Just a normie riding walmart bikes..

Welcome, if you got the Schwinn for $124, that's quite a deal. Calling @Paul H who is riding his Schwinn Axum now more than his Santa Cruz, on details of his upgrades. I'm actually tempted at getting the Walmart Hyper X for $500. They were sold out locally but appear to be available online.

Hit me up if you want a riding partner at the eco preserve or want a tour nearby

The mechanical disc brakes on the Schwinn suck (the only Schwinn thing left on the AL Comp is the frame). I ditched those and got a set of Shimano MT201's (same model on my Polygon).
Yes, its ridiculous that the brakes can be so bad. I was thinking of upgrading to MT200, are MT201 much better?
Welcome, if you got the Schwinn for $124, that's quite a deal. Calling @Paul H who is riding his Schwinn Axum now more than his Santa Cruz, on details of his upgrades. I'm actually tempted at getting the Walmart Hyper X for $500. They were sold out locally but appear to be available online.

Hit me up if you want a riding partner at the eco preserve or want a tour nearby
Thanks you. Yes! Thats what I got it for! Oh wow, I cant believe someone would like the Axum over Santa Cruz! :eek: Must've done some amazing upgrades!

Do you ride at the preserve often? I had a great time last two weekends, will look forward to the coming weekend as well. Would be great to join you there! But I am total newbie, so might be very slow for you.

Yes, its ridiculous that the brakes can be so bad. I was thinking of upgrading to MT200, are MT201 much better?

Thanks you. Yes! Thats what I got it for! Oh wow, I cant believe someone would like the Axum over Santa Cruz! :eek: Must've done some amazing upgrades!

Do you ride at the preserve often? I had a great time last two weekends, will look forward to the coming weekend as well. Would be great to join you there! But I am total newbie, so might be very slow for you.
I should have been clearer the MT201 I refer to is the BL-MT201 which is the lever. Both levers use the BR-MT200 brake. BL-MT200 is steel, and the BL-MT201 is aluminum.

I should have been clearer the MT201 I refer to is the BL-MT201 which is the lever. Both levers use the BR-MT200 brake. BL-MT200 is steel, and the BL-MT201 is aluminum.
Ha! No wonder I was only able to find levers when I searched! I have so much to learn.

Last edited:
Oh wow, I cant believe someone would like the Axum over Santa Cruz! :eek: Must've done some amazing upgrades!
Got the Axum as a winter beater.
Lately... been pretty lazy with my bike maintenance and the Axum is the only bike that has stans in the tires lol

Axum is upgraded like a $1.5k entry level bike and gets the job done.

Lately... been pretty lazy with my bike riding and the Axum is the only bike that has seen the light of day this year lol

FTFY
@cyclops enjoy riding your mtb.👍
If you're ever around High Mountain look me up for a ride.

Lately... been pretty lazy with my bike maintenance and the Axum is the only bike that has stans in the tires lol

That's cool! What all stuff did you upgrade? Do you have it listed somewhere?

That's cool! What all stuff did you upgrade? Do you have it listed somewhere?
Screenshot_20230714_212736_Facebook.jpg

I have 2 upgrades so far. Raceface clone pedals (Puroma) already installed and Shimano MT200 kit coming on a slow boat. Next on my list, though out of my budget right now - Dropper post and a Fork.

Posting an update after long -

I am done with the upgrades for now! Here is what I have so far -

1. MT200 from Aliexpress - $38
2. Viaron headset from Amazon - $9
3. Puroma pedals from Amazon - $12
4. KS dropper (31.6/150mm) from Aliexpress - $66
5. ZTZ fork from Amazon - $85
6. Wheel/cassette (taken off a new axum) - $50 (+6pac IPA, got it from a friend)

Bike cost was $124, so I am still below 400. Its riding pretty well for my use now. Next on my list is a shorter stem and longer term will be the drivetrain.

I ended up with another new axum rear wheel which is now of no use to me. If anyone wants it, let me know.

6. Wheel/cassette (taken off a new axum) - $50 (+6pac IPA, got it from a friend)

Bike cost was $124, so I am still below 400. Its riding pretty well for my use now. Next on my list is a shorter stem and longer term will be the drivetrain.

I ended up with another new axum rear wheel which is now of no use to me. If anyone wants it, let me know.
Good work, Post pics!

Was beginning to wonder what happened to you. Nice upgrades..

Back
Top Bottom