MTB Pedals 2021 best choice?

Dairyman

What is everyone running? Shimano, look egg beaters?

Ive been running Shimano spd for the last 10+ years everything from 520s to XTRs (xtr being the worst in terms of durability)

Recently I’ve been testing the look x track carbon race. They feel identical to Shimano just quieter on the trail. My last set of xtrs had a ton of play and were very noisy.

Most people don’t know that xtrs come in two different offsets as well. Long and short.

However, I think they have been giving me some tendon issues (Achilles and around my ankle). Looking for other options or I’ll just switch back to Shimano.

I loved my eggbeaters great float easy in consistent release, but when the bearings fail they become a spear on the end of your crank arm. I'm now riding shimano spds trail since they supposedly hasve better bearings

What is everyone running? Shimano, look egg beaters?

Ive been running Shimano spd for the last 10+ years everything from 520s to XTRs (xtr being the worst in terms of durability)

Recently I’ve been testing the look x track carbon race. They feel identical to Shimano just quieter on the trail. My last set of xtrs had a ton of play and were very noisy.

Most people don’t know that xtrs come in two different offsets as well. Long and short.

However, I think they have been giving me some tendon issues (Achilles and around my ankle). Looking for other options or I’ll just switch back to Shimano.
Have you ever serviced the Shimanos? That should eliminate the play and noise.

However, I think they have been giving me some tendon issues (Achilles and around my ankle). Looking for other options
It sounds like you may benefit from pedals that offer free float, so you're looking at Time and Crank Brothers, both of which will allow your feet to move more naturally while pedaling, as opposed to the "locked-in" feel of Shimano, Look, and other SPD-ish designs.

Big fan of the Crankbrothers mallets. I have the enduro platform on both of my bikes. They aren't light but the float is perfect for me and the large platform is great.

I've been using Crank Bros pedals since the Egg Beater was new. I still have those pedals. I bought the first versions of the Mallet DH as well.

Maybe it's because I'm not very heavy (175 lbs?), but I've never broken a pair of CB pedals or had bearing issues. And I run my bikes low, so I get a lot of pedal strikes.

These days I usually run Candys on my road and XC bikes and either Mallet Enduro or DH pedals on the Enduro bike (when I'm not running Stamp flats).

After twenty years using Shimano SPD pedals, kicked over to Deity Bladerunners a couple years back and am quite happy with them.

I’ve been running Time ATACs since ‘95 or so and love love love them. Tried SPD, Ritchey, Onza and prefer the float on the Times, and they can’t be beat for snow/ice performance. They are quite serviceable too and the composite body can take a real beating. My originals are still going strong 25 years on.

I did some more research last night. Shimano 51 cleats have 4 degrees of float. However, look cleats have 6 degrees.

In theory more float is better. Going to try look/look and look/shimano.

This is how I do it and you can also take the small ratchet and wrench to adjust bearings if pedals have play. But I say bullshit on that oring ever going back in.
I took an old pair of xtrs apart the rubber gasket was ripped and unusable

Back
Top Bottom