Fat bikes? Plus bikes? Too many choices

So I rode the Beargrease at Wildcat today. Certain features were quite a bit easier than on the Heckler, but other stuff the wider BB really got in the way. I generally only ride Fat during the winter but this was pretty fun.
So.
Anyone with a plus bike have an opinion? Basically, if I could have a fun hardtail that can still do snow but is more versatile overall, that’d be pretty ideal.
Thoughts?

alright ill chime in here since i been down this road recently (last year actually). Last fall i bought myself a specialized fatboy setup with 4.8 (iirc) tires (full rigid) with the intent to keep it as an extra/snow/sand bike. I rode it exclusively in south jersey sand (mostly allaire) and in the fall i bought a stache (29+ hardtail) which i proceeded to ride everywhere i had previously ridden the fatbike. This winter i made apoint of riding the two of them back to back in the snow to gauge how they handled differently. My conclusion was that the fatbike isnt for me, i prefer the plus bike for numerous reasons (obviously its lighter, but that came to me later). Its more nimble, more versatile, more responsive and (IMO) more fun than the fatboy . . . .

obviously this is something you need to try out and figure for yourself, but i much prefer the stache to the fatboy. and have not noticed any issues with overall width on either bike (i do get occasional heel rub on the chainstays of my 27.5+ fuel, but thats unrelated).

I agree. I have three steel hardtails and they definitely seem to take the sting out.

I have only ever ridden steel frames and been firm believer in their superior ride quality. Enter my Fatboy last Summer and the fat tires apparently hide any negatives from the aluminum frame.

alright ill chime in here since i been down this road recently (last year actually). Last fall i bought myself a specialized fatboy setup with 4.8 (iirc) tires (full rigid) with the intent to keep it as an extra/snow/sand bike. I rode it exclusively in south jersey sand (mostly allaire) and in the fall i bought a stache (29+ hardtail) which i proceeded to ride everywhere i had previously ridden the fatbike. This winter i made apoint of riding the two of them back to back in the snow to gauge how they handled differently. My conclusion was that the fatbike isnt for me, i prefer the plus bike for numerous reasons (obviously its lighter, but that came to me later). Its more nimble, more versatile, more responsive and (IMO) more fun than the fatboy . . . .

obviously this is something you need to try out and figure for yourself, but i much prefer the stache to the fatboy. and have not noticed any issues with overall width on either bike (i do get occasional heel rub on the chainstays of my 27.5+ fuel, but thats unrelated).

So the plus bike was good, or at least acceptable in the snow?

just buy the ROS 9 frame listed here and build it up... you wont be disappointed
I've been looking at that. And purple too.

I've been on the Giant XtC 27.5+ for two years now. I bought it as the + version, and then bought 29" Crest wheels after. Race season I use the 29er's, and as soon as the last race is over I put the plus wheels back on. It's about a 3lb difference, but the + wheels are more forgiving and a bit more grippy. I never really got out in the snow much, so I can't opine on that.

XtC 275+.JPG
XtC Fall 17.JPG

I ride a Stache 29+ that does very well in Wildcat. The trick to the Stache are the short chainstays that offset stability of the big wheels. Not many bikes like it. Over the last couple of years, there have only been a couple of times in the winter where I wished I had a fat bike. If it's truly deep snow, fat bikes don't work either. It's a very small niche between where fat works and plus doesn't.

No interest in a fatbike but have a 27.5+ Horsethief and it works great pretty much anywhere. Trying to avoid snow but the few times I tried it was ok - like others have said the snow around here is often unrideable no matter what bike you have.

I've had rides in the snow where fat made the difference between fun and slog. Mental health requires me to be able to (at least try) and ride the winter. Maybe I can demo a plus bike and see if I like it enough in the dry to give it a go.

I've had rides in the snow where fat made the difference between fun and slog. Mental health requires me to be able to (at least try) and ride the winter. Maybe I can demo a plus bike and see if I like it enough in the dry to give it a go.
I rode in winter but on the road. But not tons... you could just get a smart trainer?

what size do you ride and where? might help ya find someone willing to let you ride their bike.

what size do you ride and where? might help ya find someone willing to let you ride their bike.
Werd. Denville, medium or large (five foot ten). Happy to lead Wildcat or Mahlon, can muddle around Stevens but I also kinda know a guy.
For swapsies, I have the Beargrease and a 27.5 Santa Cruz Heckler.

What's your hub spacing front and rear on the bear grease? And what's your drivetrain? If you got what I got I will lend you the 29+ wheels to try out.

What @shrpshtr325 failed to mention was "IMO" about 5 times ? until the end where I would debate his final assessment. I would bet my fat bike weighs significantly less then his stache and is way more versatile, i can make my fat a 29+ but can you make your stache fat?

Of course "that is my opinion ?"

My Vassago Ver Hauen is set up as a plus-bike. I did a number of 20+ mile rides at Kingdom Trails on it. While there are few rocks on those trails, some of them can be rather rooty and the plus tires do an admirable job of smoothing them out. I mostly ran a 2.8 WTB tire on both ends with Mulefut 50 wheels. It's getting replaced with a new Chameleon and Duroc wheels (I forget what width I bought) which is supposed to have more clearance for a better rear tire than the WTB.

If there was ever a case for buying one of those fancy blue-tooth tire pressure gadgets, a plus bike would be it. So, so sensitive to a few lbs of pressure one way or the other.

I have minimal experience on a fat bike, but the plus bike did OK in the snow a few times. Well enough that I don't see the need to add a fat bike to my quiver. That said, most of my riding is on a 130mm travel 29er trail bike.

I will be more than willing to allow a test ride on the Chameleon when it's built. I consider that one of my duties as a Santa Cruz brand ambassador.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom