Gravel grinder?

Mic360

Im looking for trails that are ridable on a gravel grinder. I have a stock specialized diverge and I have been using it to ride on the road. I took it to the Columbia trail this week and loved taking it off road and have been looking up other places to go. I guess I'm just looking for smooth flat dirt. Here are a few I looked up and seem promising but I would like to get opinions from people who have been on them.

Patriots path. I have been here plenty of times in my mountain bike and I think it would be decent except in a few spots.

The Paulinskill Valley Trail
Sussex trail
D&R canal

Thanks

six mile run, when it is dry.
try the D&L tow path on the other side of the river
bet you could ride NOX on it.
stanton mt road - never mind, too many pot holes.

I've done D&R and Columbia a lot, also few times at 6MR and Patriots from Jockey Hollow to Lewis Morris. Patriots is really grown in some spots, not sure which parts you've been riding though. From work like to do the horse trails and gravel side roads in the Bedminster area. There's also the Raritan watershed nearby, private, but they let me in on my bikes . Personally like 6MR best for a more interesting and slow ride, but it puts a real beating on my wheels. D&R can be mind numbingly boring like riding through the Pinelands in South Jersey.

D&R can be mind numbingly boring like riding through the Pinelands in South Jersey.

It's all about the journey... Take in the critters, the local plants... And especially on the D&R, people watch. Some... interesting... people around the Princeton/Trenton area.

It's all about the journey... Take in the critters, the local plants... And especially on the D&R, people watch. Some... interesting... people around the Princeton/Trenton area.

Johnson trolly line....or whatever that is called down there.

yeah but from Bound Brook to Princeton is terrible, with the exception of dipping into 6MR
Actually towards New Brunswick isn't bad and you can also do the Eco Park. The bonus is the heroin mile across from Johnson Park :confused:

I know there is some longer distance gravel riding up by the Delaware river, north western jersey border. There is even a gravel century done in the area. Also I know some guys in the city take the train up into New York (Poughkeepsie I think) and do some long mixed rides. Obviously not convenient but much more mileage.

I know there is some longer distance gravel riding up by the Delaware river, north western jersey border. There is even a gravel century done in the area. Also I know some guys in the city take the train up into New York (Poughkeepsie I think) and do some long mixed rides. Obviously not convenient but much more mileage.
that's the DnR from Trenton to Frenchtown, never done it but seems nice
do you have a cue sheet for the gravel century?

Many of the wildlife management areas listed as "parks" on this site are just flat, straight dirt roads, tho some are more like double track:

Black River Wildlife Management Area
Colombia trail
Patriots Path
Capoolong Wildlife Management Area

One exception to this rule is Wildcat Ridge WMA - whole different ballgame

yeah but from Bound Brook to Princeton is terrible, with the exception of dipping into 6MR
Actually towards New Brunswick isn't bad and you can also do the Eco Park. The bonus is the heroin mile across from Johnson Park :confused:

Go faster and it's more interesting. The sections change pretty dramatically from BB to Trenton.

Reactions: rlb
Thanks everyone for the replies I'm going to do some more research on everything posted. I ended up getting hurt at work today and will probably be off the bike for a week or two so I will have sometime Google them all. Another question what's a good time pressure to run on these trails? I have 28cc tires and I have been running them around 90 to 100 psi on the road, I weigh about 220.

This is a tricky question, usually experimentation is the only way to answers. Your rim width will make a difference, wider rims will let you go a little lower with the pressure. And how sturdy your tires are.

At 180 I can get away with maybe 50 front 60 rear before things get sketchy with 28s

Back
Top Bottom