It's just a training blog bro

160rpms, how do your legs not fall off? this course is still in the making, the original short track course at renaissance park is way better. they had a summer short trac series out that way last year but damn, it was hot as shit.

Shes in Columbia, so about 90 minutes, which is pretty easy to travel

Now if we could get jack to use his gears better, he loves to spin lol

people get really send on the back part of that course, i am not one of them lol
My HR was pegged just watching this. Thought you were going to buzz Dicky's tire at the start.

Last edited:
My HR was pegged just watching this. Though you were going to buzz Dicky's tire at the start.
i didnt realize how much the inside pinched in, i had to pretty much stop pedaling and make sure i could slot in beside him so i didnt get pushed into a metal gate... woulda been a interesting blerg post if he kilt me

i didnt realize how much the inside pinched in, i had to pretty much stop pedaling and make sure i could slot in beside him so i didnt get pushed into a metal gate... woulda been a interesting blerg post if he kilt me
I went back and re-read you post, 38x17 is crazy. I ran 34x18 at the Summer Sizzler last year and that was hard trying to stay in front of @Matt_ for 1 lap.

I've raced Justin before so when I saw his strava rid was "38x17 openers" I knew it was really a race for second place lol

almost a 2mph difference across the board in gearing, absolutely bonkers. but with that downhill road section... i guess it makes all the difference.

Well I decided to throw my hat in the the ring for the Hincapie spring series 123 race, fresh off my Cat 3 upgrade. You can imagine how that went.

I ended up getting blown off 15 minutes later and pulled with the rest of the 3 scrubs that were not prepared. I didn't expect much but was hoping to at least sit in for a bit. A very windy day made it impossible to hide and being the back end of the fastest 50 people who registered, I needed that. Reminded me of when I did my first Cat 1 MTB race, thinking, WTF did I get myself into? While I don't think I will be at the pointy end of a bigger 123 race, I would like to imagine before I turn 40 I can at least be in the bunch. Or I just need to turn 40 and I can race masters :)

Had to google this, the kid who won was born when I graduated high school and lapped the field twice. Gross.

Here is a bookmark to remember that you can't be on your A game 365 days a year and being in kill mode in February is a recipe for disaster in the end of the year. Unless you are a genetic freak like some of these kids. With bigger fish to fry and longer events being the focus, I can't expect to be crit boi in Feburay.

I wouldn’t assume the masters is much slower. It’s all the old pros that turned 40. Good luck!

I wouldn’t assume the masters is much slower. It’s all the old pros that turned 40. Good luck!
if i'm picking between George Hincapies kids and 20 year old dudes with procyclignstats.com pages, I think I'd pick the "old" dudes lol

Another fun non-bike riding thing I've been doing is local river trail TM. We had some historic rains the past month that really washed out and killed a bunch of stuff that was growing along the trail. I decided to attack some new sections of the deer trail I found. I think they must really love me, making this trail easier for them to navigate.

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.36.05 AM.png

This is the section that comes down from our backyard. I did a little 30 minute walking width bench cut. Maybe I'll do more after it rains again?

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.36.13 AM.png

Here is a section that I've worked on the last year, it's pretty beaten in now. Not bad for just me/dog/kiddos walking it eh?

Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 9.36.20 AM.png

Here is a newer section I pressed onward with a couple days ago. Just weedwacked.

The rain kicked up a bunch of sand, which makes Lucas have some good stuff to brap up.

It's easy to maintain this now with everything being dead. I'm hoping my weedwacking/lopper time now will make this actually passable in the summer. TBD.

Being 45 minutes from a world class BMX track, and with UCI worlds being held in Rock Hill this year, it seemed like a no brainer to finally give the track ago. They offer a free "try the track" weekly and it was totally worth checking out. I paid $10 to rent a bike and helmet, and we were off.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 3.49.52 PM.png

We rode from the finish to the first turn, turned around, back and forth until we got to the start gate.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 3.45.17 PM.png

IMG_0807.JPG

They started halfway down the drop in ramp, then got to head to the top:

While I wasn't worried about Lucas wanting to do this over and over again, I was shocked Jack kept walking up to the top an wanting to go again. They each got 3-4 drop ins.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 at 3.56.07 PM.png

Lucas stoked.

It was a super fun night and I can see doing this more often. They have practices 3 times a week, 4-8 Tues/Thurs and 11-2pm Saturday. Gotta get going while the weather isn't one billion degrees.

When I saw that track in person I was like WTF, did they they hire the NASCAR track people to build this?

Nicer than any drag strip I've been to.

they put in a pro line last year that gaps part of the course now, its pretty insane. one of the "coaches" was a 12 year old kid sending it over 20 foot gap, pretty sick

EDIT: guess it wasnt last year, they just resurfaced it:

Last edited:
Being 45 minutes from a world class BMX track, and with UCI worlds being held in Rock Hill this year, it seemed like a no brainer to finally give the track ago. They offer a free "try the track" weekly and it was totally worth checking out. I paid $10 to rent a bike and helmet, and we were off.

View attachment 233941
We rode from the finish to the first turn, turned around, back and forth until we got to the start gate.

View attachment 233942
View attachment 233944

They started halfway down the drop in ramp, then got to head to the top:

While I wasn't worried about Lucas wanting to do this over and over again, I was shocked Jack kept walking up to the top an wanting to go again. They each got 3-4 drop ins.

View attachment 233945
Lucas stoked.

It was a super fun night and I can see doing this more often. They have practices 3 times a week, 4-8 Tues/Thurs and 11-2pm Saturday. Gotta get going while the weather isn't one billion degrees.

Nevermind all that “How many watts am I making?” bullshit (which isn’t really bullshit…); THIS is something to do. For you and the boys.

I didn’t begin messing around on a bmx bike until I was in my 50’s. You have a 20 year head start. Use it wisely, Young Skywalker.

Last edited:
Nevermind all that “How many watts am I making?” bullshit (which isn’t really bullshit…); THIS is something to do. For you and the boys.

I didn’t begin messing around on a bmx bike until I was in my 50’s. You have a 20 year head start. Use it wisely, Young Skywalker.
I think we will lean into it a bit more. Maybe watch the Nationals on Sunday and see if the bug hits.

Hardest part if we go “all” in on this is another bike on the hook, means 3 more ;)

am i finally one of the old guys? i remember for the longest time i was the young kid riding bikes, has that torch been passed on? where is the influx of 20 somethings?

the amount of old guys is staggering

am i finally one of the old guys? i remember for the longest time i was the young kid riding bikes, has that torch been passed on? where is the influx of 20 somethings?

the amount of old guys is staggering
Kids don’t ride bikes anymore. Old dudes do tho

Back
Top Bottom