Kayak shopping questions

xc62701

I'm looking for a set of kayaks for my wife and myself. Thinking mostly for recreational paddling - although I'd probably use it for fishing too. What should I be looking for? Brands? Types? Where to buy? Other details I need to consider???

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Paging @capers

Also consider purchasing from a place that will be selling off their demo/rental fleet in the next few months.
You can get a great deal on a boat if you don't mind buying used.

jackx

I'm looking for a set of kayaks for my wife and myself. Thinking mostly for recreational paddling - although I'd probably use it for fishing too. What should I be looking for? Brands? Types? Where to buy? Other details I need to consider???
Need to consider kayak size (for stability) with regards to whether they will be used on ponds or rivers, or inter coastal water ways with larger boat traffic and wakes.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
I would suggest you go with sit-on-top type, typically 9-12 foot long. These make it easy to get in the water to cool off, tend to be very stable, and the default platform for kayak fishing. They are the fat-bike equivalent of kayaks.

Johnny Utah

I bought 2 Pelican Trailblazer 100s. They're sit-in Dick's boats. They work. Capers would not approve.
Agreed, I have a cheapie Ocean Kayak. Up until @jimvreeland and I do our Kayak Century I am sure they will be fine. Should I come across another Kayak I will keep my cheap kayak to tow provisions and/or use it as a quarantine vessel for when we cross the Atlantic.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
one word of wisdom from someone who has paddled plenty of slow heavy boats, though my level of experience is not up to par with capers.

if you wouldnt buy your bike from dicks sporting goods, then dont buy your kayak there. if you would...then go ahead. I owned a pair of ocean kayaks for a number of years. they do 2 things really well.

float

ride waves

paddling ocean kayaks in flat water just plain sucks...it sucks so bad that i lived on a lake, with 2 kayaks at my house and water at my backyard and i never wanted to go paddling. A better boat is more enjoyable to paddle, just like a better bike is more enjoyable to ride.

find out if you want a tandem or a single. A tandem has its advantages, and disadvantages. if youre paddling with someone who is not as strong, it keeps the whole experience better because you stay together and arent constantly waiting up for someone in another boat. They are also larger and thus a bit more difficult to transport...but not by a ton. a good roof rack does the job.

kayak material makes a big difference. but id recommend going with something that has a molded plastic shell instead of fiberglass. it will be much cheaper and durable, though a bit slower and heavier. Since its recreational..molded plastic should fit the bill.

once you do more research and see what the offerings are, go find something on the used market. kayaks arent cheap and lots of people end up buying them, using them a few times and then selling at a loss. because they realize that lugging kayaks around is tough.

I hope that didnt come off as snarky. but i know if you go and buy a crappy boat, you wont have fun paddling it and it will sit

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
LoLoL not true. There's a boat for everyone. I may have commented on your FB about it being a questionable boat for the area you were paddling that one day, but there is nothing wrong with your purchase. Enjoy your self son!

I will ask advice for our 3rd boat, I want a tourer next.

Top Bottom