Going Long and Hard.

Yup Glenn has got it. Jim's car is Gasoline Direct Injection - like modern era diesels it injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber - which requires extremely high pressure to inject against the cylinder pressure from combustion.

It has lots of benefits from a performance and emissions standpoint - but some drawbacks from a maintenance viewpoint - specifically the cam follow as identified and intake valves getting gunked up with carbon.

It's the wave of current technology as automakers go to 4cyl turbo motors as the powertrain of choice.

We tried this once in the early 80's, turbo everything! it didn't stick. Well not with direct injection.
1979-1984 mustang GT's were turbo 4cyl as an option. Turns out the v8 gets better gas mileage.
My stupid turbo galant gets 17mpg but a 600hp corvette gets 30+mpg.
Maybe with direct injection it's better, the turbos are getting WAAAAAY smaller than they were in the 80s. Maybe there is hope.
I'm pretty sure most other direct injection cars just use an electric fuel pump. But with VW it's probably a good idea to eliminate anything that has wires plugged into it if you can.

Yup Glenn has got it. Jim's car is Gasoline Direct Injection - like modern era diesels it injects the fuel directly into the combustion chamber - which requires extremely high pressure to inject against the cylinder pressure from combustion.

It has lots of benefits from a performance and emissions standpoint - but some drawbacks from a maintenance viewpoint - specifically the cam follow as identified and intake valves getting gunked up with carbon.

It's the wave of current technology as automakers go to 4cyl turbo motors as the powertrain of choice.

Neat!

11169073_10206727145839229_3147586325784211034_n.jpg

Today it was raining. I got very wet on my ride into work. The GTI is done so my wife came to get me so I could pick it up. Felt nice to cruise home in that thing after a month!! I will probably drive it to work everyday this week now and plummet in the Bike Challenge but that's OK. They reset it every month so it's not cumulative.

11169073_10206727145839229_3147586325784211034_n.jpg

Today it was raining. I got very wet on my ride into work. The GTI is done so my wife came to get me so I could pick it up. Felt nice to cruise home in that thing after a month!! I will probably drive it to work everyday this week now and plummet in the Bike Challenge but that's OK. They reset it every month so it's not cumulative.
Jim, what kind of fenders are on the Surly? looking for something which would fit a mixte Univega

We've already run into problems with those (a couple VW's, Mini's, the GM 3.6) so what's the solution? Tear down the engine, some type of de-gunk? The GM 3.6's we've seen have an incredible amount of gack on the intake valves. All the mentioned vehicle developed misfire issues due to the valves not closing. It looks like quite the mess looming on the horizon...

View attachment 22489

Commute was a lot faster and dryer this morning.

That's a way faster commute - car looks great Jim.

In regards to the issues with Direct Injection - I don't want to take Jim's thread too far off course but I'll give a quick answer.

The "solution" for the first gen of DI cars is to literally remove the intake manifold and clean the "gunk" (Essentially carbon deposits) off.

Some newer generation cars actually have a combination of direct injection and port injection (injectors in the intake manifold ahead of the intake valves). The Port injection sprays fuel on the intake runners/valves and keeps them clean.

image.jpg

Here's something that I've had in the works and kept on the DL. Some of my oldskool friends will remember my obsession with this small California frame builder. I owned one of these back in the 90's. Like many of these small companies, Chris went out of business. A few years ago he started making frames again and I promptly paid for one and waited to obtain a frame. Well as luck would have it, Chris was going through a nasty divorce and once again went under, this time taking a boatload of my money with him. It sucked but at the time I got Sponsored by Seven and it all seemed like a wash. Skip ahead to a couple months ago, and Chris is updating his website and FaceBook and such of his new shop. I called and asked if he would honor my original deposit and he of course agreed, apologized, explained how insane women are, etc. Water under the bridge type stuff. He then made me this spectacular frame and sent me pictures this evening!! You can't tell but in my tradition, it's brown, or actually Rootbeer. It should arrive next week and I am very excited!!

@vlkslvr - thanks. That's what it looks like to us. Ugh.

Good deal Jim, you hear too many stories on Mtbr where guys ponied up big deposits and got hosed by someone working outta their garage. Glad to see this worked out.
Couldn't help it:D :

Last edited:
That's a way faster commute - car looks great Jim.

In regards to the issues with Direct Injection - I don't want to take Jim's thread too far off course but I'll give a quick answer.

The "solution" for the first gen of DI cars is to literally remove the intake manifold and clean the "gunk" (Essentially carbon deposits) off.

Some newer generation cars actually have a combination of direct injection and port injection (injectors in the intake manifold ahead of the intake valves). The Port injection sprays fuel on the intake runners/valves and keeps them clean.

Follow Redline speed works on Facebook. They seem like they do this on an Audi daily.

167530_1830904934339_2527492_n.jpg

1934779_1215567231281_2195590_n.jpg

224722_1060388431908_9393_n.jpg

#ThrowbackWednesday Circa '90 something. Now my bike is fat and I'm skinny. Glad to see my bike builds haven't changed too much in 20 years. Chris King, Thomson, debadged handbuilt wheelset. Lower stem these days, less gears, and wider 26" tires. Still rigid.

View attachment 22490

Here's something that I've had in the works and kept on the DL. Some of my oldskool friends will remember my obsession with this small California frame builder. I owned one of these back in the 90's. Like many of these small companies, Chris went out of business. A few years ago he started making frames again and I promptly paid for one and waited to obtain a frame. Well as luck would have it, Chris was going through a nasty divorce and once again went under, this time taking a boatload of my money with him. It sucked but at the time I got Sponsored by Seven and it all seemed like a wash. Skip ahead to a couple months ago, and Chris is updating his website and FaceBook and such of his new shop. I called and asked if he would honor my original deposit and he of course agreed, apologized, explained how insane women are, etc. Water under the bridge type stuff. He then made me this spectacular frame and sent me pictures this evening!! You can't tell but in my tradition, it's brown, or actually Rootbeer. It should arrive next week and I am very excited!!

the tube angles are interesting or perhaps just the angle of the shot, what type of bike will this be?
what tubeset is that built with?

Nice, another Kelly. I'm stoked to hear he's doing frames again, I always dug that green Kelly you had.

I got some more teaser shots from Chris this morning. God damn does that color look good!!

11423614_10206740868782294_4808040064349164683_o.jpg

11334197_10206740830381334_329995643379624127_o.jpg

11337060_10206740830261331_2522457564539639000_o.jpg

11312656_10206740830101327_5167878877001741401_o.jpg

the tube angles are interesting or perhaps just the angle of the shot, what type of bike will this be?
what tubeset is that built with?

It's a traditional road frame. Probably looks weird because I ride a Small. It's built with a True Temper OX Platinum tubeset.

Back
Top Bottom