IGVENTURE

Sunday was the start of the race season for me with the first H2H of the year, Shazam! I won the Cat 1 45+ class on my SS.
20180415_135125.jpg

Normally by mid April I'd have at least 4 races in but with March being what it was I got more xc skiing in since races were cancelled due to snow. This was somewhat bittersweet since I've raced short track at Allamuchy for at least the last 6 years in March, however I did manage to meet up with Paul on the groomed ski trails in March. One door closes another opens.
20180304_152551.jpg

I've ridden with Paul on and off over the years, I believe he lived near Utah (the verbose talker, not the state) at one point and through this connection I'd bump into him on occasion. He moved out west and lived in Tahoe for awhile where he took up xc ski racing. It was good to hook up with him on the trails at High Point, while I've been skiing for about 15 yrs, he taught me some different techniques to ski faster and thus work harder. I guess you could say skiing with Paul on wknds in March was my short track racing.

The H2H made a lot of changes to the race series, the one that effected me was consolidation of Cat1 & Cat 2 SS class. The idea of grouping more people into a class was ok but changing the length of racing to a Cat 2 distance was not something I was interested in. As a Cat 1 racer this would be taking a step backwards. A lot of other guys I race SS with felt the same way, initially we planned to line up in pro class on our SS's, this way we could all still race each other despite being different ages(under 45 and 45+). Kirt talked me out of this and I'm glad he did, it was a dumb idea. In reality it would be too discouraging to get blown away by pro riders. While I wanted to line up with the same SS guys I did in previous years, it was time for a change, so I decided to race my SS in 45+ class. One door closes another opens.

The night before the race, I lay awake thinking about everything that could go wrong the next day. Despite knowing that I shouldn't focus on the negative it's hard not to be nervous about the unknown. These thoughts can be enough to drive people away from competition, the relatively brief amount of time spent racing is like cramming 10 yrs of life into 1:30 hrs. It's intense but once the gun goes off you do your thing and there is no place for negative thoughts to get into your head. I was surprised at how well I did and was ecstatic to win in a field of mountain bikers that has always been ahead of me. I don't know how I'll do in the remaining races but I do know there will be excellent competition , which is all that really matters.

in the first photo, it looks like you have no arms.

how come no gearing details!? congrats grandpa.

how come no gearing details!?
For me, racing rocky tech with elevation is always 32x20. I wasn't sure how this spinny gear would work on the fire road start, but no one went ape shit off the line and I was able to sit in and spin. After the start the course seemed to go either up or down on fire roads until we got into white, which is a twisty downhill flow. Coming out of white is a long climb towards the more tech half of course. I was able to work my way up to 2nd by the top of this climb on lap 1. I came upon Dave Kahl on Skylands who had at about 1+minute up on me, unfortunately he flatted out. He was killing it.
Coming around for lap 2 I latched onto the wheel of a -45 rider and drafted behind him spinning as hard as I could. This was not enough to put a gap on Mills and Ken W., they caught up to me and we rode together until white, with Mills jumping in front of me before White and Ken not to far behind. We kept the pressure on to try and gap Ken, which worked but Kirt blew up on long steep climb to Skylands. I made a move and kept the hammer down until tech single track and put a slight gap on Mills. Once in Skylands I just settled in, knowing a steady pace will keep my gap on Mills and Ken. I will admit to running some tech when i encountered peeps in front of me and taking an occasional dab, i was feeling gassed. The first half of Skylands is mostly uphill, which worked in my favor, as I rounded the corner and headed down toward the Race Course I felt comfortable enough and was cautious with my lines, just wanting to finish out clean. That last 5 minutes of the race felt sweet.

That last 5 minutes of the race felt sweet.

When you know you got it locked up, hell yes they feel sweet.

Really impressive riding, especially with a rigid bike. @Kirt should have pushed the pace on the fire roads and made you spin out. Now knowing you were running 32 20, it makes sense why you were climbing so strong.

Were you hanging on the downhills?
Would u ever consider putting a dropper post on that bike?

Being able to run a gear which wasn't decided by your ego is a good strategic advantage.

@Kirt should have pushed the pace on the fire roads and made you spin out.

Would u ever consider putting a dropper post on that bike?

Being able to run a gear which wasn't decided by your ego is a good strategic advantage.
I think Kirt was pushing on fire roads, that's how he caught me on lap 2 after start/finish. Honestly there was not a lot of flat fire road sections. I made ground going up, may have lost a bit going down but not terrible, the long downhill to white is where Kirt gapped me but after white there is a long uphill that got me back up front. After that Skylands and race course are somewhat neutral, only pro guys can make up time in there.

