Mavic ksyrium for CX?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
so on friday, this happened.

IMG_7642.JPG

i'm going to do two, maybe three races. in the slow and old group. No way i'm gluing up tubulars for my needs/level/speed -

so what do i have around to play cx?

Mavic Ksyrium - four years old, have them on the road bike
Mavic Asksium - at least 4 years old - they were @walter's
Cannondale with lots of spokes - came stock on the caad8 think i put two years of riding on them

no doubt the cannondale stock wheels will work - i've never seen so many spokes.

will the Mavics survive a race at my speed, and hulk like agility on a bike?
i'm fairly sure the TCX had a radial laced front wheel (@StayHydrated ??) where i see 2(?)-lace on the this wheelset.
since this will beat the hell out of the brake track, does it make more sense to go with the less expensive set (aksium)?

other ideas where i don't spend a ton of $$?

Last edited:
Use whatever is the absolute cheapest set you have. I doubt you'll screw them up but why waste screwing up a set of wheels when you're hardly doing any races and not trying to be TOO competitive.

If it was me, I'd use whatever was the most convenient, IE laying around not attached to another bike.

1) SICK PAT YES what the first race?!?

2) I'll check the TCX wheel tomorrow; I'm upstairs and lazy and delayed-onset muscle soreness.

3) I'm running Ksyriums as my primary wheel on the TCX now and so far so good. @M3Tim has them on his Fort and both he and I have raced that bike for CX. I don't think he has any complaints about them either.

It's 'cross, run whatcha brung and take some handups.

1) SICK PAT YES what the first race?!?

2) I'll check the TCX wheel tomorrow; I'm upstairs and lazy and delayed-onset muscle soreness.

3) I'm running Ksyriums as my primary wheel on the TCX now and so far so good. @M3Tim has them on his Fort and both he and I have raced that bike for CX. I don't think he has any complaints about them either.

It's 'cross, run whatcha brung and take some handups.

signed up for hippo, and will probably add in marty's. then either apple, sussex, or bubble. 4/5 40+

this is the kind of logic i use when drafting a fantasy team. ps - had crabtree on the bench in my other league.

Ouch!

Odds are you will dent the wheels, so I'd rather dent the caad8 wheels. You aren't going to have a major advantage to running them Mavics

Odds are you will dent the wheels

Even when you're really really good at this, you will break wheels:
Dan Larino pitted at Supercross (when it was at Westwood). Hit a root hard enuf to crack his rear Zipp 303. Send him off on the B bike, run to Eric Paulson to swap the rear, which is effed enuf that it barely turns. Must have taken massive watts just to get back to the pits. Insta-change, head back to the line-up... Not. Bike barely moves. Turn to Eric with my WTF? face on. Eyeballs all over the rear wheel. Solid.
Hmm. Oh, hey, what's with the... Front wheel was cracked as well. Prolly the same root. We swapped the front, and I tried to hide the bike from Dan when he came by for the bell, so as not to make him sad.
One PAIR of 303 tubies on one lap. Dan is good at this. We aren't.
Dent the CAADs.

I'll trade you those carbon tubulars for a pair of carbon clinchers. Same level of shitiness.

ooh - now we are talking. those are REV-50x - but you already knew that.
you got some rubber for those clinchers?

Swap with Jim but don't run the carbon clinchers in CX races. You'll destroy them. Use the CAAD8 wheels in races. Use the carbon clinchers for 6MR/Columbia Trail/when you sell the bike in December after you hate CX.

so the caad8 wheels weigh 2+ lbs more than the ksyriums - i'm not sure i can do it to the bike. The Aksiums weigh about 1lb more.
Rule #4......

And Rule #8
IMG_7670.JPG

who takes an NDS picture? Amateur.
IMG_7671.JPG

too many spokes
IMG_7672.JPG

Last edited:
so the caad8 wheels weigh 2+ lbs more than the ksyriums - i'm not sure i can do it to the bike. The Aksiums weigh about 1lb more.
Rule #4......

And Rule #8
View attachment 57504
who takes an NDS picture? Amateur.
View attachment 57502
too many spokes
View attachment 57503
Before you continue to analyze wheels weights and such you should probably address the grandpa cockpit setup. Considering you have this as the 20 something, slammed and extended for the flexible AF set up:

img_7085-jpg.55205

Would split the difference as the road bike is obviously not fit correctly. If you need to slant saddle down the bars are too low.

Back
Top Bottom