Mountain, Cross and Shuffleboard Nats

Last night Art and I decided to join a trail building group about an hour south of where we live. Art has been working with this group a few times, but this was my first time at a trail build in AZ. This was sort of like our Dirty Thursday at Ringwood, as it was an after work event and not for first timers, but more of an experienced workers day. They had already built .8 of mile in the last month and Art had been twice. There was a bit of rock work and it was all side hill. It has been real hot but yesterday the winds were howling of 24 mph. The soil management was different, but rock management was just like back east. The new part was drinking beer and cholla jokes. Oh yeh, Art leaned back and took a cholla in the a$$. You need to look before you lean or step anywhere. I know cholla look cute and fuzzy, but they are barbed and designed to stay where they latch on. You may think you have them out, but one wiggle in a seat or a turn under the sheets when sleeping, and you will be reminded that they are still there. One of the many dessert nuisances.

I forgot to bring my headlamp so as soon as it was getting dark, I started to walk out ahead of the group under a full moon. It was spectacular! I took a picture, but it didn't come out. The mountains at this park were less massive and more pyramid in shape. The moon peaking out behind sharp peaks with silhouetted saguaro was almost surreal. The walk out was actually the highlight of the event, and I think all the workers agreed on that.

I hope to get back and ride this trail before I head back east.

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0923.jpg

As you can see in the pictures, the custom handrail on our staircase is installed and the nasty shag carpet is gone. It was a happy day when we pulled up to the pit at the dump and heaved the crusty shag carpet over the edge. Sometimes other people ask us if they can take our garbage, but not this nasty carpet. It will find it's way to the landfill. The handrail has complex curves and had to be fitted in place over several visits by the welder. Art had to actually help with some of the brainstorming to make it happen. Art will be doing wood treads, when he gets a chance. That job is cueing up soon after a few good rides.

IMG_0924.jpg

Not all work and no play. Art is out riding right now. This picture reminds me to give a shout out to Stans NoTubes. With all the cactus and thorns out here, you can not get through a ride without sealant. We keep a bottle in our pack, and that will usually get us home from a ride. I suppose we should add more sealant once a month, but with 2 bikes each, we may fall behind. I have had about 4 flats out here, and I may get 1 or 2 a year back east.

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg

Our garden is planted and I actually have tiny tangerines growing on our tangerine tree. This is pretty exciting! My neighbor helped me transplant a bunch of native flowers from his garden to mine, so the yard is looking great too. I love working outside in the yard. The weather is fantastic this time of year, so what's not to like about hanging out with some cool plants and critters.

I have to admit that I miss a rainy day just a tad. ... and maybe Waywayanda too. It will probably rain every day when I start to drive home. My sinuses will clear and my lungs will become filled with moisture and humidity, something I have not felt in awhile. It is nice to get a taste of both during the year as I enjoy the change of climates. I hope to be home by the Wawayanda race, but if the last few projects are ahead or behind, we may adjust. I'm a little bummed to miss the Allamuchy race, but April races don't work well with the current retirement plan. We are filing and voting in NY. In the future if we decide to file in AZ, we may have to stretch our time out here even more. All things for us to think about.

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0886.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_0941.jpg

I am getting ready to start my trek back east, as Arizona winter wonderland 2016 is winding down. Yesterday was real hot in the afternoon and I tried to spend most my afternoon in the shade, if possible. Art’s truck burst a fuel line a few days ago and had to get towed back to the dealer that had just replaced a fuel filter a few days before. Seems to be fixed now and I hope our travels go smoothly. It could have been much worse if this had happened on our trip back.

Retirement:

When we purchased a winter home in AZ, I had no idea that we would sell our NJ home a year later. The whole thing happened rather quickly and I think we are both pretty happy with how it all turned out. I was given some inaccurate advice on capitol gains from my financial advisor and was expecting a big hit from selling the NJ home. Last Friday our accountant gave us some great news and we did not owe anywhere near what we expected. Once again, the selling of our NJ home has gone better than expected. … not the typical these days.

In comparing different places to live, I think AZ has a lower cost of living than NJ. And while NY and NJ have similar income tax and property tax, health insurance is much less expensive in NY than NJ. I have no idea why or how long that will last. Hospitals are booming in AZ and I imagine we may eventually move our residency for better health care. Funny how health becomes so much more important as you get older.

Riding:

The riding out here is good and the weather allows it almost every day, year round. Well, if you do not mind 100 degrees in summer where you have to be done riding by 8am. It’s sort of the opposite of winter back east. Out here people ride less and do not race in summer. They night ride or leave for cooler places to ride. You go inside during the day and take a siesta. I am still feeling drawn to more lush and cooler places in summer for a change in season. So as the 95 degree days roll in, we start to wrap up our house projects and get ready to head back to NY for some great riding at Waway and Ringwood.

I have been having more back issues and developed numbness in my hands while riding, so as much I entertain the idea of more riding and racing, my body may not be up for it. I am hoping that going back to a bigger and full suspension bike might help, but I really have no idea. I have tried about everything I could think of with fit, grips and position and I think it is back/neck related not bike. The drive across the country is very long and does not help my back either. I am dreading it a bit. We hope to stop more this year and see if that helps. I already have my massage apt set up for when I get back. Karyn can usually get me and my back functioning again.

House Projects:

Just thinking back, I am a bit overwhelmed with all the projects completed this year: The laundry room, new shed, new windows, a new sliding door, retaining wall, patio, foundation repair and basement, wood treads and floors, plus all the finish work related: stucco, tile, painting and plantings. Who said retirement was supposed to be about doing nothing, right? Perhaps a bathroom remodel next year, but for now, I am looking to take a break from projects and go ride Wawayanda.

IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0691.jpg
IMG_0679.jpg
truck on bed.jpg

I am back in NJ/NY, and it feels great to witness spring and all it's green and moisture. This year we we split the drive into 4 days of 10 hours or less. The first day was scenic and the rest interstate. We stopped for one 1 hour ride in a city park in Tulsa on day 2 and took multiple standing breaks in rest stops each day. I wish there was something that caught our interest in the middle of the country, as it would really help break up the drive with a down day. It always seems to rain in that part of the country as we travel. I wonder what it must be like to live in such a rainy place. We got beaned with hail several times on day 3. My take away is that the 4 days is much better than pushing for 3. I feel so much better this year compared to last year when my back went into spasm on the last day.

Art was able to rebuild Pivot that was waiting apart all winter due to some shock trouble. I now have a new shock since I am too small to run low air on the regular shock. After getting it set up this morning and taking it for a spin on the Waway course, it seems to work pretty well. It was also nice to get back on a FS after riding a HT most of the winter. Riding Waway is also totally awesome! :) It feels great to be back. Art is currently up in woods working on the trails in the rain. ....Would you expect anything else?

are you mixing your own sealant? (a bit late, last friday post reference)
found liquid latex on ebay for $50, mix 50/50 w/rv antifreeze (per @michael.su) and #boom - 2 gals of sealant for $54.

are you mixing your own sealant? (a bit late, last friday post reference)
found liquid latex on ebay for $50, mix 50/50 w/rv antifreeze (per @michael.su) and #boom - 2 gals of sealant for $54.
No, we use stans liquid and are pretty happy with it. I just have to remember to refill all my tires every few weeks in the dry climate. Our neighbor in AZ makes his own sealant out of modeling paste, windex and some green stuff that is not slime.

I have not been too good keeping this thread going, but I'll give it another shot. .....
I went to sign up for the Wawayanda Spring Cleaning race and was stuck in indecision going back an forth between bike reg and the weather channel. I decided that 40 degrees and rain was no longer my thing. The cold just does not interest me, actually it turns me off, and with a lack of interest in racing, it was enough to loose the deal. I am not sure how it happened, but somewhere in that night of internet flip flop, I signed up for Bearcat instead. All this makes little sense, but sometimes things happen that I can not explain in a logical way. So my first race thing did not happen, but I wrangled myself into something bigger. I am not saying this is good or bad or that I am worried or anything. I just need to get my head into it.

I was all set to punch out some mountain bike miles, and we had a week of rain. The result: less riding and more drinking. I can't believe how depressing it can be when it rains for a week. I really wonder how people in rainy places survive. I do recall being in AZ and thinking that some humidity might be nice. I guess I got it. Finally the sun comes out and I have a long waited for appointment to have some moles removed. It turns out to be way more than I thought and I can't get them wet for a few weeks. It was recommended to avoid sweating. I'm thinking: you got to be kidding, right? How am I going to stay sane without riding my bike on a sunny day? Long story short, I have made a compromise and have done a few short rides every few days, washing and drying afterwards. The good news is that I am enjoying my rides, I am not tired and the sun has been out. Yay!

On todays ride, I ran into some volunteers that help out on the Ringwood trails. It was nice to see them out riding on the new crossover trail with their dogs. It gave me a huge feeling of accomplishment to see a couple out enjoying the trail that a few of us went to great efforts to create. We often face complaints from riders that say the trails are dumbed down or too smooth, and while I sometimes agree with their preferred trail choice, seeing this couple out riding, made me realize the opportunity we have created for so many by creating a less rugged trail. Some trails should invite kids and new riders. Mountain biking is not a private club. It is open for many to play. Today was a good reminder of the positive effects of building gateway or multi level trails. They add a depth of variety to the trail system that is hard to find in many parks. So, although my ride was short today, it was positive.

Ilgenstein lookout over NYC.
IMG_1149.jpg

Absolutely, love your updates Ellen!

That white trail is one of the best trails in the state, I dont care what anyone says....Yourself, Art and the crew have done an amazing job!

Ellen I am watching a documentary-ish show on Esquire On-Demand about 4 endurance athletes doing 2016 24hours of Old Pueblo...I keep looking for you:)

The show is called Boundless, episode 301 on Esquire Channel

Ellen I am watching a documentary-ish show on Esquire On-Demand about 4 endurance athletes doing 2016 24hours of Old Pueblo...I keep looking for you:)

The show is called Boundless, episode 301 on Esquire Channel

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo is such a cool event. There are just so many people that attend. Many just come to get warm! I was on a team this past year and only did 3 laps and did not wear a costume. So chances of seeing me are pretty low when you consider 1800 riders and a few thousand crazy people drinking beer and soaking up the sun. Pixy kind of disappears into the background.

Last edited:
Home projects continue, even on the east coast. We painted our guest room the same color green that we had in our old NJ home. The name of the color was "brookside moss" and being that the guest room looks out over a mossy brook, it seemed appropriate. Plus I like the way the color looked with the furniture. Made some curtains too.

Now Art is building a bookcase in our den. Check out the pocket doors he is adding as well. That guy knows some stuff!! I'll post up some more pictures as the project moves along.

Not much to report on racing other than I did do Jungle and finished. Can't say I felt up to racing it, but had no problem navigating the wet course at a moderate pace. I have been tired ever since, so not sure if there will be much more racing for me this year, but I plan to ride for enjoyment when I feel up to it.

I have my mind on trail projects too. So, there is much to keep me occupied in the next few weeks. The Crossover re-route should be complete by tomorrow's work day, and I am sure many of us need to step back and take a deep breath while we wait for more approvals to go through for future projects.

built in.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

Art finally finished the built in bookcase wall in the office/den. I helped follow through with some fresh Paint. It felt good to empty out the half dozen of boxes piled up and taking up half this room. Instead of racing Bearcat in the rain, we spent 2 days going through old records and purging. As it turns out, this wall built in should fit everything. If anyone needs a file cabinet, let me know. I have two for recycling.

There is something very satisfying about simplifying and getting rid of too much stuff that I thought I needed and now realize I do not really need. I think it is a good idea to downsize stuff while you are still young enough to enjoy the freedom that can result from this effort. It's funny that we spend our life building a pile of stuff and then we have the urge to let it go. It really makes no sense.

As much as we wanted to get rid of the stained carpet in this room as part of this project, it may have to wait until next year. Art left the tile saw in AZ, so all NY tile projects are on hold until next year. Perhaps I can do a whole tile blog next year. We also may try out cork flooring in our closet and see what we think. Perhaps cork is an option. Cork is supposed to be comfortable to walk on, sustainable and an inexpensive option to wood, tile and carpet. If anyone has any experience or opinions on cork, I would love to hear.

The bike: Over the past 3 weeks I have felt like crap on the bike, and with each week, I have been getting worse. Not sure what is up, but I have been real tired and some days find it hard to ride more than an hour. Also, both Art and I have made some changes in our diet. Art has decided to cut out processed food, GMO foods like wheat and all but small amounts of chicken and meat. Filling in with more organic vegetables and nuts and seeds. While Art has felt ok, I have been too tired to exercise much. He has lost weight, which he does not need, and I have gained weight which I do not need. Yesterday I added back some wheat products and volume and felt really good today. It was my longest ride since the Jungle race and equally demanding. I will see how things go this next week, but for now racing is on hold for me. I am hoping to get back out there racing later this year, even if it is just for a few races.

Here are some shots from todays ride. I rode from RW to Ramapo and back home. It's a great ride and boy was it a nice day.

IMG_1181.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

I am feeling much better on the bike. Monday was my day off, and Thursday I did trail build at Sterling which is heavy work. No light rock work. I rode all other 5 days which is good. I actually completed a 42 mile road ride up in Harriman on Tuesday. It was a "10" day weather wise, and I think that helped to stoke my interest. I had been beginning to think I had Lyme again, so I am glad to come back around. It really has been a stellar week.

13495613_10206453403230420_3457813432580667067_o.jpg
IMG_1214.jpg

Kitchen cabinet installed, but waiting for glass panels and countertop. I need to get going on laying out backsplash too. Here is a before and after picture.

IMG_1206.jpg
IMG_1217.jpg

House projects: Things came together real quick last week with our bar cabinet in the kitchen. Countertop and glass panels arrived and Art installed them. I finished unpacking boxes of glasses from the move and planned out a backsplash using some remaining tiles left by the previous owner and ordering some extra. Art installed and grouted. The only boxes left in my living room are the ones going to Arizona. It feels good to have that part of my life cleaned up for now. Today the glue for the floor arrived, so next up: cork floor and built ins for the master closet.

On the Bike: I may have jumped the gun with riding enthusiasm 2 weeks ago, as last week I was flat again. I can only assume I needed recovery from the week before. My plan was to bail on Steel City Enduro and do Lewis Morris on a single speed instead. Art set my siren up as a single speed and I rode it up to Ringwood mid week. That may have been a mistake, because Ringwood is not the most single speed friendly place in my opinion. I came home both tired and discouraged. My Friday did not go as planned and after patching up an injured rider on the trail, pre-reg did not happen. Worked out for the best as I got food poisoning Saturday morning and racing wasn't happening anyway.

I woke up Sunday feeling like a new person so I stuck my single speed in the truck so I could take a lap before Art's race. The course was really nice, ...well for Lewis Morris. I went out behind the Cat 3's, and as frustrating as this may sound, I really enjoyed it. I feared that the start climb that everyone was warning people about might be a ss dismount point. To my surprise, it was a not only a piece of cake to ride up, but a cool trail as well. I remember the old trail before they rerouted this new trail. It was part of all the old Lewis Morris races 20 years ago. It was horrible in my memories because they would start at the bottom and finish at the top. So you would always have to go up the steep hill one more time at the end. I did my first race ever at Lewis Morris and my first Cat 1 race at Lewis Morris. Can you believe that I had to go up that f'ing hill 5 times as a first time Cat 1? It was a mind numbing, never ending race back then. Much better Sunday. :)

At the top of the first climb, I encountered Art off his bike helping a girl shift with what was probably dried old shifters that a child was not strong enough to shift. Then there was a boy who did not have the strength to make it around the winding turns. I cheered him on a bit, but eventually moved on and started finding my SS groove. I encountered Art again and this time he was waving me down to stop. It was a boy with a broken chain, and Art did not have any tools. It took 4 peoples tools, but Art managed to get the boy back in the race, and I rode behind the boy until he caught up with another boy. Until you see kids out there riding, you have no idea how big this must be for them to go off 6 miles into the woods and unknown just following some other kids.

After 22 years of racing, I like these reminders of where I started and how far I have come. Mountain biking can be so exciting but many times we get so lost in racing and training we forget about that first plunge and how exciting it was. I always wonder why so many Cat 1 racers drop out of racing after a few years. Perhaps we all chase the excitement of new adventure and new experiences. I guess it is always good to mix it up some. My take away from this weekend is to not think about my racing so much and just enjoy all that there is to enjoy about being on a bike, whatever it may be at the time.

IMG_1222.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom