FTB ride in MUD

njkayaker

Had a very muddy FTB ride at KVSP today. muddiest ride I have ever done. I don't think a standard MTB would of been able to ride it. to make things worse a bunch of people were riding horses and chewing up the trails bad. my derailleurs, chain and sprockets were caked with mud. took a while to wash it all off. good time. I am looking forward to cold and freezing the trails back up again.

Last edited:
I was at Mahlon, stayed north west - higher elevation - and not muddy. My Farley didn't look anything like that after the ride!

Had a pinch flat and finally got to answer the question "how many 16g cartridges to fill a fat tube" - the answer is 3-ish. The first 2 fully unloaded ok and the third had a slight misfire (user difficulty) so 2.5 got me to about 7 psi. Need to get some higher capacity stuff.

Had a very muddy FTB ride at KVSP today. muddiest ride I have ever done. I don't think a standard MTB would of been able to ride it. to make things worse a bunch of people were riding horses and chewing up the trails bad. my derailleurs, chain and sprockets were caked with mud. took a while to wash it all off. good time. I am looking forward to cold and freezing the trails back up again.

I raced at KVSP about 5 years ago in the rain and snow. Probably the muddiest ride I've ever ridden and we did it on 26" wheels. Quite an experience. One that I would not want to repeat.

Please use some common sense and stay off the trails until they firm up. Just because it's a warm day - don't go out and damage the trails. I love to ride my bike as well but you can do a lot of damage for a little fun. With that being said I guess I'll have a lot of trail maintenance to do at KVSP this year :x

Please use some common sense and stay off the trails until they firm up. Just because it's a warm day - don't go out and damage the trails. I love to ride my bike as well but you can do a lot of damage for a little fun. With that being said I guess I'll have a lot of trail maintenance to do at KVSP this year :x

Understood but I'm not sure I agree that common sense means stay off all trails. There are many trails in hilly northwest NJ that drain quickly with lots of rocks and no harm done. On Sunday I stayed away from park areas in mahlon that I know are soft. I had fun and did no damage. Best of both worlds.

There are very few trails that will be in good condition right now. I just hate to hear of others out riding on the mud doing damge when the mtb community as a whole gets blamed for wrecking the trails when it's only a few that do it. Just be careful and use your common sense and get out if it gets too muddy. Don't overestimate riding the mtb on the road if need be. They still work if you don't ride on dirt :). I cringed as I rode past Lewis Morris Sunday and saw lots of cars with racks there.

With a fatty it's very easy to ride off-road when conditions are terrible without destroying single track. Try exploring train tracks, jeep trails, power lines, water front, etc. Even I've hung my fat bike for the time being...

-Jim.

did you not read that horse back riders already tore up the trails. my fatty just smoothed down all those horse shoe prints. you're welcome. i understand your point. hope for frozen trails by the weekend.

I raced at KVSP about 5 years ago in the rain and snow. Probably the muddiest ride I've ever ridden and we did it on 26" wheels. Quite an experience. One that I would not want to repeat.

DO they cancel races when conditions are bad ?

I was at Mahlon, stayed north west - higher elevation - and not muddy. My Farley didn't look anything like that after the ride!

Had a pinch flat and finally got to answer the question "how many 16g cartridges to fill a fat tube" - the answer is 3-ish. The first 2 fully unloaded ok and the third had a slight misfire (user difficulty) so 2.5 got me to about 7 psi. Need to get some higher capacity stuff.

I usually blow up the tube with my mouth to start it out and give it a little shape. It's like blowing up an inflatable raft. After that, usually one one cartridge is needed to seat the bead and ride away.

T I cringed as I rode past Lewis Morris Sunday and saw lots of cars with racks there.

Sadly, they also held a trail running race there and that chewed up the trails big time...guess who gets to fix them :(. I took the weekend off the bike, took care of stuff around the house.

PS>..I still gotta come up and get the stem/post....I'll PM you later. ;)

Fat Bikes

From what I'm reading here I just shake my head. My 2 cents is load your bike, your gear and yourself go down somewhere in the Wharton area. When it's wet, sand and pine needles are the way to go. Ho, you will get lost in some of the puddles!

DO they cancel races when conditions are bad ?

Normally they don't. In recent years they have but that spelled the end for the race. Take the 24 Hours of Allamuchy Conditions got so bad they stopped the race in the middle. That was the last year that it was held.

Back
Top Bottom