Fluke fishing

RobW

Its the Hot season for fluking, who's jiggin? Who's dragging bait? Who's got a boat? Who Do you fish with when you go out? What's the best part of the day? Do you drink on the boat?
I get the idea that many anglers aren't here, prove me wrong?

I'd like to. I've only ever gone top water on some weedy ponds with my dad. It's relaxing, until you catch pickerel and have to take it off the hook.

Im a fresh water guy mostly lm but like to get some pike on the line also. I havent been out much this year because any free time I get I want to get out and ride. I would love to get into some salt water fishing just dont know where to start, and of course I rather spend that fishing gear money on bike gear at this point. my boat is a canoe with a trolling motor and i might have a few beers while im out there. I either fish alone or with one of my friends. I love throwing nice big spinners for the lm and pike or jigging some grubs for sm. All day out on the water is my favorite part of the day. I love just being out there on the water away from everyone and everything even if im not catching anything.

I kayak fish behind Isl Beach SP in the sedges. For fluke I mostly use a Bucktail/ Gulp combo. Its easy to use and no fuss/ no muss. Also do bluefish and stripers in the spring. Fish the beach in the fall, walking and plugging. If I can net fresh peanut bunker I will use them also.
Ed

Used to surf fish for fluke/striper when I had free time...don't do that anymore. Used Lucanus jigs/diamond jigs/bottom rigs and bait for both species, variety of poppers/swimmers otherwise. Used to catch a boatload of sea robins...pretty tasty, if you can get over the looks.

@Mic360 If interested, I could sell you a 9 foot pole (2 piece), older socorro reel (6000, I think?), Shimano surf fishing (shoulder) bag w/ a few rigs in it, and a homemade rod holder for the beach (pvc/angle aluminum/stainless). If you were looking to start out saltwater, I would look for a similar setup. Good for fishing in the bay, too, though from a boat, spinners can be light on drag, line, or both.

I used to be an avid fluke fisher woman. Mostly on a party boat. At any given time I'd fish live killies, spearing and sometimes with squid. Crabs would pick at the squid, so I abandoned that after a while. Sometimes we'd cast out a net at the dock and catch bigger "live" bait before we went out, but I can't remember what it was. The perks of being friendly with the mates.

I preferred the party boat because I could only take fluke and sea robins off the hook. I couldn't get bluefish, skates or dogfish off the hook easily by myself. Plus I liked entering the pool to make it more of a competition. I ate a lot of fish back then and would bring so much home at times I'd have to give it away.

This is not a fish story.... The biggest fluke I ever caught was around 13lbs. It was a beautiful doormat and beat out my previous biggest that was 11lbs. That day I had a lock on the pool and then with 10 minutes before the boat went back in someone caught a 14lb doormat and took my joy and my pool money. I lost out on over $200 that day.

I've since parted with all my gear over the years. I had a couple really nice rods with pricey reels. I lost interest after a while I guess. I also used to fish off the shore for bluefish, but I don't really eat them so I gave up on that too.

I figure it's something that I'll take up again when I'm older and less interested in bikes.

Its the Hot season for fluking, who's jiggin? Who's dragging bait? Who's got a boat? Who Do you fish with when you go out? What's the best part of the day? Do you drink on the boat?
I get the idea that many anglers aren't here, prove me wrong?

I heard fluking is really good this year - people actually limiting out. I guess years of regs on keeping bigger fish is paying off. When I had a boat (got wrecked on the parkway last summer) we went out of atlantic highlands and fluked off the tip of sandy hook. We'd drift over the channel for the bigger ones, towards the beach for smaller. Gillies and gulp minnows worked best. And beer in the boat - of course!

And fresh water fishing too. Do an annual trip late september with the guys on the English/Winnipeg rivers ~ 200 miles north of International Falls. My biggest pike yet from Canada (a hair under 40 in):

full

@rick81721 really nice fish there. My biggest pike was between 36 and 37 inches and came out of the Passaic river. I only c&r and the Passaic is actually a great fishery. Heard some reports of eyes on the Passaic lately but have yet to see proof.

@wschruba I appreciate the offer but honestly at this point of my life if would just be a waists of money for me to pick up more fishing gear. My hobby time has been so sparse.

Going down to obx next week at least I'm going to try to get some crabbing in.

@rick81721 really nice fish there. My biggest pike was between 36 and 37 inches and came out of the Passaic river. I only c&r and the Passaic is actually a great fishery. Heard some reports of eyes on the Passaic lately but have yet

Passaic eh? Whereabouts do you go? I'd like to try some pike fishing and walleye too. That's the main fish we catch in canada. Biggest I ever saw caught was 31 in, tho my biggest is 27. We release all big fish (eyes 18 and over, pike bigger than 28). Smallies are coming back too, nice copper colored footballs

I am hoping to do some shore fishing for stripers during the fall. The open ocean scares me, even on the kayak I am afraid of my shadows.

@rick81721 I have fished all of the Passaic pretty much. Less of the brackish water even though I live so close it just upsets my stomach looking at it. But I have caught fish anywhere from the dam and up until you hit river road in Chatham (they stock trout up here).

I have caught pike , small mouth ( most 20 to 30 in), large mouth (always on the smaller side), cats (not my thing), and perch (not many). They stocked it with pike supposedly to get rid of some of the carp that were taking over.

My favorite spots are near two bridges. Don't go there for eyes I have only heard of a few people ever catching them and they were always said to be small. There are better places in jersey for that. Send me a pm if your interested.

Too busy fishing for smallmouth and brookies up in VT right now. However some deep-fried fluke on a sub roll with some remoulaide sauce is sounding pretty damn good right now.

I know a guy who catches pike almost the size of the one in ricks pic on the Passaic on the fly rod, mainly spring and fall. And he is using 12-14" streamers stripped in near the top. They're in there.

Yes fluke whenever possible. 24 Grady White. Boat's in Matawan Creek. Bucktails and Gulp. Bait too if it is what they want. Beer too.

Stripers spring and fall too.

Yes fluke whenever possible. 24 Grady White. Boat's in Matawan Creek. Bucktails and Gulp. Bait too if it is what they want. Beer too.

Stripers spring and fall too.
I've got gas money and bring good beer!!!

Reactions: w_b
I spent the better part of 10 summers fishing out of sheepshead bay with my dad for fluke, flounder, blues and weakfish. My kids never had the patience for ocean fishing. Fishing for Pogies off the back of the boat (docked) was the only part they ever enjoyed.

I miss that boat.

Where are the party boats in NJ for fluke?
Went a couple of times at Captree in LI and caught a decent amount but they were all undersized. They all had to be released.

Back
Top Bottom