Let's see your EMTBs!

This is not my bike but I rented it for Bootleg Canyon today. It's a Levo:

UPpjqns.jpg

I think that's a big decision to make. From what I have seen in reviews is that the midrange bikes feel and handle more like a regular mtb bike while the full power bikes have a completely different feel and need more adjustments in your riding style.

Maybe. I'd agree with Matty to go big. I flip between a road bike and a MTB and it's NBD. Flipping from a MTB to a big eMTB is probably less of a transition. It's different, for sure. But it's bikes and if you were to ride the eBike exclusively I would say 2 weeks you'd be fully converted.

Just on my ride today I was far more confident at mile 25 than mile 5. Within a single ride I was already adapting to it.

I know, old dog, new tricks. Not sure there's an e-SS yet?

I just don't know if I want to ride eMtb exclusively? I talk about the fun I had on them, especially at Mooch and Hartshorne, but I also love the pushing myself. So Mid SL ebikes may be good for a start? You may be 100% right Norm on getting used to it but it's still a mind game with me. I have to get one for medical reasons if I want to ride The technical climbing parks, they just push my heart past where my cardiologist says I should be going but I feel now in my head i just need a midrange to do that?. But I guess this should be another thread then here.
Hers my next bike.

I just don't know if I want to ride eMtb exclusively? I talk about the fun I had on them, especially at Mooch and Hartshorne, but I also love the pushing myself. So Mid SL ebikes may be good for a start? You may be 100% right Norm on getting used to it but it's still a mind game with me. I have to get one for medical reasons if I want to ride The technical climbing parks, they just push my heart past where my cardiologist says I should be going but I feel now in my head i just need a midrange to do that?. But I guess this should be another thread then here.
Hers my next bike.

As soon as they release the mtb version I’m getting one so I can finally build my fitness! Thanks for sharing.

Hers my next bike.

So it sounds like the new gen Rise is your bike. With it's new ep801rs motor you can switch between 60nm or 85nm for the techy climb parks. But I'd also say they make all ebikes with an eco mode so you can feel the pain of a 50# bike or even better yet turn it off 🤣

Hers my next bike.

You might want to take out this moterra sl demo. It fits between sl and full power.
IMG_6911.jpeg

So it sounds like the new gen Rise is your bike. With it's new ep801rs motor you can switch between 60nm or 85nm for the techy climb parks. But I'd also say they make all ebikes with an eco mode so you can feel the pain of a 50# bike or even better yet turn it off 🤣
I can’t believe people ride in trail or boost most of the time. I used to ride with the motor off on any flat sections, but now it’s just eco all the time and trail for steep climbs.

I can’t believe people ride in trail or boost most of the time. I used to ride with the motor off on any flat sections, but now it’s just eco all the time and trail for steep climbs.
Why have a bike that goes to 11 without ever turning up the volume?

My actual power output and HR is the highest when I'm in Turbo. Probably because I am chasing the motor. Pushing hard in Eco makes me feel like I'm working hard, but it also feels like I'm trying to push the bike faster than it feels like going. I guess I just choose the fun over fitness on these bikes. With compromised lung capacity it's fun to be able to ride at speeds I used to do when I raced, many years ago. Without the motor, I'd just be rolling around 6MR instead of going up the steepest climbs around.

I ride mostly
Why have a bike that goes to 11 without ever turning up the volume?

My actual power output and HR is the highest when I'm in Turbo. Probably because I am chasing the motor. Pushing hard in Eco makes me feel like I'm working hard, but it also feels like I'm trying to push the bike faster than it feels like going. I guess I just choose the fun over fitness on these bikes. With compromised lung capacity it's fun to be able to ride at speeds I used to do when I raced, many years ago. Without the motor, I'd just be rolling around 6MR instead of going up the steepest climbs around.
agreed. 👍 have HR and power data to show that some of my hardest efforts this year are in e-mtb with Johnny G chasing me through the woods

I only ride mine flat out in boost mode....I mean unless there is some tricky technical bit where im trying to avoid spinning the rear tire. I want to be going as fast as it can go 100% of the time....like mid or low power to me makes no sense...Stephens is a great example.....I find a good part of the park to be just miles....trails that take you to a few entertaining downhills. But on the ebike in boost mode...ok now im out of the saddle pushing every turn...uphill and downhill.

Hers my next bike.

I agree with that...I wouldnt want to ride one exclusively....but I really have a blast on mine once a week or so. After having mine for a few months now....for me I find its like a totally different thing....Like there are are bike rides and ebike rides.....I find both CAN be a great workout....but a different workout. If I go ride Fugawe, my legs and lungs are wiped after....blasting the ebike full speed at SSP for 2 hours....my whole body is tired

I only ride mine flat out in boost mode....I mean unless there is some tricky technical bit where im trying to avoid spinning the rear tire. I want to be going as fast as it can go 100% of the time....like mid or low power to me makes no sense...Stephens is a great example.....I find a good part of the park to be just miles....trails that take you to a few entertaining downhills. But on the ebike in boost mode...ok now im out of the saddle pushing every turn...uphill and downhill.

I agree with that...I wouldnt want to ride one exclusively....but I really have a blast on mine once a week or so. After having mine for a few months now....for me I find its like a totally different thing....Like there are are bike rides and ebike rides.....I find both CAN be a great workout....but a different workout. If I go ride Fugawe, my legs and lungs are wiped after....blasting the ebike full speed at SSP for 2 hours....my whole body is tired
I feel like the ebike is kind of a hybrid between trail riding and a downhill park. I don't go to downhill parks quite as often now because I get that speed fix from the ebike.

Gradual uphills are when I would lower my heart rate on an acoustic bike but on the ebike I can hit jumps and do trail features if I push myself hard enough.

Hers my next bike.

I don't think it works that way. You will always be faster than any acoustic bike and have to slow down. And you will never keep up with full power bikes, no matter how hard you push.

Just push hard on the full power.
And listen to Matt...

I don't think it works that way. You will always be faster than any acoustic bike and have to slow down. And you will never keep up with full power bikes, no matter how hard you push.

And listen to Matt...
That is why my friend ended up with two of them - a low power, lightweight bike (Trek) she rides mainly when the rest of the group is on acoustic bikes, and a full-power, heavy AF bike (Heckler) she rides when the majority of others are also on e-bikes. She bought the full-power bike first, but other than the power doesn't really like it - it's too effing heavy. She is not exactly a weak person (former east coast body building champion). Once in a blue moon, she'll dust off one of her acoustic bikes, but after an early life of sports-ball her knees are destroyed, hence the e-bike.

I tend to agree about being faster. During the one ride I did on the Levo SL, I tested what the bike could do on one of the longer climbs at Nesh with my friend Tom following. Normally, he is much faster/stronger than I am and can drop me at will. But on the e-bike in Turbo mode, I was able to rocket up the climb and I was waiting for him at the top. But in trail mode, I probably could have maintained a similar pace to him, but without working as hard as I usually am.

And listen to Matt...

It’s surprisingly easy to overpower an SL bike and have no assist advantage. Especially where you want the assist most, steep climbs. Unless you’re riding alone in a primarily flat area, always go full power. At least until the 4th Gen bikes drop, then an SL will have enough juice to be a contender.

It’s surprisingly easy to overpower an SL bike and have no assist advantage. Especially where you want the assist most, steep climbs. Unless you’re riding alone in a primarily flat area, always go full power. At least until the 4th Gen bikes drop, then an SL will have enough juice to be a contender.
What Gen are we now?

Back
Top Bottom