While I love my dropper on tallboy, I'm not convinced it's necessary for the stuff we ride in H2H. I like keeping my SS light and simple. Races are usually won on the climbs, not so much on downhills.

I've run a 32x20 at Allaire with the local hammers, sometimes I'm just to lazy to swap my gear out. I'm probably weighing in at under 150 lbs, I don't have a lot of torque when I stand on pedals, I prefer to whip my crank 3-5" to make it go. Whip it good.

I feel like it’s illegal to have a dropper on a rigid bike. At least a suspension fork first. It’s kind of like knee warmers before arm warmers... that’s a big no no

This is extremely hard.

I feel like it’s illegal to have a dropper on a rigid bike. At least a suspension fork first. It’s kind of like knee warmers before arm warmers... that’s a big no no

Nah, it's like making your mtb a bmx bike.

For me, racing rocky tech with elevation is always 32x20. I wasn't sure how this spinny gear would work on the fire road start, but no one went ape shit off the line and I was able to sit in and spin. After the start the course seemed to go either up or down on fire roads until we got into white, which is a twisty downhill flow. Coming out of white is a long climb towards the more tech half of course. I was able to work my way up to 2nd by the top of this climb on lap 1. I came upon Dave Kahl on Skylands who had at about 1+minute up on me, unfortunately he flatted out. He was killing it.
Coming around for lap 2 I latched onto the wheel of a -45 rider and drafted behind him spinning as hard as I could. This was not enough to put a gap on Mills and Ken W., they caught up to me and we rode together until white, with Mills jumping in front of me before White and Ken not to far behind. We kept the pressure on to try and gap Ken, which worked but Kirt blew up on long steep climb to Skylands. I made a move and kept the hammer down until tech single track and put a slight gap on Mills. Once in Skylands I just settled in, knowing a steady pace will keep my gap on Mills and Ken. I will admit to running some tech when i encountered peeps in front of me and taking an occasional dab, i was feeling gassed. The first half of Skylands is mostly uphill, which worked in my favor, as I rounded the corner and headed down toward the Race Course I felt comfortable enough and was cautious with my lines, just wanting to finish out clean. That last 5 minutes of the race felt sweet.

I really missed that race flow on Sunday. I really like it when you’re in the race and can employ some tactics out there. Congrats on a good race. Pretty sure that was you yelling, “if you can’t ride it get off the trail.” LOL

Really impressive riding, especially with a rigid bike. @Kirt should have pushed the pace on the fire roads and made you spin out.

LOL. Yes I was pushing him on the FR but there was that silly long climb to get there that was the problem. He would gap me a bit & I had to work hard to get back. 1st lap I had to get thru some traffic to get back to him, which isn't easy on those roads. I was on his wheel into the white DH and stayed until that "climb". 2nd lap was the same except only 1 rider between us so I got around both into white. I had a little gap and then I made a mistake at the bottom of white just before those tight trees. Looked back and caught my front wheel causing me to come off. I got lucky I didn't crash. In reality it made no difference, it just would have delayed the inevitable.

He was definitely hanging on the DH, letting it all hang out. His bike handling was impressive. I didn't see him make a single mistake. He wouldn't have won if, even with his superior fitness, if his handling was on point.

20180419_165259.jpg

I didn't know where to post this, music? beerz?Iggy blog? I'll post it here to keep the blog going on topics other then bike racing.

Last night I met up with @capedoc and his uncle and former band mate at Triumph in Princeton. We had beerz and food before going to see Jeff Tweedy at the McCarter Theater. Mary met me there, she was in the city on a school trip earlier in the day. This was way more fun then the previous night on Tuesday when my sump pump malfunctioned and flooded my basement.
20180419_083237.jpg

I think everyone should go see a show after their basement floods, it cheers you up. Not going to work the next day also puts you in a good mood. Instead of work I marked the Mooch race course(jargon used by local mountain bikers for Allamuchy trails that are part of the Hudson to Highlands race series located in Allamuchy New Jersey) with Bill, Kirt and Glen. The course is the same as last year, despite all the rains of late it is in good shape. While it's somewhat technical it allows for nice flow over the rocks. It's got some climbs, sweet downhills and we get to use the short track around the lake which sat idle in March this year, under snow. Come out and race Sunday or just stop by and say hey and see what it's all about.
https://www.bikereg.com/38323
Maybe we shouldn't try to smile so hard next time?
20180419_115403.jpg

View attachment 67456

I didn't know where to post this, music? beerz?Iggy blog? I'll post it here to keep the blog going on topics other then bike racing.

