Losing a summer and tossing out a fall.

Do you normally get checked though? I would be worried about a re-occurrence coming out of nowhere.

Not really because when I had relapses, I felt it coming before the blood work would actually show anything. So when I got into the hospital they would do tests and be like everything looks fine. Then a week later they're like, you were right.

To my understanding the CPK level is based on some enzyme your muscle releases when your muscles get sore (i.e. did a lot of exercise). So it's normal to be elevated somewhat after a workout. But you don't want it to be 1000x the normal count. In my case my muscles would get sore and not recover, so if I feel soreness (increasing) continuous for 3-4 days, I know I'm in trouble.

I've also made up my mind that I'm free of it and the disease will not come back. Whether it will or not, I guess no one really knows. It's sort of a spiritual thing. Kind of like not believing in medicine, etc.. but not as extreme refusing as treatment.

One other note I should make is that my mom had cancer a while ago and was cured/remission or whatever you want to call it. Some years back she had some gastro issues which landed her in the emergency room and surgery to cut out half of her intestines. After seeing some spots on the CAT scan the doctors at the hospital told her that her cancer had come back and gave her 1 month. We talked to a family doctor friend and she was like the spots can mean anything .. doctors get things wrong ALL THE TIME. So we took her to Sloan and they were like nope she doesn't have cancer. It actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the surgeon at Sloan found a few things that the ER doctors had missed in a rush effort to save her life. So her quality of life got significantly better after they fixed these things.

Last edited:
Not sure if you knew I have been vegetarian for 22 years or not. Not that it matters, just a cowinky dink.
I am aware of the genetic testing and have seen the difference of how many more they have found in the last 7 years. Once they change the laws to allow them to keep you blood and rerun it every few years (instead of pulling blood each time they need to run it) it will really explode.

Drugs have their place, just not as much of a place the drug companies sells us. Maybe @rick81721 can comment now that he doesn't have to work for a drug company anymore.

I didn't work for a drug company - consumer products of which some are considered OTC drugs. IMO drug companies don't prescribe drugs, doctors do. Find a competent one that you trust and take his/her advice. In my experience, doctors will tell you to make lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc) before resorting to drugs. And with your family history of heart disease, I wouldn't rely on diet and exercise alone as a safety factor - genetics plays a large part.

HippoCross RACE RECAP!

TLDR:
-I stayed upright and was in no danger of falling at any point.
-I stayed upright and went slow and was really really sucky
-Way happier with Town Hall as that race I at least feel like I raced 4/5 of a race unlike this one.

For whatever reason they didn't do call-ups based on registration, they just told the whole group to move forward. This hardly made any sense both for the 40+ that went off before me nor the Cat5 I was in. Their quick excuse was first race of the year. I didn't really care too much but both me and @StayHydrated were completely confused as we were expecting on being in the front row. My other concern was starting off shivering. Damn low body temperature.

I started 3/4ish of the way back in a huge mess. The start was not a typical properly lined up race like I'm used to. After the whistle it was a big tight group and being that I want to do whatever I can not to crash I more or less let the group move around me. Which within 30 seconds I realized I was 2nd to last! Ok, Mistake #1. There wasn't a big bottleneck or crash which I found really surprising in this race. Town Hall last week which was much drier had much more of a messy start.

The good thing with being pretty much last is it's slightly moralizing to pass a ton of people. The course was not super muddy but muddy and tight enough that there weren't a lot of clean opportunities to pass people. At town hall it was dry and wide so I was able to pass people with their horrible line choices. Today not so much. I kept the pace low, only a few sections of straight where I could power anyway, all turns were slipper and was taking it easy. At some point I passed @StayHydrated because he slipped out due to having tires from 2004 on his bike with no tread. Past a few other people I know. I was way behind but slowly creeping up. Had a few people pass me that I would re-pass, I don't think I lost any real spots.

Eventually the the 40+ leaders passes, along with @MadisonDan and Harry who were flying. Dan got 3rd which is completely awesome. I stayed on his tail after he passed me until he really started digging through traffic. That was specifically what I was trying not to do in this race and where I can see myself going overboard and landing on the ground so I let him go.

I realized around then I was just way too far behind and the race seemed way too short. Got lapped but I don't believe by any Cat5 people. Course was super short unlike Town Hall, completely didn't know how to pace for it and started off way too far back. Went and road a lap after the race, I don't think I even really broke much of a sweat. :( At least it was a good practice, just didn't feel like much of a race. Mission accomplished with not crashing, should have pushed it a bit more. Hung out with @StayHydrated and his posse for a bit, I think he was pretty happy after his first race of the year. Considering he had road tires on he killed it even if those top notch USAC officials just decided not to score him. (They were too busy arguing about the gap in the barriers...)

