Kayak shopping questions

I'm just looking to paddle on lakes and calm rivers and maybe do some fishing. I want two boats so if my wife is annoying I can paddle away :). I see there are some inexpensive ones but don't know if that's a typical beginner trap and they really are crap. I won't be using them nearly as much as my bikes.

I'm just looking to paddle on lakes and calm rivers and maybe do some fishing. I want two boats so if my wife is annoying I can paddle away :). I see there are some inexpensive ones but don't know if that's a typical beginner trap and they really are crap. I won't be using them nearly as much as my bikes.

If you plan on fishing, you'll need to get the kind of kayak you pedal with your feet. Kind of hard to cast/fight a fish and position the boat at the same time with a standard paddle.

I'd say for what you're looking to do, probably a recreational in the 10-14' range. Sit on top are ok. Good platform for fishing and easier to climb back on should you flip. They'll be heavier than a sit in though, and your center of gravity will be higher.

You can get pretty cheap sit in kayaks that are 9-10', but it comes at a weight/speed cost. I have paddled a 9 a few times running Eco tours, and my 12 is much more enjoyable. With some slight downstream flow shorter is probably fine (and likely more maneuverable), but not my first pick for flat.

All that said, short answer is durable plastic 12' or so. Wilderness Systems and Perception both seem reliable. And as mentioned already, rental fleets sell of soon and some leftover models may be available at a discount still as well.
image.jpeg

I will ask advice for our 3rd boat, I want a tourer next.
Now that I started paddling more again I have been eyeing tourers. Would be nice to cover some more distance a bit easier. Seen a few in the 15ft range on Craigslist for not horrible pricing.

I,m deep into the kayaks in prep for a coastal Maine trip. Bought a used glass boat a few years ago that was heavily abused, I'm still trying to fix it up.

The thing about touring boats (longer than 14) is the additional precautions, skills and equipment needed as a result of a less stable platform. With sit in you have to consider spray decks, pumps, paddle floats etc. That is why I suggest short sit on top.

20160804_182011.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with @axcxnj ....you get what you pay for... That said, some of Dicks' inventory is decent. Just like bikes, there are brands that are junk, basic, upscale, advanced. For a good mid-priced decent quality boat, I'd go for Perception. Other solid brands include Dagger, Old Town, Wilderness Systems. You can find several of these brands at stores like REI and Pelican Ski. I am not crazy about Pelican brand kayaks (not associated with Pelican Ski), Future Beach, Sun Dolphin.

As for type of boats, like bikes, it depends on what you plan to use them for....flatwater: sit inside. Whitewater: sit on top. Beach: Sit on top.

A sit-inside will typically track better on flat water. Sit on tops, on the other hand, are better for beaches and/or rougher rivers where likelihood of tipping and/or getting lots of water in the boat is greater. The reason they require more effort to paddle than sit inside kayaks is that the drain holes (there are typically 6 per boat) can create drag.

We have 4 sit-insides in our family, all Perception, ranging from 9.5 to 13 fit. They have served us very well.

I also have a sit-on-top Liquid Logic for running whitewater up to Class 3. Have to say, running a river like the Lehigh in one of these things is a blast. Kinda like a liquid rock garden:

don't know if it holds true for all dick's sg's but customer service to me is a big selling point. bought an inexpensive pelican sit in for my youngest, and each time during the summer they dropped they sale price they refunded me the difference this was over a period of 4 months and the 2nd time i went in the cashier noticed from the receipt i wasn't given the 10% discount on accessories, she gave me that too, i was happy

I,m deep into the kayaks in prep for a coastal Maine trip. Bought a used glass boat a few years ago that was heavily abused, I'm still trying to fix it up.

The thing about touring boats (longer than 14) is the additional precautions, skills and equipment needed as a result of a less stable platform. With sit in you have to consider spray decks, pumps, paddle floats etc. That is why I suggest short sit on top.

View attachment 38865

Is that a Force Cat? Nice boat, I had one for a little while. The Impex Outer Island is a sexy boat too.

As far as OP's original question goes, it sounds sounds like you're looking for a 10-12 rec boat. I'm sitting on the beach right now and can hardly read my screen. I think isaw soneone mention a Pungo? I'll second that. nice little boat that would meet your needs. Large open cockpit, wide, stable and relatively small.

Wilderness, perception, dagger - available at most big box stores. They are all the same company too - confluence Watersports. Normally Id reccomend you to the Jersey Paddler but sadly Walt and John closed up shop a few months ago.

I'm looking for a set of kayaks for my wife and myself. Thinking mostly for recreational paddling - although I'd probably use it for fishing too. What should I be looking for? Brands? Types? Where to buy? Other details I need to consider???
I have 2 of these....one for me and one for the wife. Wide and stable. only 9.5' long < 40lbs
http://www.heritagekayaks.com/hken/products/kayaks/featherlite9-5.html

If not the brand.....consider the type. short and wide. stable for fishing (which I use it for), easy on the wife. Loan the wifes to a buddy when we go fishing. He's "oversized" but the kayak works fine with him too.

My 2cents. Longer and narrower = faster with less overall stability. Shorter and wider = slower and stable. I would recommend an over stern kick up rudder if possible. For fishing I like a sit on top to be able to step out in shallow water in needed. I fish saltwater a lot, perhaps not so important in the fresh. Choose stability over speed. Consider weight (loading and unloading) and how you will transport in your decision. Save some money for paddles and life vests, I would recommend a 2 piece adjustable length and feather angle paddle if possible.
The Hobie boats that you can peddle are very nice but pricey. I attach a leash to my paddle when fishing and toss it in the water when needed. Most manufacturers will have something to fit your needs, buy used if you find the right boat at the right price.
Ed

Last edited:
We have 3 Wilderness Systems. 2 sit on 12 ft and a 18ft sit in tandem touring monster.

12 ft great for fishing and local smaller ponds.

18 ft tandem goes on mostly overnight trips.

Very happy with this brand.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom