Mayhem 2024 Roll Call And Recaps!

pre-reg numbers are strong! Jealous to be missing it.... My advice is the same as Jim's, gotta get that hole shot!

Just in case someone out there is reading this and not getting the humor, there are tons of places to pass. Lots of fire road connecting the single track sections. If you’re stuck behind someone, don’t pass like a dick. Call it out, or wait for a safe spot.

Looking forward to hearing race reports from this Saturday's race. It certainly was a spectacular day to be on a bike outside! So let's hear how it went for you!

Curious about race reports as well. I would have liked to have been there, but I'm in no shape to be out there on a race course yet. Maybe in another few months. July sounds good.

The weather was fantastic and it was a great day to be racing bikes in the woods.

Both endurance groups started together in one big blob so I went fairly hard at the start just to be up towards the front of the pack. I was having a really strong second lap up until I clipped a small stump and sailed off the trail and onto my face. I got back up and moving fairly quickly because I knew I had decent placement and was worried about Matt catching me, but little did I know he was having some troubles of his own. Took a little while to recompose myself and honestly figured I was out of the podium after a few people passed me while I was laying on the ground. But every position I clawed back turned out to be a 4 hour competitor, never encountered another 2.5 hour competitor after the start and wound up taking first despite a huge mistake.

The course was so-so. I'm hesitant to say anything bad about it because it's a small race co and they're doing a nice job overall. I'll just say markings could have a been a bit better, I saw many wrong/missed turns and missed a turn myself which resulted in a competitor following me and subsequently running into me as I tried to slow and course correct (my fault).

All in all, a good time and it was fun to get out and ride my bike with other people.

Forgot to mention, I hung out to watch and cheer for the other categories race. The few mud holes on course were definitely not getting any better with time and those Cat1 and Pro fields managed to put down some spectacular lap times despite the worsening conditions!

wound up taking first

Congrats!

I like the idea of a 2.5hr race. When I did the 4 hours (which is 4+ when going out for the last lap), it starts before anyone arrives, and ends after everyone has left.
Not to mention I was trying to get out of the way of the cat 1,2/pro on the last lap(s)

Had a pretty solid day overall. During the start of endurance I was in the front 3rd of the massive group and was trying to move up to ride with @Hair Face . Thought I was in a pretty solid group so I settled in to a pack instead of battling for more positions and risking crashing out.... Turned out to be a bad move (or maybe not). I guess most of the riders I settled in with were fresh off zwift, we were mind numbing slow in the singletrack.

As soon as I had a good opportunity I started moving up, and when we hit the first dirt road I started digging to catch up, knowing that an effort there would pay off being in a group for the remainder.

Luckily someone else had the same idea and he caught up to me, after he recovered a bit we started trading pulls, were making solid ground, and I could see @Hair Face again.

About 5 ish miles in we missed a sharp left that goes from dirt road to singletrack, the "first muddy section"..... Slammed on the brakes and a hard course correction turn, mashed my pedal and busted my chain 🤦. Didn't have tools to fix a chain but since it was so early in the race I decided to run the course to the finish (I thought I only had a mile based on them saying it was only 6 miles, but it ended up being almost 2 miles, and I HATE running in general)

Fixed my chain, hopped back on, and then crushed myself for another 2 hours riding alone in no-man's-land. I was passing people but had no way to tell if they were 2.5hr or 4hr Endurance because the little dot on the plate is kind of hard to see when overtaking.

Ended up with 3rd place.... So I guess "not crashing" at the beginning wasn't too bad of a decision after all. But that's not how it felt when I was running 😅

Last edited:
My race went pretty well. It was the first race of the year for most of us racing, so it’s always got the potential to be a shit show but I thought everything went pretty smooth. At least in the 1:30PM races.

They had to change the course due to some flooding, so they took out some of the good single track which was unfortunate, but nobody’s fault. The end result was a few more wide open, power sections… similar to the mayhem races from a few years ago.
When we were lining up, it was hard to tell, but there appeared to be a lot of Day Of registrations. There were 25 in my category (Cat 1 40-54), but there ended up being 30 people in the race. I knew a few faces, but the majority did not register with me.

Last year my start went like this: but ended with me going down, dropping a chain, and blowing up trying to catch up. It was miserable, so I focused on avoiding that.

IMG_0035.gif

I got lucky and chose a clear path all the way through the start and ended up in the top 10-12 going into the single track. Looking at my numbers, I didn’t even go nuts with the power. Maybe I’m finally learning how to race?