After the race I went to the massage therapist there, she went to town on my shoulder and that was awesome. I didn't realize how much I needed PT on the shoulder, glad I went as I need to pay more attention to that.

TOMORROW - CAFFEINATED CROSS - But not for me... I screwed up and didn't register, plus I logistically need to pee in a 1 gallon bottle for some weird drug test my doctor gave me to see how much calcium I dispose of in a normal day and since I'm flying out to Iowa this week so I don't have another day I can realistically do that. Leaving the house at 5:30am and driving 2 hours to a race isn't the worst thing to skip out on. I can actually enjoy riding my bike tomorrow close by.

This week - No biking. I fly to Iowa for work which completely sucks. I'd normally take my travel bike but realistically I only have Tuesday/Wednesday to ride under ideal conditions. Not worth taking the bike as biking in that section of Iowa mostly sucks. Kind of annoying as I got no riding in since last Sunday up until today. (I don't count the 1 mile of cross practice)

After that - Jungle Jam - Goal is to stay upright and have fun.

Oct 15/16 - There's the MTBNJ 6 Mile ride and also Emmaus CX and West Chester CX. 6 Mile I'd like to do but the ride itself last year was...slow. I like the social aspect but part of me wants to ride. Up in the air.

Oct 23rd - Marty Cross - I'll probably have to do this. That's not a course I really like.

Oct 29/30 - HPCX/Mountain Man. Joy just informed me Mountain Man is now on the 29th, I was going to register for HPCX that day. Now I don't know what to do.

Nov 5/6 - Bubble Cross. Registered. Best course ever.

Nov 13 - SCCX? Will I be interested by then? Will I care to wake up early in the dark and ride my bike in the cold?

Dec 10 - Solstice Cross. See SCCX above.

Shoutouts to:
@MadisonDan for kicking ass in his class. I was quite happy when he passed me.
@MissJR for dragging my pit bike around, holding spare clothes, looking all over for me while I'm out riding after my race and talking to Tim.
@StayHydrated for riding a cross bike with road tires on a muddy course and bringing handouts to this race and making it fun no matter how much USAC officials try to stop that.
@Dominos who will hopefully lend @MissJR a bike to ride at cross races.

Hell yeah! Way to stay upright - I definitely didn't. Loved that, as I'm laying in the mud trying to detach myself from the bike, you ride around my wreckage telling me I fell on the wrong side (drive side, party foul). Regardless of time spent on floor and placement, it was a blast. That Fig Newton was a little dry, though....

I stood in that officials tent for about 20 minutes - if that's what hell is like, I promise to be a good boy, really. Not like it mattered anyway, since I'm going to get a million and a half points on CrossResults.

Was great seeing you and @MissJR , having you hang with the posse for a little while after the race, and getting to yell at @MadisonDan to "$&#%^*@ get him" as he and the guy in front of him lapped me; looking forward to lining up with you at Marty Cross!

Bump 4 Update? The people want to know what's crackalackin!

Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V some race recaps for MartyCX/Mountain Man/Bubble? Did you wind up doing SCCX? Will you wind up doing Supercross?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.

I think I updated on the races elsewhere.

Marty CX - My-body-does-not-like-hills. Besides that I just don't like that course. It's a weird one for me, I don't know how to properly ride a course like that in the least bit. There's a lot of speed to gain going into a lot of the turns but I just don't know the *fast* way through them. My first race of the year at Town Hall seemed similar but was so different. Since that course was flatter and less rooty (minus the death hills) I felt really great on the corners. At MartyCross I just didn't know how to carry that much speed through them whatsoever. The right hand sweeper that took out lots of people was semi-comfortable actually but I'm not going at Elite speeds.

MountainMan - I love and hate this race. It's a duathalon, Run/Bike/Run. It's a great race format but it gets absolutely no promotion whatsoever. With the smaller and smaller numbers the race becomes less interesting. This year for my second run portion I was by myself for the last mile which gave me no motivation to keep up a high pace. It's the same problem I can run into in a cross race. I'd be fine being last place in the race as long as the guy second to last is in front of me and I could chase him.

I did screw up on my bike ride. Run was no issue, do my one lap of of Lewis Morris, come into the transition area and grab my running shoes for the third leg. The timing officials keep asking me if I'm done with the bike leg and then they finally ask me if I did two laps. Oh crap. Even though I've done this race like 4-5 times I completely was not paying attention to the fact that it's two laps. Threw on my bike shoes and headed back out and passed the two people that passed while I was in the transition. Overall I didn't really do that great but my fitness is way off.

Oh, and that downhill switchback at LewMo can suck a big fat one. I think it gets more annoying each time I ride it.

Bubble -

Day 1 - Slow as Heck as Cat 5, super slow on the singlespeed race after that. I definitely pushed a bit harder in the singlespeed race (heart rate after the fact) but felt way more comfortable on that bike than my cross bike. That course definitely favors some bigger tires. @1sh0t1b33r beat me in the first race, I was able to pass him on the second purely because he can't do barriers for shit and it was all technical after the barriers.

Day 2 - Somehow both me and the guy I passed right before the finish thought the race was over and we stopped and chatted. Turns out race wasn't over. Was a crazy combination of my garmin shutting off and not having track of the race time/laps, the race ran 1 lap longer than it should, and I super announcer @seanrunnette was calling in people's places as they went through the finish line and we both thought he was calling them out as finishing the race, not the place on their last lap. I can't complain, I killed that last lap and passed most of the people that passed me. I wasn't going to win anyway as that day had some fast people show up. Half the field were @lap which I thought was pretty crazy.

I can't say which direction I prefer. Day #1 was way more complicated/technical.

SCCX - There were 3 races within short driving distance this weekend. I looked at SCCX and saw hardly anyone registered so meh. I looked at one of the others and it seemed meh. I didn't even look at Sly Fox and if I did, maybe I would have gone as I didn't know it was the hot race. Instead I went mountain biking at Stewart and enjoyed that. The one problem with Cross is people losing interest and it's something we all talk about. For me it's not necessarily that I'm burnt out but there's other things I would like to do. Last weekend was a double and I just wanted a break from that, this weekend I hiked some of the Appalachian trail on Saturday and Stewart on Sunday. It's nice to do other things I love.

That being said, I'm probably 80% on SuperCross. I'm not super excited but considering it's a big race, my opportunities to do them are dwindling so I should get it while I can. I may do Westwood Velo. Even if that race sucks I can go biking at Wawawanda or Jungle afterwards so @MissJR enjoys it. Solstice CX or Limestone are also big possibilities. I'll probably pick one or both of those depending on whichever seems the most fun.

My fitness is super down this year. It's obviously my body took a beating. Hormone issues have definitely screwed me up and hoping to get that resolved this winter, at least some of the health issues may be under control. I could complain but I'm pretty happy and grateful.

-Steve

I could complain but I'm pretty happy and grateful.
You managed to have (and continue to have) a helluva fall season. Keep on just enjoying being outside and get healthy over the winter. Maybe next year I'll be a little closer to keeping up with you and/or give you a run for your money... :)

Either way, really glad to hear some things are starting to get under control. What's the status on the hardware - staying in, coming out?

You managed to have (and continue to have) a helluva fall season. Keep on just enjoying being outside and get healthy over the winter. Maybe next year I'll be a little closer to keeping up with you and/or give you a run for your money... :)

Either way, really glad to hear some things are starting to get under control. What's the status on the hardware - staying in, coming out?

If you asked me last week I would have said staying in. After hiking for 2+ hours on Saturday with a backpack with little more than a few jackets it felt pretty meh. The inside near the neck has been feeling weird the last few weeks but the backpack was definitely uncomfortable. Surgeon said it can be removed after 1 year, but he doesn't recommend removing it. He was also 300lbs and had no bedside manner or understanding of anyone who does any physical activity. He's great at patching people up but not much afterwards. My concern with removing it (besides cost) is the danger of surgery which is real. Plus the healing process would actually be WAY worse than what I had this summer. I had the benefit of a clavicle in 5 pieces but the hardware keeping it together. Taking that plate and 11 screws out is basically like having a broken collarbone, I won't be able to move the arm much at all for awhile and can't do ANY load bearing while it initially heals. So therefore I would be looking at next winter.

It'd be awesome if I could just get the hardware removed and Lasik all in one shot. I haven't done any real physical therapy outside of mobility, it's actually on my calendar for tomorrow to call my physical therapist as I've got a knee issue where my kneecap isn't tracking right when I squat...

My concern with removing it (besides cost) is the danger of surgery which is real.
All surgery is major surgery, unfortunately. This is probably the main thing preventing me from encouraging you to get it out. If you time it right (after next year's cross season and/or in conjunction with LASIK) then maybe recovery would be...slightly?...more bearable. Either way, still a tough call to make.

Side note: MTBNJ needs its own medical team.

So, I guess I'll end this thread as cross season is officially over for me. Bike is already torn down for cleaning and I can move onto other fun things in life for a bit until June when @MadisonDan starts up Thursday cross practice. Or was it May?

Results/Season: I went from bad to worse but I wasn't expecting too much. As mentioned earlier in this thread my biggest goal was lack of injury.

Last few races I've been completely demolished.

-Westwood Velo I felt pretty slow and was taking it easier than I needed to through the woods sections. Still need to work on pacing, first 1/2 of the race I wasn't pushing as hard as I could have.
-Solstice Cross - I had a really hard time handling my bike on this course. Ground was frozen then started to soften up as the race started. Two really quick super minor slide outs, watched a million other people fly through tape, crash, etc. My complaint is I had trouble finding spots to put down power, not something I'd normally say. Easily could say this was my worst race of the year. Until this point...
-Limestone - My comment about trouble finding power at Solstice was my curse. I was completely dead. I was DFL from about 1 minute into the race. I was battling it out with the other last place guy for a short bit and then I just had nothing. Grass sections felt like I was grabbing my brakes. There were sections in the woods I would normally power through that I ended up running. I don't know if it was being tired and the early start, racing the day before, just plain sucking or what.

Limestone had a super small field, nobody there was new. But I don't think that was the real reason I sucked so bad. I pushed myself at that race more than any other this year and just had nothing.

Now it's time to start riding the fat bike in the snow, mountain bike on nicer days and enjoy riding for the next few months. Assuming no catastrophes and I can get health issues under control I'd like to go full steam ahead into next season.

Steve, in my experience it is so hard continuing to push yourself when you feel like you are sucking ass (even if you aren't really sucking ass). Nov/Dec racing brings out the toughest conditions and the best racers. Congrats on a solid season of racing and hope to see you (and @MissJR) out there racing in September

So, I guess I'll end this thread as cross season is officially over for me. Bike is already torn down for cleaning and I can move onto other fun things in life for a bit until June when @MadisonDan starts up Thursday cross practice. Or was it May?

Results/Season: I went from bad to worse but I wasn't expecting too much. As mentioned earlier in this thread my biggest goal was lack of injury.

Last few races I've been completely demolished.

-Westwood Velo I felt pretty slow and was taking it easier than I needed to through the woods sections. Still need to work on pacing, first 1/2 of the race I wasn't pushing as hard as I could have.
-Solstice Cross - I had a really hard time handling my bike on this course. Ground was frozen then started to soften up as the race started. Two really quick super minor slide outs, watched a million other people fly through tape, crash, etc. My complaint is I had trouble finding spots to put down power, not something I'd normally say. Easily could say this was my worst race of the year. Until this point...
-Limestone - My comment about trouble finding power at Solstice was my curse. I was completely dead. I was DFL from about 1 minute into the race. I was battling it out with the other last place guy for a short bit and then I just had nothing. Grass sections felt like I was grabbing my brakes. There were sections in the woods I would normally power through that I ended up running. I don't know if it was being tired and the early start, racing the day before, just plain sucking or what.

Limestone had a super small field, nobody there was new. But I don't think that was the real reason I sucked so bad. I pushed myself at that race more than any other this year and just had nothing.

Now it's time to start riding the fat bike in the snow, mountain bike on nicer days and enjoy riding for the next few months. Assuming no catastrophes and I can get health issues under control I'd like to go full steam ahead into next season.
May??.
Did you hit your head?
How'd you like that hill at Limestone???.?

I honestly don't mind hills like that. Don't get me wrong, it was a bitch. In a normal race where there's people around me I usually have those to my advantage and will pass people. That didn't happen yesterday. My legs were on fire on that hill. What made it worse was I was in my winter boots with no real flex.

I need to get back into running on a regular basis. Outside of the Wednesday cross-country 5k race series I do during the summer my running has been basically nil this year. I hate running on pavement by myself and if I go into the woods biking>running. All the running groups near me are meh. Old people, quirky people, etc.

The only purpose my cross bike shall serve in May is taking me to go buy coffee.

time for another update!

I thought since cross season is over, a new thread would make more sense? I actually was going to start a new thread, but for now life is boring. It's winter. Nights during the week on the trainer, weekends trying to get outside on the bike as much as possible. Using TrainerRoad with Netflix/Amazon as it makes it mindboggling easy to just fit it in. The only running I've done this whole year was last night from Times Square down to Penn Station to catch a train (just barely). I really need to fit running in more.

I actually started the year with the goal of 365 Hours on the bike and 365 Miles running. I think the hours on the bike is quite likely, running...not so much.

Each weekend I've been able to hit up a bunch of different parks, the weather has been great. With my shitty 38lb fatbike I don't even mind when it snows as I can just plod around Morristown on that bike and it's a whole new experience but in the last month I've been out on skinnier tires in the woods.

Making an effort to do daily yoga. Which by the numbers is every-other-day-yoga which is still better than nothing.

Jay from Halters lent me a 27+ Tallboy that I demo'd for way too long and ordered a new 29" Tallboy from him. Picked it up Saturday and have 25 minutes so far of riding on it. With not riding in the dark and the upcoming blizzard I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it in the near future. Until I go to Sedona in a few weeks with @jmanic @gtluke @Mitch !!!

CURRENT SCHEDULE
-Short Track #1 - Most likely. @MissJR is signed up, so I'm sure I will too.
-Sedona - A week or so of fun biking in the mountains. I feel I should go do some ultra hippie yoga class on a vortex so that I can get super angry at Sedona hippies.
-Hell of Hunterdon - One of the three times this year I'll use my road bike
-Monkey Knife Fight - Second time this year I'll use my road bike.
-Singlespeed appalooza - Was a good time last year, not riding to win but will kick it up a notch this year.
-Touring of the Heifers - Going up to Vermont for the weekend festival with @MissJR and my Boston friend I do bike tours with. On the Sunday there's a 65 mile road/gravel ride. I'm probably taking the touring bike to be comfy and slow myself down so it's a more even ride. Road bike can gather dust on this one.
-Stewart 45 - Volunteering I'm sure as usual with one lap at some point.
-Gran Fondo NJ - I live in Morristown so I just hop on this every year for some distance. I may shoot for the 65 miles ride and then put the road bike away until the next year. @MissJR used to run couch-to-breve classes during the summer getting women who never road before to get ready for the 18mile distance. So between going and taking pictures of all of them and the Bike & Walk Morristown people riding I tend to have people to socialize with.
-Cross Season! Lots of racing in a short time and then burnout! Looking forward to @MadisonDan doing the Thursday night practices. I think he wanted to start them in July. Or was it April?

Mixed in the above I'm 95% sure I'll do the cross country 5k series I do at Greystone every year during the summer. Even if I don't run at any other time at least every Wednesday night I'm committed to a 5k race.

I like to put a few things on my calendar so that I have things to look forward to. There's no way I'd normally go for a long road ride at this time of year if it wasn't for HOH or MKF. The costs are kind of dumb for some of these events but that's why I have a job. I'd rather spend the money on these fun events than stupid shit. People complain about the costs of these events, and I understand that entirely but I can't imagine what has a better payback than a fun ride with fun people. That being said, that VT ride has a crazy farm-to-table lunch, is 65 miles and was I think $25?

I've still got basically no itch to do XC mountain bike racing. I may however sign up for a few events that pop up. @sarcaro has been awesome in getting me out on fun weekend rides and she will probably suck me into some dumb longer races. Not Cathedral Pines however because I don't do Long Island.

I didn't think I was going to type this much. Nor realize how much I have planned. And I almost forgot, I have a weekend (probably before SSaP) because I owe Joy a mountain biking weekend in Virginia as she's skipping a race down there so I can do SSaP.

I actually started the year with the goal of 365 Hours on the bike and 365 Miles running.
This is hard! I had a goal of 4,000 miles road riding and 200 running last year which is similar to your goal. I was close but missed both. I like your hours on a bike over miles though, counting miles on a trainer is quite meaningless.

365 miles running in a year means over 7 miles a week, every week. It most likely means 2 runs per week which takes a concerted effort. Good luck!

Yeah I've pretty much given up on the running goal. I just don't have the interest to go out running when I have other things to do. I actually thought exactly that, it's two 3.5 mile runs which is probably my average of runs. When running with my running groups in Morristown on Saturdays I would do 5-10 miles depending. But then I realized I kind of hate running on pavement and if I go to the trails I just take a bike.

I never count miles on the trainer, I just don't understand that thinking. I've been borrowing a smart trainer and all my rides have been 36x?? so I'm sure my miles are super low compared to if I put it in the 50 ring. Considering Time/TSS/IF there's much better metrics to use. And using TR, I don't even have to think about it much. Just pedal.

That being said, I really should give my smart trainer back to my friend I've been borrowing it from. I think it's been 7 months...

New ones are so damn expensive but I can't imagine going back to my Fluid2.

Back
Top Bottom