IGVENTURE

I took pictures of nearly every Cat 1/Open person heading down this cheeky little descent on Freakin' Middle on the first lap. I was amazed at how many Pro/Open guys are still 2-finger braking.

@pooriggy on the other hand don't GAF about gravity.
20180422-_MG_2845-X2.jpg

look Ma. No brakes.
View attachment 67693
@Delish there is a reason for this, @pooriggy uses no brakes because he has no brake lever. He broke it last year and never fixed it. Look closer and you can see half of it is gone and now just a sharp pointed piece of deformed aluminium.
photo_1524497359605.jpg

@Delish, @Mitch is correct, my front brake lever is ghetto. I broke it a year ago but there is still enough to brake with. @Jeremy took this pic after the Thursday night ride a few wks ago.
I've been down freakin middle enough times to know when to brake and more importantly when not to brake. That mooch race course is a fun 5 mile of trail, it's the kinda loop you would ride if you could only get out for 45 minutes.

My tires were a bit over inflated and I was bouncing around way more then I wanted to, I messed up a lot of sections on that 1st lap. I settled down for the 2nd and 3rd laps.

Just like last week at Ringwood, Dave Kahl was off the front from the start and maintained an untouchable lead over me, however unlike last week he did not flat out of the race and got the win. I battled back and forth with Ken W towards the end of first lap and with Kirt on the end of 2nd lap. With both battles, any lead I had after the bitch slap climbs was nullified after ice cream descents. Rigid is great for climbing, not so much on downhills.

Kirt and I were hurting at the start of 3rd lap, we both forgot Gu's and were feeling the fatigue from the last 2 laps. I tried to put in a dig going up the fire road to the single track but my magic powers were fading. We rode together through freakin middle feeling every rock and incline. I knew the bitch slap climbs would be my only chance to lose Kirt, I had to create a large enough gap so he would not catch me at the bottom of ice cream.

I put the hammer down and pushed my way up the climbs, at the top I did my best to keep pushing, knowing without the gap, I'll be caught. As I made my way over to the Short Track section, I didn't want to look back but rather focused ahead of me. By the time I crossed the road to lower ST around the lake and didn't see Kirt behind me, I knew I was in good shape. If I kept a steady pace through last ST sections I'd keep 2nd place. I rode the ST out to finish with caution and breathed a sigh of relief as I crossed the finish lone.

IF50K

Saturday I raced the Iron Furnace 50K, this was a new race put on by Black Bear at Wawayanda. Despite going to Waway many times I still made the bonehead mistake of going all the way up 23 to Caneaster rd(spelling?) only to find out this is the back entrance to park, with no thru access. I think there was also an email saying, don't do this... but GPS. Turn around, drive like a nut and get to parking lot at 9:30am.

Without much time to spare I change and pedal over to reg with my water and food. I see my team, some friends and calm down before the starting whistle goes off. I'm sitting about 10th out of 45 as we go up Black Eagle into double track. Quickly I notice my Tallboy takes more effort to go uphill then my rigid SS. With the effort I'm putting out I feel like I should be leading but instead I am struggling to keep up.

At the top of climb we make a right and go down Hofferlin and I hit the dropper post and open up rear shock and quickly find myself back up with leaders. This is why I am riding the Tallboy, downhills and tech are so much fun. This is more or less how it goes for the rest of the race, I fall off pace on climbs and make up some ground going downhill. Despite this I am losing the leaders and find myself alone, with the feeling like I'm not racing anyone.

After 2 laps I come across the finish line in 5th place, which I'm happy with. I came into this race with low expectations since I no longer am an endurance guy. It was a fun ride on the Tallboy however after racing the SS, I find the Tallboy to be less race worthy. Also, I tip my cap to those who finished ahead of me, 3+hrs of racing ain't easy, no matter what you're riding.

My buddy from college sent me this pic over the wknd. It made me smile and at the same time it made it extremely clear to me that I like being around people. I kinda always knew this, however when these 2 pics pop up on your phone within hours apart it's a confirmation of who I am.

Can up pick me out?
20180506_211117.jpg

And 32 yrs later.

FB_IMG_1525655525311.jpg

I see you....your on the bike with #3167

My thoughts exactly on the tall boy. Which is not any sort of a slight against that bike...Its an awesome bike and I love riding it, its just not an XC bike uphill.

I see you....your on the bike with #3167

My thoughts exactly on the tall boy. Which is not any sort of a slight against that bike...Its an awesome bike and I love riding it, its just not an XC bike uphill.
Is the tall boy marketed as a race bike? Maybe @pooriggy shoukd get on that new Blur?

Having recently jumped into the SC world with my 5010, it is certianly no light weight and seems to climb ok, but man, I climb slow AF on that thing.

Is the tall boy marketed as a race bike? Maybe @pooriggy shoukd get on that new Blur?

Having recently jumped into the SC world with my 5010, it is certianly no light weight and seems to climb ok, but man, I climb slow AF on that thing.

I think before the blur came back it was. The previous generation Tallboy was more XC than the new version (which iggy has) IMO. The new version to me feels like a "trail" bike. Which is awesome the other 98% of the time when im not racing. To me the difference is less about the weight and more about how you sit on the bike....shorter cockpit, more upright, slacker head angle...you just arent in as good of a position for seated climbing...Like for example, on my scalpel..When im sitting on it..I can go out on the road and pedal at 20+ mph and feel like im in that same sort of power position I would be on my road bike. Which has its drawbacks on the trail too, but time in XC is always in the hills.

@pooriggy should definitely send his son to a local college and get himself a Blur :) Actually, no...I think the tallboy is like a perfect mix for most people. I love my scalpel but it is a RACE bike, its not the bike i want to take to the sourlands for a play ride.

Yeah, there are better fs bikes out there for racing but for now I'm gonna use my rigid SS for racing. This geo of this frame has been around awhile, it used to be the Gary Fisher single fly/rig. I've had this bike for 8 yrs with several warranty replacements. Trek finally figured out a reliable slider system for the bike, however after 2 yrs of production decided to stop making this bike. I have the 2016, which is the last year this bike was made. I love the geo of this bike, when I took the suspension fork off of it, it felt like plucking a banjo, so responsive and lively. Like a stripped down sports car.

I love my Tallboy and my SS Superfly, they are totally different bikes, which suit my needs for what I do. Needless to say, I am going to have to keep a look out for 2015 or 2016 Superfly...just in case;)

So next bike, I think I've narrowed it down to SC Blur and Turner Czar. So far, Czar lightning blue color has it in the lead

So next bike, I think I've narrowed it down to SC Blur and Turner Czar. So far, Czar lightning blue color has it in the lead
Make sure you take for a ride and test out the fit. Race geometry bikes usually have a different feel then all mountain rides.
Your gonna crush the 60+class in the H2H.

I love my Tallboy and my SS Superfly, they are totally different bikes, which suit my needs for what I do.
This is how I like my MTB stable, except both my bikes are a little more XC oriented, I’ll throw the dropper on the scalpel and run 2.4f/2.3 rear and it’s as close as i get to the trail bike i need.

Maybe i should start a new blog, Life After Midpack...Death by Bunga???

You know u worked out hard the day before when u don't poop the next day.

I made the drive out to French Creek Saturday, it's a solid 2hrs away but I met up with Tony F, what's his username?, on the turnpike to have company for the drive. We also ended up on the podium together, so we had a lot to talk about on the way home.

We got there by 11ish, plenty of time to bs, kit up and check out some of the course before the 1pm start. I always laugh to myself when I see peeps warming up with a road bike on a trainer for a mtb race.

I must say there was a lot of mtbers at this event, it looked festive seeing the tents lined up near the finish line. More people=more atmosphere.

