MDR Parking Lots Closed

Shaggz

A strong 7
The park was supposed to be open, however power is down in the RV & Picnic areas, so all of the lots are closed. MCPC will be inventorying damage over the next couple days. If you do go into the park, please stay clear of the Picnic & RV areas until all lots ate officially opened.

Rode the WMA this afternoon . Surprisingly dry , I'd give it 97% dry , very few puddles and and of the puddles were firm under the deep water .
There were at least 4-6 new trees down blocking the trails . We cleared some of the basic brush off the trails . Otherwise I was pleasantly surprised by how good the trails were .

and yes , the gate was closed at the main lot .

The upper Rock Rill lot was open. However the road near the pond spillway is in terrible shape, and the water flowing over it makes it more dangerous.

All things considered, trails were in good shape. Lower Cascade is in ruins, Stone Gate was good, wall reroute held up surprisingly well. Huge tree down at the base of the old Wall.

Packed a handsaw with me, and cleared a lot of downfall. Took a spectacular spill Monday clearing a tree off Cascade. I still don't know how I walked away unscathed.

The upper Rock Rill lot was open. However the road near the pond spillway is in terrible shape, and the water flowing over it makes it more dangerous.

All things considered, trails were in good shape. Lower Cascade is in ruins, Stone Gate was good, wall reroute held up surprisingly well. Huge tree down at the base of the old Wall.

Packed a handsaw with me, and cleared a lot of downfall. Took a spectacular spill Monday clearing a tree off Cascade. I still don't know how I walked away unscathed.

Spectacular is an understatement...

I think there is room for a couple of cars in the pullout off of Sparta Mountain road, where the Highlands trail (Teal Diamond) exits MD and then enters the new state park carved out of St. Paul's. There is a kiosk at the pullout. This gets one access to the Pine Swamp trail (White Rectangle) which is legal for bikes.

There had to be at least 8 or more cars parked out side of the main lot yesterday morning . A least half were bikers , the other hikers .

There is no pkg allowed on Weldon Rd at any pt throughout the park (even if there are no signs). I got a ticket there a few yrs back when the picnic area pkg lot was full and I parked along the road just outside the drive way.

There is no pkg allowed on Weldon Rd at any pt throughout the park (even if there are no signs). I got a ticket there a few yrs back when the picnic area pkg lot was full and I parked along the road just outside the drive way.

I'm not so sure how true that is . People have been parking on the gravel/dirt section outside the main lot for years . We used to ride Sunday mornings an sometimes we'd get there before the gate for the lot was opened . Never got a ticket , warning or anything . We did this for at least 2 years . I've never had an issue .

I'm not so sure how true that is . People have been parking on the gravel/dirt section outside the main lot for years . We used to ride Sunday mornings an sometimes we'd get there before the gate for the lot was opened . Never got a ticket , warning or anything . We did this for at least 2 years . I've never had an issue .

Gee, maybe I was the unlucky one who got a cop with a hair up his b__t. I even went to court to fight it with pix of the area showing there were no "No Pkg" signs for a 1/2 mile in either direction of where I was ticketed. The best the prosecutor would do is suspend 1/2 the fine.:cry: He said "ignorance of the law is no excuse". I thought it was total BS.

Gee, maybe I was the unlucky one who got a cop with a hair up his b__t. I even went to court to fight it with pix of the area showing there were no "No Pkg" signs for a 1/2 mile in either direction of where I was ticketed. The best the prosecutor would do is suspend 1/2 the fine.:cry: He said "ignorance of the law is no excuse". I thought it was total BS.

Sounds like BS and a cop who needed to add a ticket to his quota.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions