Is this a common problem?

Ride On

About 2 years ago I bought my son who was 8 at the time a new 2015 Trek MTB XSmall Frame - 27.5 wheel size. It was fine for riding on the road but now that he is older I took him on trails and the combination of the xsmall frame and the 27.5 wheel size causes him to wedge his foot between the front tire and bottom tube of the frame around turns when his pedals are in the neutral position. This wasn't noticeable until he started riding trails with somewhat tighter turns. After a few painful incidents he doesn't really want to ride anymore. I'd love to get him back on the trails but he is understandably spooked. His bike is in otherwise like new condition and I wouldn't even say he is too big for it (he is about 4'11). This was a horrible design (a slacker head angle would have solved the problem) and I am frustrated that I paid close to $500 for the bike at the time. I'd hate to have to go out and by a new bike for him that he'll outgrow in a year (and there is the awful chance that he may not like mountain biking).

Any ideas for a solution? If I had to buy him a new bike, would he be too small for a medium frame? I would consider getting him a used frame or bike.

Wouldn't be surprised if it has 175 length cranks , shorter cranks may solve all issues

This was a common problem during the early days of 29ers and small frames. Sounds like maybe the boy has outgrown the bike possibly. 10mm on crank length to 165 is minimal but not much else you can do.

A medium frame would probably be too big - I'm taller (the only time in recorded history I've type those words) and I ride a small frame.

When I got my first 29er, I occasionally had this same issue. I didn't make any changes to the bike, though -- I think I just adapted to it and changed my riding style up enough to avoid it. That may be a big ask for someone just getting into the sport, though. You could try smaller cranks, but if it still doesn't help maybe you could sell this bike and pick up something used but let him choose it himself - maybe he'll be more likely to want to ride if it's a bike he chose himself.

Shorter cranks, as mentioned, may help. Happens to me on my road bike sometimes because the fork is much steeper than a mountain bike so the wheel is closer to the frame plus I have 175's on there. Shorter cranks and foot position may be a solution until he grows up into a larger frame.

Very likely that shorter cranks and toe clips or clipless pedals would solve his toe overlap issues. Kids tend to pedal with their midfoot if they're on flat pedals.

Back
Top Bottom