James Pearl Thinks Blogging is Dead

We were lucky with a small destination wedding; it really weeded out the unwanted and uninterested.
T and I have this as a likely option. I'll have to ask you where you went. We both don't have much family in the US. If we wanted to be nice, we would have it somewhere in Europe so it's cheaper for either family to come, or just F off to Hawaii and invite EVERYONE we know and see what happens.

T and I have this as a likely option. I'll have to ask you where you went. We both don't have much family in the US. If we wanted to be nice, we would have it somewhere in Europe so it's cheaper for either family to come, or just F off to Hawaii and invite EVERYONE we know and see what happens.
do vegas

I'll have to ask you where you went.

St. John, USVI. Megs' family has a little tradition of being married there. Amazing place but it was hit pretty hard by those hurricanes last year.

Hawaii is also awesome. Maui in particular. My one tip would be to make the wedding about what you and T want. Screw everyone else.

Hawaii is also awesome. Maui in particular. My one tip would be to make the wedding about what you and T want. Screw everyone else.

no no no no no... i need a vacation and i need him to get married in a place where i have enough flyer miles to cover the cost of the plane ticket. i don't have enough for hawaii

Melinda and I spent a week in Miami with our parents and best friends, and then we got married on the beach by an old jewish man that was kind enough to dress up as a catholic priest. Then we ditched everybody and hopped on a cruise ship. We had a big reception in NJ like a month later for everyone else.

we got married on the beach by an old jewish man that was kind enough to dress up as a catholic priest
@Mitch ??

1538078071015.png

Maybe too close but ALWAYS a great place for peace and quiet.

Block Island

Justin, if it helps I wasn't invited but I'm crashing it. So we can hangout while eating at the buffet.

I know where and what day, I'm gonna make some wild assumptions on the time.

@taylor185 I will leave this up to you, after I submit these 2 pieces of evidence:

1. D liked the post, no additional comment on it, until this evening when she said:
2. "So are we inviting Justin to the wedding?" to which I replied, "I'm going to make him crash it."

I am starting to feel pressure from all different angles, so the past 2 days I set an alarm in an effort to wake up early enough to get stuff done. Today I was firmly in the "remove fried egg with a spatula" camp when it rang at 6:15. I groggily woke up, but I was not happy about it. I was driven with the notion that I had to get up, in an effort to get things done. Espresso, then I wrote for a little bit but I am extending yesterday's Story Triage phase with a lot more navel gazing than writing this morning. I don't want to say I was struggling. It was more like I was watching the pot and hoping it would boil faster. This stuff takes time, and with next week coming up, my mental sinews are extended more than they can handle right now. I started, but did not finish, chapter 26 this morning. I am targeting roughly 40 chapters when all is said & done.

I give up writing, it's just not working, and start the work day. I decide I'm going to do this by going into the dungeon and finishing up the cx bike for Saturday. I put the chain on, adjust the shifting, and all seems good. I set the bike outside the back door so I can ride it later. I go back upstairs, sit down, do the math, and realize there is no way I can pull off today without riding and working for the 4th straight day. So much for taking the cx bike for a spin. I ride for 90 minutes again and knock out 6 story points for Delaware. Not as productive as yesterday but it'll do.

My parents show up just after I get off the bike, just before noon. I wasn't really expecting them so soon, but it works out in the end. If I had stuck with my original plan I wouldn't have even been back from my ride. I need to tie up one last Delaware thing before I can sidetrack my day but then I have to get on 1 quick call with a guy from Austin that lasts 45 minutes. Ok so tack on an hour to that. Sorry parents.

Bird (step-dad) and I run to Home Depot to get things for the garden bench. We swing by the coffee shop on the Watchung circle that I am hoping sells beans now. But they don't yet so I get an espresso and Bird gets a coffee and we head home. I am home for 20 minutes then need to head out to get Simon in the pickup line. Unfortunately, Simon has forgotten to get in the line and they need to send for him, then I get Julia and her friend, drop her friend off at her house, then back home for a very brief interlude where I answer the Austin dude's questions then I am back out the door with Julia & Simon to drop Simon off at his soccer practice, then we head all the way back to Millington to watch the end of Zac's game. We catch the second half and see them win 3-1.

I get back to the house at 5:45 and Bird has finished v1 of the bench. I have done almost nothing to help him which was not the plan, but the Kiddie Shuffle ended up taking almost 3 solid hours and that wiped any time I had to help him. Meanwhile, my mom had made dinner so we sat down to eat together before D was off to Back to School Night, which I can't go to because 1 of us has to stay home. I clean up the kitchen and finally make my way to the shower, like 8 hours after I got off the bike. I'm so tired.

I sit down with the kids and finished writing chapter 26. It wasn't the easiest line to cross but I got there, and in doing this effort I have lined up the next 8 chapters, which is what I spent a lot of time thinking about tonight. I'm pretty sure I'll need to go back and retool both 25 and 26 eventually. In reality, with every chapter I develop the characters and the story a bit more, which I will then need to go back and augment/bolster/fluff (pick your word, I don't like any of them - actually clarify or "put more meat on the bones" may work here) the earlier chapters. I also have the rough idea of the last 3 chapters lined up but that's sort of the Post It note of the story, and a gateway to future things to come. I have no idea where this will go, but I am going to roll this lead character into future stories.

