Johnny Utahs Bike Change Operation

View attachment 33306 View attachment 33307 View attachment 33308 View attachment 33309 View attachment 33310 H2H 1 Recap amongst other things

Can't believe the first one is complete.

We had a great day today, and the course was awesome, good work guys & gals!

Lap1:
First six mile lap and I had the hole shot but was quickly taken as we went into the woods. It took me a bit to recover, like the whole first lap at which I dropped from 1st to 5th. Fawk! Everywhere I could have caught up, especially the stairs was littered with the slower race classes that were in front of us, but that's racing.

Lap:2
Power: I am starting to understand the whole deal, I have built a slow but steady mileage engine. My trail skills allow me to
Move quick, but the fire road sprints kill me. Halfway through lap two I came up to 3rd and 4th in the singletrack, but once we hit the fireroad 3rd was gone and I began battling for fourth. I knew he would kill me on the fireroad, so I put the hammer down on the singletrack. As we approached the raised bridge I questioned whether the gentleman I was battling could make the 12" bunny hop at the wide open gear we were traveling in: the gunshot pop behind me gave me the answer: another HED bites the dust. So now I have 4th.

Lap: 3
Smooth sailing. I never even saw @Dairyman who took third and I finished behind him, well done Don!

4th place. Solid! I am looking forward to the next one.

As always, thanks for the constant motivation to leave the comfort zone: @pearl @jimvreeland @Mountain Bike Mike @fidodie special thanks to @Flaubert @Mumonkan @Dairyman for making it fun.

Life plans:
I bought the DH bike on a whim and for a deal but would like to unload it. Amongst a ton of house projects and toys I would like to add gears to the Surly to attempt a 150+ ride as well as back to back centuries.

Signing up for the next H2H tonight

I was probably crying at that point. Second time down the stairs I heard a pop in my rear wheel when I came around and jumped up on that bridge it just collapsed. Expensive lesson learned, carbon wheels are not meant for mtbing. Maybe the pants were just a little too heavy for those wheels.

That was amazing to watch! Awesome save on the bridge, you were really hauling. Glad you are ok, the explosion of sealant alone could have sent you into orbit :D

Was that the same course as jorba winter jam? Going down those stairs was fun, but wouldn't want to do it on full rigid

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Wurd Homies:

I figured it is a great time to give everyone some updates.

Diet:
Well, I am down to 185lbs, so 18-20 since the New Years. The past week has been hyper though (metabolism), as I have really stopped drinking beers/alcohol and my body now wants to eat 24-7. To keep within weight I have been trying to ride and work on the house as much as possible. By mid-summer, I would be very happy if I were under 180lbs, but I am not trying to be dumb about it in the past. Also, in no way shape or form am I giving up beer, I just have not been in the mood for it lately, ice cream on the other hand...........

Bikes:
So I sold the DH bike, between Bearscat training, H2H races, family and house work, I am not sure how I was going to juggle everything. Longer rides seem to get me more excited than anything else these days, especially rides I can leave from home for (on the bike).

In order to make this a bit more comfortable I have ordered a 10 speed drivetrain for the Surly that I should have all together within the next 2-3 weeks. Should be sweet, 36 tooth single ring with a 11-36 cassette using a thumb shifter. Simple, but effective.

Training:
Basically just trying to ride as much as possible.....looking forward to warmer weather so it is a bit more comfortable to get in a few longer rides a week and get back on track to my 6000 mile goal (should be at 1300 tonight).

Housework:
Almost done with the dildo room!

Other:
Mitch saved the day with some plugs, they held for 14 miles without issue!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 105
protip: frozen fruit.

i have an unhealthy relationship with sweets, so i recently started getting frozen fruit to try and offset eating a pound of cookies in one sitting and holy shit its amazing.

its frozen so it feels more like a sinful dessert than regular fruit so its mentally satisfying, but its way better for you, low on the calorie front, and all the fiber fills you up

protip: frozen fruit.

i have an unhealthy relationship with sweets, so i recently started getting frozen fruit to try and offset eating a pound of cookies in one sitting and holy shit its amazing.

its frozen so it feels more like a sinful dessert than regular fruit so its mentally satisfying, but its way better for you, low on the calorie front, and all the fiber fills you up

Years ago I had an ice cream fetish too - would have some every night. Now I only eat fruit - keep mixing it up to make it interesting. Right now it kinda blows but summer is primo

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
H2H #2 Recap

Not going to lie, the 12PM start time is nice. It allows me to depart at 9-10am for Mooch :).

Start:
Can't believe it, holeshot for race #2 as well, only this time I throttled back a bit as I knew what was coming.

Lap #1
Once in the woods I tried to race my own pace and control my breathing to get ready for the climbs. My engine does not do well the first lap, as it takes me twenty minutes to get moving properly. Our pack caught up to the other classes in front of us pretty quick, we worked well getting through the slower racers, mostly by holding speed and taking some aggressive lines I that can only give credit to the DH background. This theme remained pretty steady with #2 on my tail as we got up to the bigger climb. Halfway up I succumbed to the pressure and took a bad line, he passed me! Now sitting in second. At first I wanted to attack but I did not have the engine at the time and felt it was too early, so I waited for the downhill. Once I began to crest the assent I was ready to pull out all the stops, which I did to the lake, minimal to little breaking. Just hoping the carbon would hold. Once we got to the lake I caught first place and moved into my position as we approached the wooden bridge.......1st again! I kept looking for his response..........

Lap #2
The classes that left earlier had begun to get spaced out and I could travel further distances without running into someone. The first two people I needed to pass were right as we got into the woods, but after this it was pretty smooth sailing or other races were willing to move over. I had look over my shoulder twice to see if anyone was behind me to no avail. After this I caught myself and promised that I would not look back again, I just assumed someone would attack shortly. Soon the large climb approached, it was a lot easier the second time around, especially since I was watching @David Taylor climb on his single speed. As I watched my elevation I knew the climbing was almost over and I push into the DH.....soo much fun! Half way down when I hit the second puddle my front wheel slid out and I dropped the bike, I was okay, but the bars were tweaked bad. After a five second man handling I was on my way again. As the finish line approached and I began climbing the fireroad there were no other fatties behind me.

1st. This was my first XC race podium (non-endurance). It feels like a lot of work is paying off.

It was nice to meet @fidodie as well!

this course was awesome and I eagerly look forward to next years event.

Last edited:
Great write up.. I don't race, but this awesome.. I have had a blur-by with Mr. Utah.. I was on my way back to the lot at Allaire on fumes.. I only wish he was going in the same direction so the draft could have allowed me to coast the rest of the way there..

sweet, congrats man! and it looks like you would have been mixing it up at the front of the 19-39 cat 2 field too!

Back
Top Bottom