Kittatinny Valley State Park Conditions

trail conditions

I took a quick walk around the blue trail today at lunch and it seemed mostly clear, only 1 or 2 trees still blocking the path. It looks like they have been working on clearing the trails because I did notice a lot of cut trees removed from the trails. I'll check out some of the other trails and report back.

I took a quick walk around the blue trail today at lunch and it seemed mostly clear, only 1 or 2 trees still blocking the path. It looks like they have been working on clearing the trails because I did notice a lot of cut trees removed from the trails. I'll check out some of the other trails and report back.

this is good news, thank you...

Thanks for the update!

very good news, I was talking to somebody at Marty's who did a trail run up to the needle the other weekend. Stated that there where still a couple of tree's down on the left side up.

Walked some more of the trails today at lunch and they were all in good shape. The fire roads leading to the trails are a little chewed up due to all the vehicle traffic. Going to try riding the trails this weekend if the weather holds up.

Trail conditions were perfect today.

Some trails have "trail closed" signs - appears they are almost done in those sections. But there was alot of other trail to ride.

Trail conditions were perfect today.

Some trails have "trail closed" signs - appears they are almost done in those sections. But there was alot of other trail to ride.

Which trails were still closed?

I find it amazing that it has been over 5 months since Sandy and Kittatinny is not completely open yet. Funny how all the other parks in the area where volunteers were welcomed (Allamuchy, Stephens, Deer Park) are all open and have been for months! And, Kittatinny has to be the easiest to reach -- most of the trails are easy accessed by gator or a short walk. Not the case in the aforementioned parks.

I rode about 11 miles of trails on Saturday, I went on some of the "closed trails" and there were no problems. I only came across only one tree on the white trail still waiting to be cleared

Was there saturday morning and most of it inside the park was in great shape.

Why is nobody cleaning up the trails north of the rail bed? I didn't get a chance to ride the tower trails or the loop by the hunting cabin so I am not sure if anyone got to those yet, but what a mess.

^^^^^^ trails by hunting cabin are a complete no-go as of yesterday...

about a dozen or so blow-downs from the storm have yet to be cleared

lots of TICKS!!!!!!

big thanks to the State guys cleaning the trails up

i have been in about 5-6 times in the last month, mostly quick rides up to the tower to get in shape (more like brutal reminders of how not in shape I am!). I have never seen so many trees down. Green on the north side of rr bed is a mess and yellow up from the twin lakes was a mess. I was there today and talked with a couple of state guys who have been clearing the trails the last couple of months. I gave them a big thank you. they said that yellow should be open now. they also said that they have cut/cleared over a thousand trees in the park since:) Sandy. i believe it.

I really love KVSP - for a small park it really has a little bit of everything.

thanks too to team bulldog for your work as well.

I'll second this post!!

I've only been out about 3 times in the last month or so (all at KVSP). I live in Newton and consider KVSP my local riding spot. I climbed the yellow needle side last time out and noticed how many trees were still down (while trying to gasp for air in my lungs). I ride here regularly on short rides before work. I also love the variety of terrain and the fact that no matter where I am in the park, I'm no more than 10 min. from the car at anytime...great training spot to keep the fitness level up (when it's up....) when I don't have much time to spare and don't want to drive 30 min to an hour just to get to a trailhead....it sucks that it has taken this long to get the trails cleared since Sandy...but I'm glad progress is being made!!!!

I was there sunday morning and all was well, little slippery after the rain. I noticed that one of my favorite short trails wasn't cleared yet and it is inside the park. Just south of the main lot on the gravel road there is a crossover to the tracks that I like to call the "camel humps". Made the right on to it, got up the hill and made the left bend to see a huuuuuge pile of trees. I know that KVSP got clobbered with down trees and I don't expect the park to 100 % for a long time and that sucks.

Outside of that I liked the change in the upper section of the switchback and noticed Sussex Counties SLAP program was out in force with cutters and blowers. Not sure who was leading or "protecting" what they were cutting, but it was nice to see. Would love to get that hunting cabin loop to the left of the needle open one of these days.

I was there sunday morning and all was well, little slippery after the rain. I noticed that one of my favorite short trails wasn't cleared yet and it is inside the park. Just south of the main lot on the gravel road there is a crossover to the tracks that I like to call the "camel humps". Made the right on to it, got up the hill and made the left bend to see a huuuuuge pile of trees. I know that KVSP got clobbered with down trees and I don't expect the park to 100 % for a long time and that sucks.

Outside of that I liked the change in the upper section of the switchback and noticed Sussex Counties SLAP program was out in force with cutters and blowers. Not sure who was leading or "protecting" what they were cutting, but it was nice to see. Would love to get that hunting cabin loop to the left of the needle open one of these days.

Are there any colors blazed on the "camel humps" trail you mentioned?....I'm sure I've hit the trail before (since I've prob. explored the entire park at one time or another) but can't picture where that is.....does it end out into the large field? or closer to the lot near the state park building?

I noticed the change in the upper white switch back as well....but wondered why the older section was not blocked if the changes were part of an official re-route??????:hmmm:

I also noticed that the short green loop on the needle side (just off the rail trail) was still a mess my last time out....great warm-up trail before hitting the yellow needle climb..

I also noticed that the short green loop on the needle side (just off the rail trail) was still a mess my last time out....great warm-up trail before hitting the yellow needle climb..

I also hit those 3 sections as "warmups" before I start my ride. First right, cross over, cross over again and back to the rail bed.

Back
Top Bottom