Fanny Packs, Backpacks, Tools & Food

TommyF

Curious as to what others are using to carry essentials in and out of the trails? I'm good with a bottle cage on the bike for a beverage, but what about tools and snacks? I don't have a spot to put a bag on my bike so I'm interested in something to wear that's not to bulky.

I use one of these Wolf Tooth bags to carry:
2x CO2 cartridges
CO2 inflator head
Pack Pliers with appropriate 11 or 12sp master link
Tire lever
nitrile gloves
small amount or electric tape rolled onto a wood peg
Park Multitool
Stan's DART**
zip ties**
spare hanger**

Anything more goes in a CamelBak.

**edited to add

Last edited:
backcountryresearch.com makes straps that can hold a tube, multi tool, co2 pump with cartridges. If you have a dropper they can strap to your frame instead of under your saddle. They're super simple and effective.
I hate hip bags so I wear a USWE pack, basically a different brand Camelbak that's really comfortable.

SWAT box carries this at all times:

pxl_20210412_114358244-2-jpg.155590

I have a Osprey fanny pack I throw my food/water in for longer rides.

If the ride is long enough for backpack bladder

Small multi tool with chain breaker
Quick link
Tube
Zipties
My last will and testament
Pump
Shock pump

If I rock a fanny pack
Money for ice cream
Small multi tool no chain breaker
Water bottle

Don't over think it if you need it one ride you'll know for next time to bring it

either backpack w/bladder or hip pack with water bottle.

phone (for apps obviously), money or credit card, ID

CO2
hand pump (in the backpack)
stans dart tool
small multi-tool
mini first aid kit that includes: band aids, alcohol swabs, ointment, advil, antihistamine pill, tweezers (after a run in with a pointy plant in AZ), eye drops, hair ties and small bag for garbage
face mask (because covid)
JORBA bands

Snacks can include: Frooze balls, cliff bars, gu chews

Last edited:

That will fit anything you need to bring along. Since you already use water bottles it can accommodate 2 more for longer rides.

I've worn bulky packs for (literally) decades, but lately I've been interested in other options. My pack was made by Vaude and it's becoming less comfortable as it ages and doesn't stay centered on my back anymore.

One issue for me is I am so used to having a pack for water while mtn biking. I have bottles on my road bikes, but I definitely don't drink enough because of the bottles (simply put - I forget). The only mtn bike I regularly carry a water bottle on is my Megatower - mainly so I can have a bottle to drink from while riding a ski lift. The cage is one of those "clamping" types that tightens down on the bottle during runs. Years ago I learned a backpack + chair lifts = annoying.

I generally carry quite a bit: tools, food, compact pump, tube, spare gloves, plug kits, spare derailleur hanger - now a spare AXS battery, and a few things I'm forgetting (I really need to do an inventory...).

Anyway... I've been debating on trying a new pack and/or one of the new hip packs. Many recently introduced options.

hardtail, w/ 2 water cages. pump hanging from water cage. dakine gripper bag hanging from the seat (doesn't interfere w/ dropper). Bag holds stan's dart, spare tube, masterlink, M19 multitool in case since the bag is kinda open, tire lever and small ottolock. a couple of zip ties stuffed in the bottom bracket. skeletool, ID, CC, phone and snack(s) in short or jersey pockets.

I should probably consider some first aid items.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...e-bags-panniers/bontrager-rapid-pack/p/14798/

This is my go-to for rides up to and around 2 hours, when I only anticipate needing two bottles. One on the bike, one on the pack.

In the left pocket of the pack I have:
*Backcountry Research Tulbag containing:
-two CO2 cartridges and a Crank Brothers adaptor
-Lezyne plug kit
*Crank Brothers F10 multi tool
*2 6" Voile straps
*a pair of foldable +2 readers, in case I don't have @Mitch with me to see what needs to be fixed

I carry my phone and car key in the right pocket, and maybe extra food or whatever, on longer rides

For rides that ask for 3 bottles, I shift all of the above into the Lab Austere pack that @Tim posted above.

A tube and two tire levers are under the saddle, secured with an Awesome Strap.

If I do a longer ride but one that has me passing my car a few times I just keep everything in there and stop as needed. I always carry a multi tool in my shorts pocket though. I wear Fox Ranger shorts and the pockets are comfortably placed where I don't notice anything in my pockets. If it's a longer ride I stuff everything in my water pack bag.

I'm still a fan of the back pack. I really like my CamelBak Octane XCT. Not much storage space but it's light and has enough for the essentials: tube, C02, multi-tool (with chain breaker), tire levers and a few zipties.

My current setup on my gravel bike is a small specialized saddle bag and a "lead-out gear" handlebar bag.

Saddle Bag:
Tubolito Tubes (x2)
Park Tool TB-2 (tire boot)
Muc-Off Co2 inflator kit
tire levers, misc Allen keys

Handlebar Bag:
iPhone, car keys, wallet, wolf tooth Pack Pliers with 2 spare master links

When I cant use these bags I like carrying my small camelback. As long as they have chest straps and waist straps they usually don't bother me on longer rides.

IMG_5340-2.jpg

Last edited:
I have been thinking of ditchin my camelback mule. Has anyone used this bag from wolf tooth? I would get a smaller backpack for just water, no tools or xtras.

How does it handle longer items like a pump or handsaw?
You can stick a mini pump where the water bladder sits. As the bladder empties you sometimes feel the pump against your back. That’s why I carry a C02 instead. A hand saw is too bulky for this pack.

I'm still a fan of the back pack. I really like my CamelBak Octane XCT. Not much storage space but it's light and has enough for the essentials: tube, C02, multi-tool (with chain breaker), tire levers and a few zipties.
I loved that pack so much I bought another one that's still in plastic in my basement. My original still works, lasted through years of Spartan races and mtb. But ever since I bought the USWE pack, I doubt I'll use a different brand.

Back
Top Bottom