From the rains of Britain to the snow of America...

witica

Hey everyone

I've just moved to the US from the UK and I am looking to get fully into the biking scene as soon as possible (aka as soon as the snow melts, I don't have a fat bike...yet).

I live in Queens and work in NYC (sub-optimal, I know), but I have a car and will look to get away every weekend. So will be more than happy to ride share if anyone is interested.

I mostly "mountain bike", but I also race DH and enduro, and would like to give a few XC races a go.

I've done a fair bit of research on the areas to ride, but google can only tell you so much. I've been to Mountain Creek a few times in the past and have checked out Cunningham on foot. I would love to explore the natural trails too. Where would you suggest as a starter; I particularly like the steep and technical stuff.

I look forward to hitting the trails with some of you guys!

Welcome to the colonies.

No need to wait until spring. No fat bike necessary to ride trails this time of year. When the snow is right it can be quite fun.

Jungle Habitat is a little over an hour from you sans traffic and has the tech you might be looking for. Check the trail directory above.

why did you come here?

can you give 5 reasons why US is better than UK? or vice versa?

is usa all it has been hyped up to be?

Jungle Habitat sounds amazing! Are any theme park related things left? What about the "1,500" animals? Are there any tigers?

Why did I come...well my girlfriend made me move (she's from LI originally).

The best things I've discovered about the US so far are that the portion sizes are massive and that you can drive to the other end of the country for the same price (in gas) as you can drive to the end of your driveway back home.

However, in the UK I did have 7 national level bike parks within 3hrs drive of my house, plus countless other mountains and trail centers.

Why did I move again...?

Was it super techy or really flowy?

you can still find some tigers if you look hard enough

Jungle Habitat sounds amazing! Are any theme park related things left? What about the "1,500" animals? Are there any tigers?

Why did I come...well my girlfriend made me move (she's from LI originally).

The best things I've discovered about the US so far are that the portion sizes are massive and that you can drive to the other end of the country for the same price (in gas) as you can drive to the end of your driveway back home.

However, in the UK I did have 7 national level bike parks within 3hrs drive of my house, plus countless other mountains and trail centers.

Why did I move again...?

Welcome. Convince her to leave Long Island and come closer to the trails!

http://www.mtbnj.com/wiki/Category:Trail_Directory

Welcome! +1 for Jungle, definitely a fun place to ride. Haven't seen a tiger yet, but I saw a massive black bear as I was leaving one day. Looked like it may have consumed a few tigers.

Welcome! Creek will fulfill your needs but Mark calender for weekend to highlands in NH. Also Plattekill is a day trip with some of the best natural and steepest you will find. Local fun would be Blue mnt. Peekskill and the Sprain. Get friendly with fort Lee gang for secret trails.

Oh dear on the bear. I saw that film about the dude who thought he was friends with the bears and then one of them ate him and his girlfriend.

The trails back home are a big mix. The centers are flowy and built specifically for beginners with cafes and whatnot. The natural stuff varies greatly, but there's lots of steep and very technical riding. I reckon that's why we do so well in DH even though we've only got about 4 proper mountains!

Awesome advice thanks everyone.

One last question: is the best way to find riding buddies to post in the rides section (may be a stupid question), or is there a "secret way"?

Oh and another question...where is the best place to buy second hand bikes? I know pinkbike, ebay, a LBS and on here, but am I missing something as there doesn't seem to be that many around given the size of the country...

Sometimes you'll see members here post in 'Rides, Races and Events' or 'Trail Talk' saying they're riding. Some bike shops also host group rides which you can probably find on their respective Facebook pages, etc. Off site, a good place to check would be Meetup. People post a time and place and people and you can RSVP for it just so the organizer can get an idea of how many will show. Here are two group pages I've been out with before:
http://www.meetup.com/njmountainbiking/
http://www.meetup.com/TSWMTB

There's just not as much action in the Winter, in groups at least, but you'll see stuff all the time when it starts to get warmer.

Check out the classified board here, there's a few up for sale at the moment

I'm in NYC. Moved there from NJ. When you ready to explore some trials I might be able to help.

You should check out the crits in Brooklyn. From what I hear it's a ball.

There's some riding on long island, I think there's a decent pump track out there too. Plus there are trails in Queens.

Sprain and Peekskill are probably the closest good riding areas to you. Ringwood, jungle, Wawayanda, creek, etc are all pretty close.

Kingdom trails in VT is a fun trip as is highlands.

Mountain creek has good XC trails too and a single ride lift ticket is only $7 (less with jorba membership). Thursday nights in the summer team town cycle runs a group ride there that's a lot of fun. I ride in the back making fun of people as I puke.

Oh and another question...where is the best place to buy second hand bikes? I know pinkbike, ebay, a LBS and on here, but am I missing something as there doesn't seem to be that many around given the size of the country...

The only one you're missing there is Craigslist.

I think you will enjoy Northern NJ XC trails. They are quite technical even compared to the rest of the country. Ramapo, Ringwood, Jungle and Waway.

As others have said Sprain and Blue Mountain in Peekskill are high on the tech factor as well.

All of the Long Island trails are smooth and flowy. Think Cunningham, but longer, more secluded and w/o the pump tracks. Cunningham is not bad for where it is.

welcome to the us and welcome to mtbnj. north jersey and new york has some fun techy single track. post up when lookin for a tour, some one usually answers the call. also, keep your eyes open for rides being posted.

I'm in NYC. Moved there from NJ. When you ready to explore some trials I might be able to help.

take robson up on this. when i was ready to explore he was able to help me.

good to see you back mr. marek.

Trails have been covered pretty well. You'll love North Jerz trails. Hook up with CLIMB on Facebook for Long Island info, good peeps out there and the island has a lot of great trails. NOrtheast bicycle classifieds and online swap meet are some used bike groups on Facebook.

Thanks everyone for the tips! Can't wait to get out.

Robson, I'll take you up on that offer as soon as I get set up. Shouldn't be too long.

Back
Top Bottom