise. TIA....

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 256
Take it back to the shop and have them check for the right number of bottom bracket spacers, and that they're installed on the correct side.

Yeah, like Smoove said, the BB spacing is off. The crankarm should be able to tighten all the way without binding the bearing. Some of the fat bikes I've built needed to have the BB shell faced, sometimes the paint can be pretty thick and throw the spacing off by a few mm.

Bring it back to the shop, they'll know what to do.

-Jim.

Happy Fatty Here!!!

So after attempting a home repair yesterday (unsuccessful), I took my Muk2 back to the shop....They found it had extra spacer...removed it, and wella...Fat City!!! Thanks Jason!

FYI.. The spacer was not inside the bb cups. It was between the aps adjuster and the non drive arm. Clearly a mix up at the factory. Not sure how is got there.

Had a particularly good phone interaction with the tech guy at e13 btw.

J

FYI.. The spacer was not inside the bb cups. It was between the aps adjuster and the non drive arm. Clearly a mix up at the factory. Not sure how is got there.

Had a particularly good phone interaction with the tech guy at e13 btw.

J

Thanks for clarifying, and Thanks Again Jason...Sunday's ride won't get here soon enough!!!

Back
Top Bottom