Laser guns on NYS thruway?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
@Carson or anyone else. Anybody know what these are for? I passed under one of these yesterday on the way to Hunter and it set of the Laser sensor on my detector.

laser.jpeg

Over height vehicle sensor? Just assuming since I see the bridge in the background.

Enjoy. FYI, federal highway commercial vehicle height ranges from 13'6 to 14". Structure height is 16' in rural areas and 14' in urban areas.

Last edited:
Well that was my fear, but I haven't found anything about them online. They were laser not radar.
Could be a number of things, for speed, height, vehicle length based classification or just detection of traffic. The lines you see in the pavement (the tar areas in boxes) are a permanent traffic counting or Weigh in Motion station.

Traffic monitors. Not sure about NY but in NJ, speed enforcement cameras are illegal.

Ny illegal also, city tested them out and people complained feverishly. They didn't last long.
They do have speed cameras in NYC, but only in school zones. Along with red light cameras.
Edit: I didn’t realize they suspended them for a little while, but they are back in effect.

Yeah, these are not for speeding but yes these monitors are new to NYST, haven't been traveling regularly on the Thruway North between NJ and upstate NY for 2 months so these are relatively new.

With that said, I'll report back if my Redline kicks off driving under them. I travel off peak times and usually sit at a pretty high average speed, higher than should be posting about with all anti-LEO type equipment in the vehicle. :) So if anyone is going to get nailed by camera's it might be me. Curious to see how many people mark those as Speed Cameras on the Waze App I will have to deny... i'm a Waze Map Editor as well.

The gif game on the board has been way upped lately, amirite???

Nice work All!

They are neither laser or speed cameras. Have gone under those for I don't know how many years exceeding the speed limit, and they've also never set the radar detector off.

They are neither laser or speed cameras. Have gone under those for I don't know how many years exceeding the speed limit, and they've also never set the radar detector off.
Does not mean they aren’t speed cameras, just means they arent ticketing..

Set off that laser warning on my detector. I rarely here that one, so it scared theshit out of me at 85.

Back
Top Bottom