how much creaking is acceptable

I installed a CK Bottom bracket in the spring and noticed some creaking in that area recently as well as in the headshok area. It's a carbon scalpel. I seems like it comes and goes with different weather (like my knees). Should I be concerned? I didn't face the BB shell because I don't have the tool. Should I go back and try and face it ?

I think it will do no harm as long as Bearing has no play in it. (and you don't ride in below freezing temps)
I like my bikes quiet and try to get rid of any creaking, which is hard to do sometime.
If I have a creaking Bottom Bracket, I wrap some Teflon Plumbers Tape on threads before installing it.
Good luck.

What you have been told is true. Pressed BB's are highly prone to creaking, probably even more so on carbon as the BB seat isn't as tight as alu ones to prevent cracking... I'm assuming. I believe the above poster is referring to threaded BB's. Threaded get creaks too, but nothing a re-grease won't usually fix. Speaking of which, I gotta do that one of my bikes soon...

Not necessarily a bad idea to put it back in with some assembly compound to stop the creaking. I believe Cannondale (or maybe it was Specialized) specifies a specific Loctite compound. Idea being, over time pressing in/punching out replacements, the shell loses the proper fit, leading to creaking.

You can check if it's actually the bottom bracket if you have a helper and a mechanic's stethoscope.

In and of itself, a creak is nothing to necessarily 'worry' about. I, however, try to find and fix any issues (creak, squeak, binding, etc) as soon as they present themselves so if/when the bike makes a foreign sound, I know about it immediately and avoid bigger issues.

I had the same BB in my Scalpel (also in my EVO). I suggest your purchase the BB30 CK injector tool and a grease gun. Pull it out, wipe it down, and clean and grease the BB shell. You should have no creaking. Check your Lefty clamps and make sure they are torqued to spec. Also check your seatpost.

My word is certainly not gospel on this subject, but in my experience - any creaking on a carbon bike (after a proper clean & lube of headset, seatpost, & BB) is a sign of a crack which is why 'none' is the appropriate answer.

If your press-in BB does not fit tightly, as mentioned above, a cylindrical bonding compound works wonders and is still serviceable. Loctite RC 680 & 620 do this (Green compounds), but I do not know their suitability on carbon frames.

My word is certainly not gospel on this subject, but in my experience - any creaking on a carbon bike (after a proper clean & lube of headset, seatpost, & BB) is a sign of a crack which is why 'none' is the appropriate answer.

Did a good inspection and found some cracks. Halters hooked me up with a warranty frame in record time!

Halter's is where I received my doctorate in broken carbon diagnosis. Just passing along the knowledge.

You're welcome :)

Back
Top Bottom