Johnny Utahs Bike Change Operation

Point of Thought:

Over the past year I have gotten stronger and faster. My stamina has increased as has my enjoyment of covering miles. As the New Year approaches people are already asking what my resolution will be, not really my thing (making a resolution), but in order to progress I feel like I am going to need a cleaner diet.

I know how to diet to build mass, but not for cycling. My recovery meals for bigger rides are more of a post game tail gate party, this is going to need to end, or at least I feel guilty for them. With the increasing miles and holiday season (as well as getting older) I am starting to find out what heartburn is.

Continued discussion of entering the short track races as well as my build up of the single speed are pushing me to think more long term rather than just the winter fat series. Part of my problem is defining my goals going forward, can I train to ride distance and still be competitive if I want to enter the short XC arena?

At 200, I feel like I would be a bit faster at 185 and gain a bit more stamina, this would come at the cost of beer and a few meals out a week, or at least better choices when I eat out. I also think some of the diet is slowing me down just in what it offers for nutrition. But this has also been the repeating problem plaguing progress, still Norms thread as well as Mountain Bike Mikes push me to know it will create results and is possible.

I open the forum, what are some of you eating for recovery rides on 30+ mile days? things you avoid, things you must have in your diet?

I'm a fan of recovery shakes for the first thing consumed after a hard ride.

Maybe it's psychological, but the ones I use really do make me less sore the next day. GU Recovery Brew.

Plus, it helps prevent me from going overboard on "recovery" / eating everything in my kitchen.

Had a few #s to drop last winter. Nothing crazy. Was 188-190 depending on morning constitutional. Really just wanted to drop 10 or so. Could ride for several hours with the shop guys, but whenever the road tilted upwards, I was off the back.
Did a 30 day Isagenix cleanse/program. 12 #s in 30 days. It sucked. But it worked. After the 30 days, I modified it the diet to a more real world routine. Shake for breakfast or dinner, and ALWAYS after a workout/ride. This spring summer I didn't get dropped (much).
Rode GFNY Bear for the second year in a row and shaved 25+ MINUTES off the 46 mile ride. 6th? Yeah, it's it a race, unless your time was near mine.
GFNJ saw several minutes shaves off the two timed climbs.
CX season really motivated me to do more. Did a 10 week training program with the modified Isagenix diet. Currently at 172 # most mornings. FTP up, weight down.
Trying my best now to not get back to " winter weight".
I'm not a weight lifting guy. That shits too heavy. Did spend a lot of time on the trainer though. Going nowhere fast.
Short track sounds fun. After a full CX season, wife may not be happy, but I gotta burn off work stress, right?

Part of my problem is defining my goals going forward, can I train to ride distance and still be competitive if I want to enter the short XC arena?
I thought this was something I wrote. I always ask the question, can you do 100 mile races for the joy of riding/racing (not trying to win a 100 mile race) all year and then try and be competitive in CX in the fall?

I think theres a balance you can find. At some point, the endurance races are more about will and survival than anything. I think you are at that point. It's not a matter of if you can finish an endurance event, it's more of "if you want to" or "if you feel like it". Preparing for XC racing will help your endurance. You will know your body and know your limits. You will know when to go into the red and know when to save those matches.

I really do not have a ton of issues with putting on weight while I'm riding. I may not be the best person to answer your questions for you. I always feel like the hour after a ride is the time to eat/binge whatever you want. After that point, you need to come back down to reality and eat normal.

You also probably didn't drink enough. So drink more water. Even if you think you did, you didn't :)

Have you ever not drank alcohol for an extended period of time? It's a big sacrifice but if your seeking that last 5% of performance or weight that might be the time to whip that out.

I thought this was something I wrote. I always ask the question, can you do 100 mile races for the joy of riding/racing (not trying to win a 100 mile race) all year and then try and be competitive in CX in the fall?

I think theres a balance you can find. At some point, the endurance races are more about will and survival than anything. I think you are at that point. It's not a matter of if you can finish an endurance event, it's more of "if you want to" or "if you feel like it". Preparing for XC racing will help your endurance. You will know your body and know your limits. You will know when to go into the red and know when to save those matches.

I really do not have a ton of issues with putting on weight while I'm riding. I may not be the best person to answer your questions for you. I always feel like the hour after a ride is the time to eat/binge whatever you want. After that point, you need to come back down to reality and eat normal.

You also probably didn't drink enough. So drink more water. Even if you think you did, you didn't :)

Good to hear on the long rides, especially as I am figuring out that I may be into racing some shorter events for next year. I have been recovering very well thus far (from long rides) and thinking more of my dips or exhaustion that I previously discussed two weeks ago has more to do with choosing the wrong recovery meals (eating crap while out) coupled with a copious amount of beer. Three or four big beers after a long ride is also increasing my dehydration post ride, when I really should be stocking up on water and quality nutrients.

Totally agree about will to finish, the miles really are all the same after a certain point.

The real question here is, am I ready to give up my non-cycling social life that involved lots of bar food and beers to progress to the next level (or at least be the party pooper). This is where the blog helps, typing it out and getting sound advice. Thanks all!

Have you ever not drank alcohol for an extended period of time? It's a big sacrifice but if your seeking that last 5% of performance or weight that might be the time to whip that out.
Yes, the results are unreal and I have a feeling like that is where I need to go. It is a sacrifice for both my wife and I, but I think she is starting to understand my desire to go further. My house tends to be the social hangout, and when the firepit starts brewing people start showing up.

