Massage Therapy by JUAN - Benefits of MASSAGE

Massage: Get in touch with its many health benefits

A soothing massage can help you unwind, but that's not all. Explore the possible health benefits and risks of massage therapy, plus what to expect.
By Mayo Clinic staff
Massage is no longer available only through luxury spas and upscale health clubs. Today, massage therapy is offered in businesses, clinics, hospitals and even airports. If you've never tried massage, learn about the possible health benefits of massage and what to expect during a massage therapy session.

What is massage?

Massage is a general term for pressing, rubbing and manipulating your skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Massage therapists typically use their hands and fingers for massage but may also use their forearms, elbows and even feet. Massage may range from light stroking to deep pressure techniques.

There are many different types of massage, including these common types:
Swedish massage. This is a gentle form of massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping to help relax and energize you.
Deep-tissue massage. This massage technique uses slower, more forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue, commonly to help with muscle damage from injuries.
Sports massage. This is similar to Swedish massage but is geared toward people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
Trigger point massage. This massage focuses on trigger points, or sensitive areas of tight muscle fibers that can form in your muscles after injuries or overuse.

Benefits of massage

Massage is generally considered part of complementary and alternative medicine. It's increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations.

While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage helpful for:
Stress relief
Managing anxiety and depression
Pain
Stiffness
Blood pressure control
Infant growth
Sports-related injuries
Boosting immunity
Cancer treatment

Beyond the benefits for specific conditions or diseases, some people enjoy massage because it often involves caring, comfort, a sense of empowerment and creating deep connections with their massage therapist.

Despite its benefits, massage isn't meant as a replacement for regular medical care. Let your doctor know you're trying massage and be sure to follow any standard treatment plans you have.

Risks of massage

Massage is generally safe as long as it's done by a trained massage therapist. But massage isn't appropriate for everyone. Discuss massage with your doctor first in cases of:
Unexplained pain or other symptoms
Burns or open wounds
Cancer
Blood clots
Fractures
Rheumatoid arthritis
Severe osteoporosis
Pregnancy

Some forms of massage can leave you feeling a bit sore the next day. But massage shouldn't be painful or uncomfortable. If any part of your massage doesn't feel right or is painful, speak up right away. Most serious problems come from too much pressure during massage.

In rare circumstances, massage can cause:
Internal bleeding
Nerve damage
Temporary paralysis
Allergic reactions to massage oils or lotions

( http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/massage/SA00082 )

Please feel free to contact me for a appointment at MTbyJUAN@yahoo.com/201-655-4200

I have to agree here... I have done Heller work with JDog's aunt in the past and it works wonders... I have been doing some Rolfing sessions every two months or so for a year now with a lady I hooked up with moons ago... Massages are great:D\

Have to be clear here so I'm editting... Not hooked up in the sense that we had each other:D

Last edited:
It amazes me how much most athletes are willing to punish the body. But not treat it to a reward. Like massage, rest, sleep, hydration. So it can perform to its best ability. We must all become educated concerning recovery and all of its options. It will add longevity to our life.

We must all become educated concerning recovery and all of its options. It will add longevity to our life.

Jaun, you hit on a very very very big topic here with this statement... Starting a "Recovery" thread has crossed my mind more than once... Just to fish out some ideas... Truth be told good recovery habits are the pros secret weapon

You hit the target right on!!!
The big SECRET.....
The sercret isn't hard training. Why??? Because anyone can train hard. The true weapon is RECOVERY....

I can help with the TREAD... Let me gather some real juicy material. Then we will open the TREAD

PS; Besides my massage license, I will also be a level-3 USA Cylcing Coach very soon. And RECOVERY will be my specialty

Last edited:
i dig!

Start that thread!I ve been meaning to purchase a foam roller the past couple days and will pull the trigger soon. I would agree that most pro cyclists can train hard, but skimp out in terms of the recovery process. id love to see some of the ideas on that thread.

You can get pregnant from a massage? Holy crap! :)

ok.......

Massage is generally safe as long as it's done by a trained massage therapist. But massage isn't appropriate for everyone. Discuss massage with your doctor first in cases of:

Meaning people with the below pathologies or pregnancy...

Unexplained pain or other symptoms
Burns or open wounds
Cancer
Blood clots
Fractures
Rheumatoid arthritis
Severe osteoporosis
Pregnancy

It says "Discuss massage with your doctor first in cases of:"

I have been getting Rolfed and having massage therapy for about 5 weeks. I seemed to have the bottom fall out on me phyisically about 8 weeks ago. Got every test possible from the doctor and they said I was fine. Everything hurt though. My wife has been going (for massage) for almosy a year - she trains in MMA 12-20 hrs /wk and thought it may help me. I feel like I am almost back to normal. My knees feel better, my back feels better and my asthma has improved.

Unfortunately for Juan the next time he sees me he likely will not be passing me (like he did in the B&B#1) since I have been receiving the benefits massage therapy.

Unfortunately for Juan the next time he sees me he likely will not be passing me (like he did in the B&B#1) since I have been receiving the benefits massage therapy.[/QUOTE]

I love it!!! :D

Lets get it on!!!;)

Lol...I know I read it fast and it appeared that way to me. I know what he was trying to convey. :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom