If you had two grand to build a bike....

Just did this last summer - with a 2k budget. Flyxii Chinese Carbon hardtail 27.5", Velvet X-Fusion fork, Mavic wheels, full 2x10 XT incl brakes, Easton carbon post and bar, Easton alu stem. Ebay is your friend!

Loving it but seriously tempted to go 1x10. Wish I had sprung for a set of the Chi-Carbon wheels and the shadow plus rear derailleur though.

Next build - Chi-Carbon Fatbike 1x10 rigid. Looking closely at the ICAN SN01 frame - room for 5" tires and includes rack mounts.

So the Chinese carbon stuff holds up? Not sure I would ever take the gamble but def curious how they are quality wise

Wine on a beer budget? pshhhhh my taste for bikes isn't nearly as nice as everyone else's since I'm so noob and so broke. I'd take the 2k buy a used ht 456 or blue pig take what ever is left 1200 ish by another used subaru for 600 with blown head gaskets spend 5 on t belt, head gaskets, and a clutch. Then with the left over hundred I have left over go to the dollar store and go on a shopping spree.

That subaru would last 2 years and I'd sell it for what I bought it for and buy a new fork lol... 2 years later

You are currently training for XC racing no? If so, save every dollar you can and get yourself a carbon scalpel.

This is really the only correct answer.

But to play along and if there were absolutely a budget of 2k that would mean that realistically, the budget was $1500 because nobody I know buys only as much bike as initially budgeted :D Regardless, I'd head over the the MTBNJ classifieds and start compiling a list of bikes my size.

I'd save a few hundred more and buy my 2014 Superfly 9.8 with 94 miles on it. Always buy complete. Buildups are a pissing contest of who can waste the most $$

I am and i like my current bike... I would definately consider the crack and fail once the current bike shits the bed.

I didnt start this for assistance for me, it was more for curiosity... To see what people would do and how creative they were to build something decent for 2k
Well in that case....I built my china carbon SS for about $1500 using Lou's (iirc ~$1200) Cannondale hardtail as a starting point. But that was because i wanted a lefty on it and I spent extra for the 321 adapter and beer EBB...By the time I was done selling stuff, it was probably around $1200 in the end, frame was ~$375. You can find those frames used for cheap, probably $200 or less.

completely doable....both my salsa vaya (stans wheels 3t cockpit and full apex) and misfit dissent (1450gr stans wheelset and tower pro fork) were built for under 2k and neither skimps on the parts build even slightly, you just have to live the cheapskate lifestyle, meaning if you are accustomed to living frugally in other areas of your life and scouring for discounts and deals constantly and don't the a specific part RIGHT NOW, it's not that hard to do

I could do this no problem. For new: Left over ht 29er frame, deore/slx build kit, grab someone's new takeoff fork from Craig or Ebay. average-guy wheels. New deore/slx stuff works really well If you're on a budget, if you don't agree then you haven't used it.

In reality: I would just hunt the interweb for something lightly used.

927d08eaad63a6b345c02a01bfcb71fa.jpg

all depends; how good are you with a wrench? you will not receive any support from your bike shop on it. also if it goes down, do you have a back up? a shop would do everything they could to get you back on your bike, even a demo one, if they could.

i know plenty people who have these chinese frames and i haven't seen any of them fail.

Turner is blowing out 5-Spot frames for $900. Since its 26" and therefore no longer cool, you could probably call up and knock some more $$$ off. Could probably build the rest of the bike up from flea-bay deals and keep it close to $2k.

So the Chinese carbon stuff holds up? Not sure I would ever take the gamble but def curious how they are quality wise

There is a hundred-plus page thread on MTBR on 27.5 Chinese Carbon frames - very few complaints and even fewer with breakage issues. Several manufacturers stood out as better quality including Flyxxi. I had no issues during the build process and so far none at all on trail. You have to keep in mind that most of these Hong Kong manufacturers construct bikes for major brands but offer in-house, open-mold frames to the general public that are damn near as nice - or identical - to those "branded" frames.

Back
Top Bottom