I should also add, at some point I would consider bringing a trainer in, but that would not be until I cut booze and went below 190lbs. Currently 199 today.

So if I were to challenge you to race the whole H2H series in the Fat Bike class, would you be the first person to rise to this challenge? If I were to ask this as a favor to us, and the community, would it make a difference?

We had the H2H promoters meeting last night and we unanimously voted (yes, this includes me) to add a Fat Bike class for 2016. This means there will be a fat bike class at every race, there will be season standings, and a winner's jersey.

I want to make sure we get people in this class so I want to try and recruit 10 people to run the whole series (6 of 8 races, 2 drops). I'm looking for contestant #1.

The real question here is, am I ready to give up my non-cycling social life that involved lots of bar food and beers to progress to the next level (or at least be the party pooper). This is where the blog helps, typing it out and getting sound advice. Thanks all!

That is for you to decide. I think you can enjoy chicken wings and a brew and still meet your goals. In the end it comes down to riding. Plenty of people do not eat well and drink tons of brews and perform on the bike. Drinking only water and eating kale will help you along, but riding is riding. You get faster by riding. You can start riding smarter to help you get to your goal faster.

The real question here is, am I ready to give up my non-cycling social life that involved lots of bar food and beers to progress to the next level (or at least be the party pooper).
Go out and have one light beer with the crew and eat the celery sticks out of their wing platters for free, because you know that nobody ever eats those. You still get to see those non-cycling folks, lower the calorie intake, and have more money for more El Mariachis or fat tire replacements when you get to Jim's mileages.

So if I were to challenge you to race the whole H2H series in the Fat Bike class, would you be the first person to rise to this challenge? If I were to ask this as a favor to us, and the community, would it make a difference?

We had the H2H promoters meeting last night and we unanimously voted (yes, this includes me) to add a Fat Bike class for 2016. This means there will be a fat bike class at every race, there will be season standings, and a winner's jersey.

I want to make sure we get people in this class so I want to try and recruit 10 people to run the whole series (6 of 8 races, 2 drops). I'm looking for contestant #1.
Hmm, hate to be a pain, what are the dates/locations. Without knowing I am already 65% in.

Go out and have one light beer with the crew and eat the celery sticks out of their wing platters for free, because you know that nobody ever eats those. You still get to see those non-cycling folks, lower the calorie intake, and have more money for more El Mariachis or fat tire replacements when you get to Jim's mileages.
This is sound advice!

easier said then done. i'd go beerless before going with a light beer.....

problem is not always 'drink to be social' - but being social about the drink...trying these home brews, or hard-to-get releases, deciding if they "work". then falling back on a couple more
before the night is over...next thing you know, 1000 calories went in right before going to bed!

The whole lower calorie thing is kind of meh to me. I feel like, especially for longer events, you need calories for fuel. You cannot starve yourself. You just need to eat better calories. That part is easier said than done.

I love how I am giving advice on this when I have recently put on a few pounds by being the laziest I've been in 10.5 months.

Yeah, listen to Pearl about weight loss. The closest he comes to seeing 200 pounds on a scale is if he picks up his wife before he gets on it.

I have been around the block & back, and can tell you all you need to know. Much easier to say than to do, however.

Race the fat bike class. This is step 1.

easier said then done. i'd go beerless before going with a light beer.....

problem is not always 'drink to be social' - but being social about the drink...trying these home brews, or hard-to-get releases, deciding if they "work". then falling back on a couple more
before the night is over...next thing you know, 1000 calories went in right before going to bed!
Totally agree with you. Can't tell you how many light beers I had in my fridge from the summer from people who brought them over only to trade up to what I was serving. These tend to get dumped at my buddies or brother in laws as I never touch them.

The whole lower calorie thing is kind of meh to me. I feel like, especially for longer events, you need calories for fuel. You cannot starve yourself. You just need to eat better calories. That part is easier said than done.

I love how I am giving advice on this when I have recently put on a few pounds by being the laziest I've been in 10.5 months.
Totally agree on calorie quality. Wife is on board with that and is trading the high calories cook books in for chicken breasts and veggies at the grocery store.

For instance, post century on Sunday I had three big beers and two dozen wings. Followed up by a slice of pizza when I got home. I did not think my recovery would be bad the next day: Wrong.

Over what I packed I ended up having an additional three bagels, handful of cookies and a bunch of lunch meat & cheese (we have a sick holiday spread at work), bringing in another 1500-2000 of poor calories. By packing my meals better I think I can shed weight while providing better calorie intake.

For instance, post century on Sunday I had three big beers and two dozen wings. Followed up by a slice of pizza when I got home. I did not think my recovery would be bad the next day: Wrong.
I mean, how did you expect to feel after that ride regardless of what you ate? After the couple of longer events I've done, my body is pretty trashed all over. I think your body needs to heal and you probably deserve a beer or two after that effort. If you make it an exception and not the norm, you will be just fine.

Yeah, listen to Pearl about weight loss. The closest he comes to seeing 200 pounds on a scale is if he picks up his wife before he gets on it.

I have been around the block & back, and can tell you all you need to know. Much easier to say than to do, however.

Race the fat bike class. This is step 1.

Can't let you create this class and not be apart of it, I am in for the series. Only one that may create issue is May, as I run a group for the MS Coast The Coast that Saturday, but I will most likely still show for the Sunday. Let me know when we can register, I take it I need a license?

Back
Top Bottom