The first half of the course was unchanged from previous races so I knew the best move was to keep my place in the line. You could pass, but unless you were desperate on catching the leader ASAP, then passing was too sketchy to be worth it. Even then, it takes so much effort to make a pass just to gain 1spot which you could get when it opens up.
I settled into the second group and the pace seemed manageable.…. But every time the course opened up or we went onto a fire road, I’d glance down at my garmin and see my power was sitting at a cool 450-500 watts or so. Over and over and over again. Anytime the course opened up and there was a chance to pass, you had to lay down serious power to make it happen or avoid being passed. And no matter what you did, you just found yourself in the single track .3 seconds in front of the guy you worked so hard to pass. The result was me remaining in the same group of 4-5 guys for most of the race.

This is a really rare occurrence in MTB racing. You’re usually all alone after a half of a lap. But I was never solo, always in a group, either pushing the pace or trying to keep up. It was pretty awesome and I hope this is a sign of things to come this year. Some guys would drop off, some would catch up. Some would drop us and move up, only to be caught again. And if I didn’t mention it already, we were flying. My average speed was over 15 mph which is pretty nuts for a MTB race.

The start of the 3rd lap I ran into a little issue. I started the race with 1 bottle on my bike and 1 in the feed zone. (first bottle had 80g and second had 50g in it… in case you care) The feed zone was a small section of double track immediately after the start /finish line. There are a few cabins with wooden rails and everyone put their bottles on these rails. So when I approached the zone starting the last lap, I dropped my bottle that I started with, and cleanly grabbed my fresh bottle. No small feat when you’re doing 20 mph I might add…. I guess when I grabbed it, it struck a nail that was sticking out of the wood a little and ripped a hole in the bottom of the bottle. I noticed my feet were getting splashed and when I looked down I saw my mix spilling all over the place. I tried to put it into my rear cage upside down to save some and then drink out of the hole, but there was only a few drops left. I don’t think it made a huge difference, but it still kind of sucked.

IMG_0356.jpeg

The third lap I was yo-yo-ing off the back of the group. I had a hard time laying out the power to keep up on the straights, but I was able to catch up in the single track. When we came to the little mud sections near the end, we caught some of the 15-18 Cat 1 kids. I was the last in a group of 6 or 7 and the kid I was following went down kinda hard. Or so I thought. I made sure he was ok, and he was thankfully. He got right back up behind me and we started chasing to catch back up to the group. By the time we caught them, we were hitting the bridge which was right before the finish. I laid down what I had left, but all it did was make it look closer on the results sheet.

I ended up 11th out of 30. I was right there though. These times are pretty telling how close of a race it was. I’ll consider this race a success, and look forward to some rocks and climbing.

IMG_0357.jpeg

Here's My Recap. My fat bike wave started 2 min before my daughters. I asked the starter to delay them more, but I don't think he listened. I was off to a good start, but got caught by the first rider from my daughters groups in about half a lap; towards the start of the single-track section that passes by a bunch of backyards at one point. In my defense she is apparently some type of 6 time national champ that signed up day of last min. Shortly after though, I started to see the other faster riders from that group, including my daughter and a few of her friends. It was actually quite fun because I could yell stuff at them in the switchbacks as we would pass as they slowly reeled me in. My daughters friend from our Nica team caught me right at the one hill on the course. Then something odd happened...shortly after that hill I got nauseous. I didn't feel gassed, just nauseous. I got a little panicked, because this is something I've never experienced before. I mean, I've definitely blown myself up and I know what that feels like and this wasn't it. I contemplated stopping and calling it quits, but instead just dialed my pace way way down. Then I got passed by seemingly every body. I didn't touch my water bottle or any nutrition for the rest of the time and just sort of crept along and it very slowly faded. Never fully went away though and it ruined the rest of the race for me.

I don't race often, but raced cat 2 with my daughter 2 times last year and our times were similar. This time she came in 12 min ahead of me! To be fair, some of that is the fact that she has gotten faster and I've not been riding and have certainly fallen off, but I don't think I'm legitimately that much slower, but who knows. I've barely ben riding this year due to personal issues, so perhaps getting nauseous is just my bodies new way of rejecting the hard effort, but I'm not convinced. I think it may have been something I ate. But regardless, it was still memorable and overall a good time. And I was having a blast riding until I felt sick. Was just a bummer, I didn't even walk away feeling like I worked too hard. If nothing else, it's motivation for a "redo" at another race. I think I'll effectively use our time difference as a barometer for my performance. And really, making memories with one of my kids is nice even when it doesnt go exactly as planned.

IMG_8356_Original.jpeg

Oh, I was towards the back of my pack, but she grabbed a 5th of 15 racing up in cat2 15-18 so she did well. She had a sprint finish with two others and they were all separated by under a second! Awesome competition in that group at this race which is so nice to see, sometimes her group is a bust, but good turnout for this one 👍

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom