Motorcycles.... where do i start?

Whatever you choose, def take an msf course(s)
Then get some parking lot throttle time so you are used to the throttle response, braking and weight/feel. Then go out early weekend mornings when there is little to no traffic and get used to handling city riding. Greg Widmar’s videos (motojitsu on YT) helped me a metric shit-ton.

Good luck and always ride defensively.

This is all good advice. Except I find motojitsu grating. :) When you're new, you spend a lot of mental effort on the mechanics of riding. To an extent, you're relying on a bit of good luck. When I got back in a few years ago, I was very aware how far my skills had atrophied and that, for example, being forced to do a full-on emergency stop was not likely to go great. It wasn't until I went back to the track a few times that I started to feel close to my old self. Even now, some of the subtle stuff (full lock u-turns while slipping the clutch for example) takes more concentration than it should.

Always be learning. There are a lot of people out there who will tell you they have 25 years of experience when they really have one year of experience, 25 times over.

Used motorcycles went through the same crazy pricing as used bicycles so you're seeing that effect. There's a '22 Ninja 400 in Keyport with a $5000 ask and a '21 w/ABS in Neptune with a $4900 ask.

Another thing to consider is that buying a motorcycle at most of the dealerships I've experienced is the worst, with all kinds of bullsh*t fees so the price you're comparing to (MSRP) is not the true point of comparison. Hanover quoted me $7500 OTD on a $5400 Husqvarna a couple years ago. Motorcycle Mall (after extensive pulling of teeth just to get a number) came back with $7800. The only straight-up place I've seen is Central Jersey in Eatontown where the price is $X + tax + tags. He only sells Husqvarna though.
Avoid motorcycle mall like it's the plague. They do some seriously shady shit over there..

Last edited:
Avoid motorcycle mall like it's the plague. They do some seriously shady shit over there..
Any big mega-dealer is going to burn you IMHO. So many mouths to feed. I get OEM Ducati parts at Cross Country in Metuchen. The number of employees wandering around that place is insane. Not coincidentally, "set up" on a new Ducati (which probably means install handllebar, connect computer, start it up) is $1200.

Any big mega-dealer is going to burn you IMHO. So many mouths to feed. I get OEM Ducati parts at Cross Country in Metuchen. The number of employees wandering around that place is insane. Not coincidentally, "set up" on a new Ducati (which probably means install handllebar, connect computer, start it up) is $1200.
Well... MM made a fake work order that said warranty work was done on my bike when my bike was never even in their shop. I had to get in touch with ducati NA to confirm the part was never even ordered for the bike and even then the dealer still fought me. I left a negative Yelp review and the owner responded that I took advantage of them and I was the one who cheated them.. worst experience ever

Sportbikes look cool... but being no spring chicken, I should think about whats more comfortable?
Late to the party… There are some sport bikes that are standards dressed up to look like sport bikes (Ninja 400, CBR500R) and true committed sport bikes like ZX6Rs that aren’t designed for comfort.

I had a Ninja 400 and it’s more comfortable than a Royal Enfield Interceptor (which I also had) IMHO.

If you’re still looking, a slightly used Ninja 400 is a fantastic bike to start with. I’ve had too many bikes come and go in the garage and have hit many demo days so I’ve had the chance to ride quite a few different bike. The Ninja 400 is great.

Back
Top Bottom