French Creek 2018

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I saw a bunch of folks from the board were out at French Creek this past Saturday, so let's hear some race recaps!

I kind of decided to go to this race on the spur of the moment Friday afternoon. That's probably not a great way to put your best foot forward for a good result, but whatever. I woke up at about 5:30 am on Saturday and could hear the rain pounding on the window next to my bed. I briefly considered bagging it, but upon the urging of my (perpetually) hungry cat, I got up anyway. Pawsby fed, I checked the weather and saw that the storm was a very narrow band that had already passed through Elverson (where FC Park is) so I went downstairs and decided once and for all that I would go. But I made one concession to crappy weather and changed my cog on the Moots from a 19 to a 20. I'd done this race many times in the past and knew that FC wet can make for a difficult day.

I drove out to the venue through one brutal downpour and questioned why I was doing this over and over. I got to FC, and signed up day-of for a very odd fee of $67 (was $66.89 not allowed?) Then I kitted up and dropped my tiny little cooler with just three extra bottles and Clif bar along the finishing chute (since I regularly do four hour rides with only two bottles, I figured five total was probably more than I'd ever need, especially considering it was like maybe 55 degrees tops.) After that I rode around a bit and chatted with a few folks, including @Norm , @seanrunnette and @Dominique. I spoke to a few other folks I knew - Chris from Baltimore, Sean from Reading, and one or two others. Then it was time to line up.

The start was a mass start of all endurance classes. Someone in front of me stumbled jon the start, and I jumped to chase back to the lead group when I got going again but found myself in a really weird no man's land. I mean, we were less than a quarter mile into the race and there was a group of about 10 about 30 yards up the road and when I turned around, the others were probably 30 yards behind me. I felt so alone.

I did catch up to the back of the lead group on the drops after the climb, but that wasn't any effort on my part - the drops were a shit show: super slick mud below foot-high water bar drops followed by a 180 degree right turn at the bottom. I later heard from a guy in the lot after the race that a few of the racers crashed really badly there over the course of the day and I'm not surprised. That was the one part of the course I would say they may have been able to cut out due to weather, but overall it wasn't that bad -- you just really couldn't let loose down that chute or you could get pretty messed up. And if cutting it out meant re-routing any other part of the course, then I'm good with leaving it in .

Overall, this was my all-time favorite FC course. The old endurance course was much longer - like 15 mile laps. That was okay for a 6 hour race, but for a 4 hour that would have been too long. And brutal.

I kind of settled into my "forever pace" soon into the first lap and just rode that way all day. Nothing special. I had a lot of fun riding, but I just didn't have the mentality to go harder on Saturday. I rode it like I would be out there for 12 hours, but since the race was actually just four hours, I would have had to do better to compete. I ultimately finished fourth, missing the chance for a sixth lap by just a couple of minutes. Meh. I was fine with that. As it turns out, if I had just a little more competitiveness, I maybe could have been in the running for a podium spot - Both 2nd and 3rd crossed the line at right around 4 hours, so if I could have gotten more out of my old bones, I may have had a better shot. But I was fine with being done when I was. In fact, I really only had one moment of feeling "competitive" all day -- early in my third lap, I got stuck behind one of the Cat 2 classes and had to pick my way through them on the first long climb. By the time I reached the top, I had two guys on my wheel and one of them kept saying they needed to pass. So I gave them a lone but they couldn't bridge. So I continued to ride and the guy says it again. So I give him a line again without slowing down and, again, he can't bridge. So I was like "screw this" since we were approaching some of the more technical descent sections. So I picked up my pace and charged through the descents. I knew if they caught me there, I'd have to move since they were both on FS bikes and I'm not going to hold up someone from having that kind of fun on those descents. But they never did. In fact, I actually dropped both of them on my hardtail. After that I just rode hard for a bit so they wouldn't get back on and I never saw them again. Eventually, though, that wore off and I returned to my previous "just riding bikes in the muddy woods" mentality. In the end, I rolled across the line with five laps and was home before 4:00. Aside from the massive bike cleanup I (still) have to do, it was a pretty ideal race day scenario time-wise.

41388194644_c5291e787a_b.jpg

41207021455_394491e992_b.jpg

I look a lot angrier than I really am here ... and about half as muddy ...

Good seeing you out there. You came through as Cat 2 was taking off, and then you proceeded to pass me about a minute later on the gravel climb, lol. Super fun course for sure, and if they keep it the same, I'll probably be back again. Too bad it's so far or I'd try to ride it a few times a year for fun. I don't have much of a recap, but I felt pretty good on the bike and controlled the bike pretty well all day despite the slick conditions and fighting some kind of cold.

I can't believe I missed seeing some of you! I was on dad-duty... got there around 12:00 and went down to the lower lot then hung out there with the kids after seeing Serena off at 1PM.

20180512_130015.jpg

Had a good view of the final stretch.

Screenshot_20180512-141323.jpg

20180512_225101.jpg

Ate sandwiches

20180512_133006.jpg

She's writing a short race recap for her team. Will post a link when it's up. :)

Great re-cap @1speed . Been a few years since I've done XC at French Creek. Did Endurance in '15 and '16, but slacked off my training this year, so XC it is. As I was staged with the Cat2's, saw you coming by and yelled some encouragement. Started with about a dozen Clydesdales and was probably 5th or 6th through the sloppy chute. Settled in for the 1st rocky climb and caught 2 guys right before the next rocky descent. Got caught by the faster 50-59 and 60+ riders right at the base of the Nemesis Climb. After the hike-a-bike and riding again, noticed that my rear brake was feeling squishy and it only got worse. Spent the rest of the day squeezing the brake lever to build up pressure, but it wasn't enough. Had to ride front wheel braking all the descents on the 2nd lap. Just before the last technical switch back descent, 1 of the riders I'd passed earlier caught me and I couldn't make up any time after timidly riding the descent. Finished in 4th on the day.

