Is less travel more for a slow rider?

I think most bikes pedal pretty well now for sure. But just pedaling we’ll doesn’t make a bike nimble. That’s what I am looking for. I see the new Ripmo went slacker. Wonder if I can get the V1 at a discount?

I did a test ride on the Pivot Trail 429. Bike handles and pedals great. I did my test ride at Kittatinny. As for a full time rig I am still on the fence, the Trail is a 30 lb bike. Not that I am a weight weenie, but I like to be able to through a bike it some techie stuff.

I did a test ride on the Pivot Trail 429. Bike handles and pedals great. I did my test ride at Kittatinny. As for a full time rig I am still on the fence, the Trail is a 30 lb bike. Not that I am a weight weenie, but I like to be able to through a bike it some techie stuff.
Lots of people like that bike. I have to believe a refresh is coming soon though. That and the Mach 5.5 are what the industry would call dated geometry. I loved the 5.5 when I demoed it. Do you prefer 29 or 27.5? I’m super tall so I feel like I should be on a 29er, but maybe a 27.5 is what I should get for the agility.

All of these shorter travel bikes that everyone is so hip on have almost the same reach, wheelbase, and head-angle as the "enduro" bikes.

Yes, that will be the new marketing thing next year: Bikes with steeper head-angles and shorter wheelbases. In fairness, the industry did a great job at making bikes that can turn while still having plenty of descending confidence. Seems like the trend is overshooting to the descending confidence side of things.

Lots of people like that bike. I have to believe a refresh is coming soon though. That and the Mach 5.5 are what the industry would call dated geometry. I loved the 5.5 when I demoed it. Do you prefer 29 or 27.5? I’m super tall so I feel like I should be on a 29er, but maybe a 27.5 is what I should get for the agility.

The Pivot was a great bike to ride. Narrow wheelbase kept it snappy. If you are use to a slightly heavier style bike I highly recommend one. It climbs like a champ on the straighter stuff I climbed that day. And turned very well. At KVSP I was really able to point and go.

My point of view on this bike is coming from a hardtail rider. I am use to a bike I can through around on techie climbs. The Trail 429 and Tallboy are keep your butt in the saddle and climb. If I was to ride lots of long climbs in the saddle with fast fun techie tight descents, not monster hits, the 429 would be great. Personally I am still looking for that racey feel.

Back
Top Bottom