Give me your opinion - the good the bad and the ugly

Fat bikes are fun. Traction is unreal. You can relax a lot more compared to the skinny bike.

If you go that route buy a lighter one. Keep the tires thinner (4" or so).

Not the most fun at Sourlands but a ton of fun at Six Mile.

You should be able to score a deal on one being it is summer and everyone is enjoying the 27.5+ Kewlaid.

If you want a 29er buyer my El Mariachi, I will probably buy it back from you in a few months if you don't like it.

Fat bikes are fun. Traction is unreal. You can relax a lot more compared to the skinny bike.

If you go that route buy a lighter one. Keep the tires thinner (4" or so).

Not the most fun at Sourlands but a ton of fun at Six Mile.

You should be able to score a deal on one being it is summer and everyone is enjoying the 27.5+ Kewlaid.

If you want a 29er buyer my El Mariachi, I will probably buy it back from you in a few months if you don't like it.
How has your fat bike been lately?

@ktmrider has about 3 Dh KOMs in DP that nobody has beaten. 3 years standing on his fat bike. I tried on my sled and a real world cup top 10er who tried did not meet the mark. If you dont know Marico then go home. I can from real experience tell you that you can slay the tech easier then anything over other wheel platform in xc with fat or plus. Weenie dogs are always gonna say it's faster because they train. Fact is bike skills win over everything.

Everyone is right. Just to completely screw you all up about trends, here's my S-Works set-up with 27.5+wheels and Single Speed 2 years ago. It's basically the same as the Timberjack I'm riding now. I've always run 2 completely different set-ups during winter and summer I just couldn't afford 2 bikes at the time.

FB_IMG_1499996023165.jpg

I still can't believe people even care what bike someone else owns. Nobody gives a fuck. Ride whatever makes you ride more.
you're doing it wrong. stop having fun on your bike. it's all about intervals and telling everyone else their bike is shitty.

so i started thinking about fat bikes and need to either be talked off the ledge or given a funnel and a gallon of the kool aid. tell me your likes/dislikes/pros/cons. i'd love to hear from peeps that have had a fat bike for a while now - especially as their only dirt ride - so the new bike stoke is loooong gone and reality has officially set in... but anyone who rides a fatty or left their fatty to never come back chime in plz.

Ok in between all the chatter here I wanted to bring this out and kind of give you some stuff to think about. In the non-quoted part of the post you mention never being comfortable and with your size, I would venture a guess that you're probably always struggled with bikes & bike fits. The guys who fit you at the shop probably have no idea what to do with a guy your size so going in for a fitting is not necessarily going to remedy that issue. The fact we have so few guys your size also makes trying another bike next to impossible. I know we have 3 guys in your stratosphere (@bozizle & @seanrunnette) so maybe you want to toss something out to them to ask how they approach/deal with bike fit issues and finding new bikes to try/demo/buy.

I am not going to jump on the LOVE/HATE bandwagon for any bike. What I would say if you were to invite me to be your spiritual advisor is that you probably need to try a bunch of bikes out. To me, you are saying that you want one bike to cover both Six Mile and Sourlands but to me this is an impossible ask from a single-point-of-bike purchase. Either your bike is going to do well with Sourlands, or it'll do well with Six Mile, and it'll have to handle the other park.

Personally I would keep the existing bike for Six Mile and buy a bike for the Sourlands. Because the bike you buy for the Sourlands will likely translate to CR, or really anything generally north. I also feel like maximizing a bike for Six Mile is like designing your kitchen to bake nothing but pecan pies.

And here is another reality I see here. You're a 6-4 guy who rides a 26" mountain bike and a SS on the road for how many years now? Your likes/dislikes are not going to align with anyone on this board. So even if Matty loves his and Johnny ditched his and JimN loves his but may buy something else, I don't think your preference profile is going to align with anyone here. I guess what I want to say is that you should let the opinions here add a 5-10% influence on your decision, at most. But I would highly encourage you to try and ride something for a little bit as a demo. I know, I know, getting a demo fat bike XL full-suspension bike to try isn't exactly easy. But I would encourage you to see what you can do and try a bunch of different bikes at these places and try to form an opinion that way.

Oh and buy a bike with gears for the road.

Back
Top Bottom