Saw @Norm and @seanrunnette make their way through start/finish area a few times and cheered them on. Met @Dominique with Norm and Sean while they were waiting for Cat2 podiums. You guys will enjoy Rothrock. Cheered on @Mountain Bike Mike during Cat1. Watched @pooriggy have a great day on the SS, and chatted with him and shared some beverages afterwards.

If you want more rocks, Bear Creek XC Challenge is on 6/3. https://www.bikereg.com/38121

After the hike-a-bike and riding again, noticed that my rear brake was feeling squishy and it only got worse. Spent the rest of the day squeezing the brake lever to build up pressure, but it wasn't enough. Had to ride front wheel braking all the descents on the 2nd lap.

:eek::eek: I can't imagine riding that course with only a front brake - that last descent before you popped out at the dam alone would have made me cry if all I had was a front brake, not to mention the pile of infantile sobs I'd be going down the drop-offs in the peanut butter mud. I'm amazed you even did a second lap with that going on. Well done!

:eek::eek: I can't imagine riding that course with only a front brake - that last descent before you popped out at the dam alone would have made me cry if all I had was a front brake, not to mention the pile of infantile sobs I'd be going down the drop-offs in the peanut butter mud. I'm amazed you even did a second lap with that going on. Well done!

That descent was the scariest, by that time 20 rapid pulls of the lever got some stopping power but not much. Having a dropper post helped too. Just so happened the photographer was there as well and got the look on my face.

A long time ago, before I was cured of being a roadie prick, I registered for Battenkill. A friend of mine who is KOM of the one hour trainer ride said to me: “But, that’s a bike race.” I didn’t expect much, but finished 8/37 in my first go, proving that some roadies suck more or train less than me.

When I realized that there were no H2H races in May that I could use to fill the hole in my schedule to “race myself into shape”, I noticed French Creek on the MASS calendar. What is the worst that could happen? Still, I had never been to a MASS event and French Creek is one of their gnarliest tracks.

None of the usual hecklers from the team I ride with sometime were going and the park is two hours away. Over the course of the last three years, my client 38 minutes away gave me many opportunities to ride the course, but, regretfully, I never made it out there so didn’t know the course. When you are battling to not be DFL, local knowledge is not that important.

I got to the parking lot an hour and five minutes before the race start, which is perfect. Number, bathroom, kit up, nutrition, stage. Saw the mtbnj crowd at the staging area and @Norm and @seanrunette come through lap 2. Told @Dominique not to pass me in the first minute of the race, cuz she was starting six minutes behind. Saw @1sh0t1b33r, who must have the most devoted SO of all time. If I asked my wife to drive four hours to a bike race when it is 56 degrees and cloudy, she would rip me a sarcastic new one.

Only 12/13 registrants staged for the +60 race. Problem is that it is CAT1 and 2, so the quality is above my just under Clydesdale weight. I didn’t know anyone in the race, where I would know usually four guys in the H2H 60+. Last thought before the start: This isn’t going to go well.

On the fire road uphill half mile, I pass two guys so I guess there is hope. Then we go down the muddy, series of one foot, rock water bar drops and I am glad the coach recommended the FS 666fattie over the Tallboy. My main objective being not to die during the race. The course is fairly technical, maybe an 8/10 in places, but mostly quite rideable.

I am coming up on a Clyde who was slowing at the top of one hill and just moving left around him, when someone behind me says something inaudible. Then I feel an arm and a bar on my left arm. When I first started to race MTB four years ago, I would have probably started to cry, but I am thinking: “Don’t try to make your problem, my problem.” and rode on. Though, a bit later I was mildly embarrassed that it was @Norm, @seanrunette and the third guy in their endurance grupetto (can I use my cycling Italian on an MTB forum?) when I let them by.

A bit later @Dominique passed me on the Nemesis climb. If you were never there, it is a climb that no one pedaled up. Too steep, too long, and too many foot high, rock water bars. I wonder if @woody could clean it or maybe Jeff Lenosky? My glasses had been fogging up for five minutes and I stopped to pocket them at the top.

Finally, @pooriggy passed me while I was walking one section. I told him after the race that it was the second time in two races he had done that.

During the second lap, I got into a rap battle on Nemesis with some dude who I thought was in my race, as well as some Clyde who was there. Both were good guys and I tried to be at my docile best when it was my turn to be passed. The dude, who was probably in the 50+, was a more skilled rider, but he admitted that he was blown up. We each traded places for five miles until the last big climb, where they both disappeared.

I spent ten minutes at the finish talking to Brian Wilson (when was the last time you got to race a Beach Boy?) who finished sixth, three places in front of me. He is an experienced 62 year old MASS racer who happens to live in the same town as my sister-in-law. He retired and dropped about 40 lbs. in the last couple of years, which is probably what I should do to get more competitive. After a beer and clean up I skipped the tempting bacon cheeseburger to leave so I could have dinner with my wife.

Back
Top Bottom