I'm tired. The list didn't really shrink today and I feel like I had a world of trouble staying on top of things. 9 days to go and 23 things on the To Do list for next Saturday. Actually, that doesn't sound as bad as the list looks. Weather is saying high of 71 and low of 49 for next week, with a slight chance of rain in the morning. Week looks dry, so the yard should be ok. Gotta say the weather looks like that Mayan Cocoa Coffee cheese tasted. Can I get a Jimmy Walker?

I need a week of vacation where I do absolutely nothing but drink espresso, ride my bike, eat, read, and write. On that note, going to hit submit and read my 10 pages now.

I need a week of vacation where I do absolutely nothing but drink espresso, ride my bike, eat, read, and write
I've been saying pretty much the same thing to Mrs. G recently.

Similarly to you folks, our vacations tend to be about learning/travelling/doing/seeing. So there's lots of enjoyment, but not much relaxation.

In 2014 we went in with some friends and rented a house on the north end of the Outer Banks. That's the last time we did a vacation where we just went to one place and stayed there for any extended period of time. I'm feeling due for another one of those.

I've been saying pretty much the same thing to Mrs. G recently.

Similarly to you folks, our vacations tend to be about learning/travelling/doing/seeing. So there's lots of enjoyment, but not much relaxation.

In 2014 we went in with some friends and rented a house on the north end of the Outer Banks. That's the last time we did a vacation where we just went to one place and stayed there for any extended period of time. I'm feeling due for another one of those.
Wait...didnt you just have 3 months of vacation? Lol

When you said about vacation, the first thing the first thing I thought is who takes more vacation than @Norm? Maybe it is more traveling than vacation?

As a parent with 2 kids, and whose vacation partners also have small kids, there's no such thing as a relaxing vacation

@jShort - thanks for the assist there.

I decide to sleep in today, no alarm, and wake up at 6:52. Not totally ready to get up but it's better than the previous 2 days. I deal with the usual morning routine with getting the kids up & off to school, then D takes them all away and I sit down to write. I start chapter 27 and things are much better today. Last night's effort of lining things up pays off today. In fact, I end up writing this one on & off until my 10:00 call. Much more productive day. After the 2 days of stumbling around blindly, it's good to have direction again.

I just need to get in 4 hours of work today to hit my 40, which I do by 1:30 when my last call ends.

I put some Stans in the tubulars of the cross bike and pump up the tires. I warm-up on Zwift for a little bit then go out and try the cross bike in the yard and across the street in the gravel lot. This is the first time I've tried mounting & dismounting in 3 years. I crash once unclipping, as these shoes are old and get caught in a way that I cannot explain. I put the new shoes on and they work much better, but I'm frustrated now that I've hit the deck. Remounting is a little out of sorts, but it'll have to do. I miss the next to last time and partially land on the rear wheel. Ok check that box also. I do it once more to make sure I can get on the saddle. In all, 6 minutes and 2 mishaps. Tomorrow is going to be a disaster I am sure. Expectations are minimal.

I finish up the day on Zwift, doing a few efforts but nothing big. I watch Black Mirror, S1E3: The Entire History of You. I think the takeaway of all of these is to really look at the overall message the episode is trying to send. Or more precisely, maybe the question it is trying to make you ask yourself. I think this one is interesting in a small way, but not especially realistic for any number of reasons and a bit ham-handed in how it was done. It's really cool that they are all standalone episodes with a new cast and a new director each time. But the continuity in every respect suffers because of it. Side note: one of the main characters in this episode is the main character on The Five.

I take the bike off the trainer and put the wheel back on, then adjust the shifting on that bike. The thing about the Kickr is that the RD does not line up well and you need to jack the shifting too much to get it to work. So you sort of need to dedicate a bike to the trainer for longer periods of time. The Power Tap still works on this one, which is the trainer bike for tomorrow. The race bike has the Stages which has a dead battery.

I go to the food store and get a few things for dinner, which is a recipe that @Dominos suggested, a steamed Cantonese-style fish. I also grab a battery for the Stages and get that back up & running. Lube the chains then pack up the car for the day. I then make dinner, which is excellent.

Based on @seanrunnette telling me that registration is open for Nats and my sucking ass on the 6 minute intro today, I decide to register for Nationals. Figure I might as well sign up for my target before I race my first race and decide this is a tremendously stupid idea. My target race is Friday, 12/14. Currently I am predicted 16th of 16. Like Steve Martin in The Jerk, things are gonna start happening to me now!

I edit chapter 13, mostly. But it is a long one and I can't quite get through it. Then I write my blog on the day which I should have been doing on & off all day. But somehow I turned around and it was 5:00 this afternoon. Then suddenly it's 9:00. And if I had time to catch my breath I might actually be nervous about the race tomorrow. But frankly, I'm not worrying much of all about bikes right now. My escapade in the yard today made it clear that tomorrow is a relearn-on-the-fly experiment and things will be what it will be.

Ok, this post is not so great. It's rushed and I don't have the time to make it better. The more I write the more picky I get and the more time it takes.

Back
Top Bottom