Humpty Dumpty goes to Six Mile

ilnadi

Well, since I signed up for that race (to force me to train) in 4 weeks and I have not ridden single track in two years, I needed to get off the road. I decided to take advantage of the weather yesterday, cleaned up and adjusted the FS which had been sitting idle, headed out to 6mi, returned home to get the shoes I forgot and finally made it there.

I started from the 27 parking lot and the first couple of miles was slow and tentative. I found myself braking on every curve and killing any momentum I had. But I managed to keep going, cleared most things in my path and stayed upright till Middlebush road. I hit 3 miles on the other side of the road and decided 6 miles was enough for a first single-track ride and turned around. The way back was a bit more flow-ey. On the way out I had crossed this little wooden bridge sitting in a creek with no issue so I did not give it enough respect on the way back. Turns out there is a mud hole between the bridge and the bank coming back, which caught my front wheel but I manage to cross the bridge with my belly on the handle bars and crashed to the other side. I few scratches but I stayed dry. I got a scratch from the bushes on the other side so now I am planning what kind of beer to buy on the way home to celebrate "first blood".

about 1/2 mi from the 27 lot I was going down a small steep-ish hill when the bike slid to the right and the tires got between the trail and the trees marking the edge. Now this is where the rusty comes in. Instead of reacting I remember thinking what I would normally do. Well, the front wheel stopped, I went over the handle bars and slammed on my left shoulder (the one that is NOT separated) and ribs.

AN interesting side note: On the few occasions I fell on my ribcage and could not breathe, I found out I could by bellowing at the top of my lungs. I guess something about using your diaphragm instead of ribs to breathe. It works but kinda unnerving for the people around, which there were none of this time.

After surveying the old and now battered body and waiting for the pain to become tolerable I got up and found out I could walk. Of course I have a huge cramp in my left leg by this time so I am limping too. Managed to get back to the car and by now I am thinking I broke my collar bone because it really hurts when I touch it.

Off to the hospital. I decided to drive back home and go to the nearest ER in case they tell me I should not be driving :rolleyes:. North Hunterdon was pretty quick, I got out of there including X-rays in about 2 hours. Turns out I cracked a rib and just "hurt" my shoulder (I suspect something inside is a bit torn but all the bones are in place).

Post-mortem:
  • Six mile is a really nice trail, I wish I did not have to wait 5-6 weeks to go back. Kudos to the TM team.
  • I guess rusty requires sloow to give the brain time to think instead of just reacting
  • I am watching TV in the blissful fog of percoset, at least I am functioning.
  • Along with my knee, shorts and shoulder, my helmet had a healthy dose of dirt on/in it. Tell your friends who don't like helmets.
  • You can get road-rash from dirt

Last edited:
I had some of the same experiences allbeit not in the same day. I was a little gungho when I first got out MTB'n and f'ed up a few body parts. Now I go for fun, push the limits to my comfort zone and live by, "when in doubt...dismount. That's not to say I don't try harder or techy stuff. I just do it after careful inspection.

Man that must have been a long walk back to the car.Sounds like the spot I crashed last week and last April.Roots at the top of the hill sticker bushes at the bottom drop off to the right.My knee is still swollen,wrist is sore but I can ride.The mud from area 6 is impossible to get out of the shoes and clothes.Everything I wore that day is mud stained.Don't laugh,sneeze or cough and you will be ok.Feel Better!

Back
Top Bottom