Last night I met up with @capedoc and his uncle and former band mate at Triumph in Princeton. We had beerz and food before going to see Jeff Tweedy at the McCarter Theater. Mary met me there, she was in the city on a school trip earlier in the day. This was way more fun then the previous night on Tuesday when my sump pump malfunctioned and flooded my basement.
View attachment 67458
I think everyone should go see a show after their basement floods, it cheers you up. Not going to work the next day also puts you in a good mood. Instead of work I marked the Mooch race course(jargon used by local mountain bikers for Allamuchy trails that are part of the Hudson to Highlands race series located in Allamuchy New Jersey) with Bill, Kirt and Glen. The course is the same as last year, despite all the rains of late it is in good shape. While it's somewhat technical it allows for nice flow over the rocks. It's got some climbs, sweet downhills and we get to use the short track around the lake which sat idle in March this year, under snow. Come out and race Sunday or just stop by and say hey and see what it's all about.
https://www.bikereg.com/38323
Maybe we shouldn't try to smile so hard next time?
View attachment 67459
Who's that guy next to Glenn?

I need a size between small and medium, maybe I should market this and call it a smedium, pronounced schmedium. Just a thought.

Sunday was back to racing the H2H series. There has been a lot of talk lately about racing and how to grow the numbers in a dwindling field. Looking back I recall my first mtb race was in 2010? I lined up at Tymor H2H with Kirt and the CAT2 40-49 class, kinda funny that after racing different age groups and SS class over the years that this season I'm lining up with Kirt again. I got 3rd that day at Tymor and Kirt got 2nd. Yesterday at Mooch I finished 2nd and Kirt got 3rd, full circle thing happening.

Mooch Madness yesterday, now that everyone on the team is getting older we are going to transition to a bowling team, thus the new uniforms.
20180423_080427.jpg

After the 2010 Tymor race I was hooked on racing. I did well in my first race and wanted more. What drew me into racing was wondering how I measure up to fellow mtbers. I had previously done road races but fell out of that scene when the demands of being a dad increased, when I did have free time I began mtbing to blow off steam. MTBNJ.COM helped me learn about mtb culture and feel connected to a community, when I was a roadie there was not much to keep me connected with other roadies. I was on a team but was not real tight with the guys, they seemed older and already entrenched in their cycling friendships, I always felt like the new guy.

Reading Norms post educated me about mtb racing and spurred on my interest in racing. He was the quintessential king of Cat 2. As a newb reading his blog I thought he was like the Lance Armstrong(before we knew of doping) of mtbing, Norm was and still is somewhat of an idol to MTBNJ, even though he doesn't race much anymore.

Lining up to race yesterday with 15 other people felt like a throw back to the glory days of H2H racing. 15 people doesn't sound like a lot, nothing can compare to those cluster fuck mass starts of Cathedral Pines of SSaP, but in this area, racing with 15 mtbers in a class is pretty solid. Our overall numbers where similar to last year, which is pretty good considering most races have been losing numbers every year.

So back to the question, how do we grow the numbers. This is tough, racing is a commitment, someone usually comes to the realization that they want to race and then seeks out racing. Racing does not seek out racers, nor does romance seek out lovers...its the other way around. Ok, I saw a Shakespeare play this wknd and this may have influenced that comment, Macduff. My point is you can't go knocking on doors like a Jehovah Witness looking for recruits. All we can do is promote mtb culture and welcome all new comers. NICA is getting kids into mtbing, which is awesome, everyone is hoping these kids will continue mtbing into adulthood, with a percentage of them taking up racing.

Mtbing racing is not all training, training is necessary but so is enjoying riding your bike. Three of these people ended up on a podium yesterday after riding with Mitch Saturday. Rides with Mitch are always fun.
42508.jpeg

I took pictures of nearly every Cat 1/Open person heading down this cheeky little descent on Freakin' Middle on the first lap. I was amazed at how many Pro/Open guys are still 2-finger braking.

@pooriggy on the other hand don't GAF about gravity.
20180422-_MG_2845-X2.jpg

look Ma. No brakes.
iggy nobrakes.JPG

Back
Top Bottom