"five boro bike tour "

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=111918795644281684884.0000011242d28f0ae0aeb

I think that's where we're looking to park, if not on the street.

Parking at the Ferry in SI has it's downside. You still have to wait for the Ferry in the morning, parking last year took forever (due to ONE slow guy taking the fee causing ALL the problems). Then after "finishing" the ride and going to the festival you have to ride back to the ferry on a bike path with WAY too many people for it.

By parking near the festival we get the path bike out in the morning. There may still be a ferry wait but parking in SI is going to have that issue no matter what. The wait in the morning is better than the wait in the afternoon.

I'm going with my friend who just had leg surgery if she can make it so it'll be a slow ride.

I'd be happy to meetup with any MTBNJ people.

-Steve

We're seriously considering parking at SI this year. Do you know exactly where we can park? I'll have my wife with me so we will be doing a relaxed ride.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=111918795644281684884.0000011242d28f0ae0aeb

I think that's where we're looking to park, if not on the street.

Parking at the Ferry in SI has it's downside. You still have to wait for the Ferry in the morning, parking last year took forever (due to ONE slow guy taking the fee causing ALL the problems). Then after "finishing" the ride and going to the festival you have to ride back to the ferry on a bike path with WAY too many people for it.

By parking near the festival we get the path bike out in the morning. There may still be a ferry wait but parking in SI is going to have that issue no matter what. The wait in the morning is better than the wait in the afternoon.

I'm going with my friend who just had leg surgery if she can make it so it'll be a slow ride.

I'd be happy to meetup with any MTBNJ people.

-Steve
What's the fee to park at the South Beach location?

What's the fee to park at the South Beach location?

No idea. Fee at the Ferry was pretty resonable. $1? $5?

I hear street parking is pretty easy at that time. You pretty much have to get there EARLY.

-Steve in NJ

No idea. Fee at the Ferry was pretty resonable. $1? $5?

I hear street parking is pretty easy at that time. You pretty much have to get there EARLY.

-Steve in NJ
That's cool. We'll probably end up parking at the South Beach lot.

i have done this in the past and saw plenty of carnage from a guy taking a massive heart attack and dying to someone taking a header onto a concrete divider to a broken hip, ankle and plenty of side swipping, tire banging collisions. Good Times!!!

I am doing it this year with a couple friends. I would like to meet up with all you guys and just have a big group of us together. I think it would be fun. Keep me posted on what the plan is.............

I am doing it this year with a couple friends. I would like to meet up with all you guys and just have a big group of us together. I think it would be fun. Keep me posted on what the plan is.............
Hey Madness, whats up? My wife and I along with a ridding buddy from work are planning on parking at the South Beach lot in Staten Island. There will be others from this forum who will park there as well. With your crew I think we'll have a blast tearing up the 42 miles through the 5 Boros.

Sounds like it should be a fun time. We will have to pick an exact meetup place closer to the date.

WTB: 5 Boro Registration Needed

Hi folks. Not trying to hijack this thread but I just wanted to check if anyone has (or knows of ) someone who has registered and can't make the 5 Boro Tour this year. I have done the tour many times and have a friend flying out from San Jose to ride this year but I missed the registration (like an idiot). I would LOVE to purchase an entry (or 2) if anyone has an extra or cannot attend.

I can also offer some good advice for travel to & from the tour as well as some tips to make it less annoying at the start.

Just to share 8+ years experiences with ride, here's a few suggestions... It's cold in the morning & usually hot by the afternoon. Shorts, gloves & a windbreaker usually surfice. Bike-wise, semislick or slicks will make it much easier than knobbies on pavement obviously.

The start is humungous traffic jam of 40-50k cyclists with cross street auto traffic stops. I prefer to jump in on 8th Ave by MSG and save the 1-2 hour stop & go walkathon from Battery to Central Park.

Also, last year I finally got a little smarter and drove to Staten Island and took the (free) SI Ferry into Manahattan rather than taking my bike in on the train. MUCH Easier and you skip the 3 hour ferry wait lines and the end of the tour. If you train into NYC in the AM then end up on Staten Island in the PM you have to take the SI Ferry back to NYC, which drops you off in the Financial District (which is dead on Sundays & has very few pubs/restuarants/etc.) and you have to bike another 3-4 miles in city traffic back to Penn Station to sit on a train home. Mass transit adds 4-5 hours onto your day. Just my $0.02 on the tour logisitics.

Please PM or email me at bikelife2003 @ optonline (dot) net if you know of an available tour entry. Thanks for your time and have a Great ride. Cheers - Scott

Alright people, the 5 Boro Bike Tour is a week away so for those who want to ride together we will be at the South Street parking lot on Staten Island between 6:30 and 7:00 AM and then we'll be off to the ferry.

It's on the corner of Hunter Ave. and Seaside Blvd. (Father Capodanno Blvd.). Hope to see you all there.

Will more then happy to join you guys !!
crossing my fingers for a good weather ..
- Ron

Back
Top Bottom