At the start line it's me, Tony and Jaime, representing Cat 1 SS NJ. There are 4 other dudes I don't know, so I guess they are locals. The bell beeps and we pedal hard up a hill. Less then 10 minutes in we drop the locals and its us NJ guys. Tony puts a gap on me and Jaime that neither of us can answer to. The course is a good mix of climb, tech, downhill and occasional mud. There is one hike a bike section which sucks, but whatev...overall it's a solid 8 mile loop.

As we came around to lap 2 and start up the climb, Jaime passed me. I wanted to stay on his wheel but couldn't, my hr would not recover and I did not have the chase in me. I was hoping to catch him on the downhill afterward but that didn't happen. About a mile before hike a bike I found Tony fiddling with his bike, he dropped his chain and was having problems getting it back on. I tried to put a gap on him and hold down 2nd place. I held onto 2nd for less then 10 minutes when Tony came flying by me on a downhill. Fuck, I'm back in 3rd.

As we came to the hike bike on lap 2 I could see Jaime at the top and Tony chasing him. I thought i would see them at the start of lap 3, but they were gone. I rode the last lap rationalizing to myself that 3rd place is ok. At this point I begin to question my training, rest, nutrition...essentially I turned into Dave Taylor. I realize I don't want to be Dave Taylor, so I begin to think rationally and come to the conclusion that my power is good, but their's is just better...right now.

For fear of losing my 3rd place spot, while I'm having these conversations with myself, I begin to ramp it up where I can. About .5 mile before hike bike I come upon cramping Jaime, I've met him before, I know he is cooked and get by him. To my surprise I find Tony bonking on the climb before hike bike. This is the catalyst that ignites my spark and I go in for the kill. As Tony is hopping off his bike to hike, I run past him. In his delirium he is like Oh, hi, sorry I got in your way. He didn't even known it was me that just snipped him. By the time it syncs in that he is no longer in 1st, I am gone.

Passing Tony and riding in 1st washes away all doubts about my training and I find the energy of 10 Grinches +2. It's amazing how one can perk up when riding for the win. At this point I have a comfortable lead going into the last downhills with only about 3 minutes left to the finish line. I heard riders coming up behind me and in a panic overcooked a turn and washed out. As fast as I went down, I got up just as quick. Some geared guys went around me and was relieved to see no sign of Tony.

Pedalling on the fire road I looked down and saw blood coming from my shin, I did some damage when I hit the deck. It didn't hurt, so I kept the hammer down and crossed the finish line, 1st place Cat 1 SS, which I was elated about.
20180512_194833.jpg

Post race Tony and I talked about what happened on the drive home. In the course of conversation he tells me he ate nothing other then breakfast that morning. No pre race food, no gels in between laps...nothing. Of course this is a recipe for a classic bonk. 1pm race starts require more attention to pre race calories and during race fueling. I had a plain bagel and Cliff bar about an hour before, this was my lunch. During the race I ate a Gu on start of lap 2 and 3, even though I wasn't hungry. This was a 2+hr race, refueling is important for a race this long.

The result of overcooking that last turn, 7 stitches.
20180512_202203.jpg

This will probably be the last time Tony makes that mistake and it will likely be the last time I can take advantage of his misfortune.

One last thing, the Mass Series did have some good numbers Saturday(350+) but SS appears to be dead. There was only 7 of us in Cat 1, with only me, Tony and Jaime doing 3 laps, the 4 other dudes didn't even finish the race...wtf. The numbers in Cat 2 SS were not great either. The fact that big bike manufactures no longer make a SS specific bike anymore is a good indication as to where SS is going. Guys like me, Monte and Tony are going to be the last of the bad ass SS generation.

Last edited:
Awesome work Iggy! I love the write up of this top 3 race, especially because you all know one another from NJ. Keep doing what you're doing, because you seem to know what you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom